Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Source for used motorcycle parts? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/source-for-used-motorcycle-parts-12772.html)

Jay2TheRescue 07-12-2010 04:18 AM

Source for used motorcycle parts?

I screwed up installing my new air horn yesterday, and dinged up the front fender really bad. If I can get a decent used fender in the same color for a decent price, I'd rather just replace it than try to have the fender repaired. Unfortunately, since I'm so new at this, I have no idea where to go for parts like this. Is there any site like car-part.com that you can find good used motorcycle parts on? I already looked on Ebay, and my local Craig's list, and there isn't one in the right color currently listed.

Thanks everyone,
Jay

Bike info:

2006 Harley Dyna Super Glide FXDI
Color: Fire red pearl

cat0020 07-12-2010 11:13 AM

Good luck.

It's a Harley, not likely to find used parts at decent shape or price.. Take it like a man, go to your local Harley dealer and be prepared to get raped.

Jay2TheRescue 07-12-2010 12:22 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence. You always make me smile. If I'm gonna "get raped" I'll wait to fix it till after this year's riding season is pretty much over, and I'll take the fender off and see what a few local body shops can do for me. It just seems that a couple light taps from a ball peen hammer, and a light smear of bondo, and it could be repainted and nobody (but me) would know any different. I know my limitations, and I know that I would not be able to do a paint job that would meet my satisfaction.

cat0020 07-12-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 153055)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. You always make me smile. If I'm gonna "get raped" I'll wait to fix it till after this year's riding season is pretty much over, and I'll take the fender off and see what a few local body shops can do for me. It just seems that a couple light taps from a ball peen hammer, and a light smear of bondo, and it could be repainted and nobody (but me) would know any different. I know my limitations, and I know that I would not be able to do a paint job that would meet my satisfaction.

My vote of confidence is for the Harley dealer's capability to over-charge for most Harley parts that they sell, especially when parts that have to do with aesthetic, paint match, body parts.. Most Harley owners I've encountered gladly pay for the obscene prices to maintain their Harley image.

I tried a cruiser once, I enjoy riding far more than cleaning the bike, so I sold it:

https://173.74.246.28/ktmtalk/photoga...Centauro_2.jpg

Jay2TheRescue 07-12-2010 02:27 PM

I've been keeping the bike in the garage, covered when not in use. Luckily I have not had to clean it yet. I'm hoping I can keep the cleaning down to 1 afternoon a month. I had looked at rat bikes, but was scared that someone that didn't bother to keep it clean wouldn't maintain the bike well either (although personally, I haven't washed my Buick in years, the engine does run like a top). Sport bikes do not appeal to me at all, so that was out of the question. I just love the classic look of a cruiser style bike.

theholycow 07-12-2010 02:32 PM

I have no difficulty believing that everything cat0020 posted was correct, although I certainly do not have relevant experience.

I bet you could paint it. Do you think you can do the rest? Painting such a small piece should be very easy, and if you mess up you can try again very easily.

Jay2TheRescue 07-12-2010 02:37 PM

I have no doubt that a Harley dealer will prove to be the most costly. I also have no doubt that I will not be able to match the quality of the paint work on the rest of the bike. I'm thinking my best bet would be to just walk into a body shop with the fender in my hand, and ask them how much to fix the dings in the metal, and repaint it.