Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   92 Civic Hatch Seat Swap/Comfort Advice Needed (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/92-civic-hatch-seat-swap-comfort-advice-needed-12804.html)

XenuVX 07-26-2010 08:06 AM

92 Civic Hatch Seat Swap/Comfort Advice Needed

I am getting ready to take a 4000 mile road trip soon. But my Civic VX seats currently have me hurting after 60 miles. Something about them just doesn't jive with my spinal region and I don't really see the point of getting great mpg if I am going to be miserable the whole time and return home with scoliosis. So my question is:

Does anyone know of more comfortable seats that bolt directly into the Civic VX? The only swaps I have seen mentioned are for del sol seats, but I have also seen complaints that they ride very low and I haven't seen any comments on if they are more comfortable or not. I understand that probably any seats can be made to fit with enough work, but I don't have the time or mechanical skills for a major project.

Alternatively, has anyone found a method of making the VX seats more comfortable or found any seat cushioning products that they like? It is more the backrest part of the seat that bothers me than the actual seat part of the seat.

jadziasman 07-28-2010 03:01 PM

The seats in the VX are not the best, that's true. But, why oh why are you taking a VX on a 4000 mile road trip? That's punishment in itself. Road noise will be a constant companion and the ride will be harsh if the roads are rough. Please tell me you have an aftermarket cruise control unit installed. If you don't, there's your whole problem in a nutshell.

I'd say your best bet is to place a small pillow - like a throw pillow used on a sofa on the seat behind your lower back. Even with cruise control on my VX, a little extra lower back support helps me tolerate the ride better.

I just completed an 1100 mile roundtrip with my 92 VX three weeks ago (average 47 mpg, AC on all the time, 70- 75 mph). Fortunately, the roads in Tennesee, Kentucky, and Ohio were pretty decent. I wish I could say the same about my adopted home state of Michigan. The roads I drive every day are really bad. I'm amazed my VX hasn't fallen apart like the Bluesmobile did outside the Daley Center (yet) after 5 years and 107,000 miles.

LarryJ 07-29-2010 04:22 PM

Have you looked at the seats from similar year civics with differentr trim, like the Si or Dx. Not sure of the precise name of the higher end cars, but i think you understand my thought.
I absolutely loved the seats in my old VX. Wish my golf tdi had similar ones with the lower lumbar.

XenuVX 08-04-2010 01:14 PM

Re: 92 Civic Hatch Seat Swap/Comfort Advice Needed

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadziasman (Post 153482)
The seats in the VX are not the best, that's true. But, why oh why are you taking a VX on a 4000 mile road trip? That's punishment in itself. Road noise will be a constant companion and the ride will be harsh if the roads are rough. Please tell me you have an aftermarket cruise control unit installed. If you don't, there's your whole problem in a nutshell.

I'd say your best bet is to place a small pillow - like a throw pillow used on a sofa on the seat behind your lower back. Even with cruise control on my VX, a little extra lower back support helps me tolerate the ride better.

I just completed an 1100 mile roundtrip with my 92 VX three weeks ago (average 47 mpg, AC on all the time, 70- 75 mph). Fortunately, the roads in Tennesee, Kentucky, and Ohio were pretty decent. I wish I could say the same about my adopted home state of Michigan. The roads I drive every day are really bad. I'm amazed my VX hasn't fallen apart like the Bluesmobile did outside the Daley Center (yet) after 5 years and 107,000 miles.

Yeah after thinking on it for a week I decided I am going to take my G20 Conversion Van instead. I was sort of psyched to think I could drive 4000 miles in the VX for about $250 but the comfort of the van is worth paying 2 or 3x that I think. Especially since I plan on visiting Yellowstone and someone just got dragged out of their tent and eaten by a bear. At least I can sleep in the van, which allows me some bear protection and will help me make up some of the extra gas money by skipping motels.

I still want to replace the VX seats at some point but it is no longer an urgent issue. Thanks for the replies.

jadziasman 08-04-2010 01:30 PM

Re: 92 Civic Hatch Seat Swap/Comfort Advice Needed

Be sure to lock yourself inside for the night. Bears have learned how to operate the door handles on G20 vans (haven't they?).

Have fun at Yellowstone. It's one of the places I should visit before I die. However, it's so much easier to sit here and write this dreck instead.