Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Working on a new membership system (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/working-on-a-new-membership-system-12820.html)

Jay2TheRescue 08-06-2010 03:46 PM

Working on a new membership system

Longtime members, don't be alarmed if all of a sudden you show as "new member" or "junior member" on your profile page this weekend. I'm working on a new system. If by Monday morning you feel your permissions or membership class is wrong by that time send me a PM and I will look into why you didn't automatically get promoted to the proper class.

Thanks,
Jay

Jay2TheRescue 08-06-2010 04:00 PM

Re: Working on a new membership system

Here's the ranking system I'm working on:

New Member - First level. Default group for new members

Junior Member - Promotion activated after 30 days and 25 posts.

Regular Member - Promotion activated after 60 days and 150 posts

Senior Member - Promotion activated after 180 days and 1,000 posts.

We will also be working on a progressive list of features available as you move up through the ranks.

GasSavers_BEEF 08-06-2010 07:54 PM

some sites have rules about the first few posts having to be approved first or there being a waiting period before posting.

that could cut back on spam (though y'all do a pretty good job around here with it)

DRW 08-06-2010 11:10 PM

Should each promotion be dependant on a certain number of days and a certain number of posts? Why not 'or'.

theholycow 08-07-2010 04:05 AM

If it was 'or', then spammers would just need to stay under the radar for that number of days or they could just post a lot for instant gratification. They are quite crafty and some are more patient than you'd think; we've had seemingly innocent members come back and edit spam into their posts or profiles days or weeks later after a thread has turned a new page, for example.

Jay2TheRescue 08-07-2010 04:40 AM

HC is right. For reasons of SPAM, Members with less than 30 days with us, and less than 25 posts no longer have signature privileges, cannot use animated avatars, and they also cannot send PM's to multiple recipients at one time. This is to prevent someone posting 2 or 3 times, then adding SPAM to their signature a week or 2 later.

Another subtle change that I have made is when viewing the member list, who's online, the listing of who's logged in in the past 24 hours at the bottom of the forum page, and such, members that have given contributions of time and/or money to the site are now shown in Bold type. These are: Red Star, Blue Star, Silver Star, Senior Members, Super Moderators, and Administrators.

There are a few other changes behind the scenes, but most members will probably never notice them, as it is geared towards users with less than 30 days and 25 posts.

Jay2TheRescue 08-07-2010 01:01 PM

Still working on it... I decided to make one more class of member. It bothered me to see over 7,000 users stuck in "New Member" because they had less than 25 posts, but more than 30 days membership. Here is our new rank structure:

New Member - First level. Default group for new members

Greenhorn - Promotion activated after 30 days. (same privileges as New Member)

Junior Member - Promotion activated after 25 posts.

Regular Member - Promotion activated after 60 days and 150 posts

Senior Member - Promotion activated after 180 days and 1,000 posts

Also as a reminder to everyone, posts in the off topic portions of the site do not count towards post count or promotion.

IndyFetch 10-04-2012 04:09 PM

I have been demoted back to a new member... :(

Janet H 10-04-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetch (Post 168007)
I have been demoted back to a new member... :(

And you more notable now ;)

Jay2TheRescue 10-04-2012 05:27 PM

LOL. Probably what the new admin was put everyone back in the new member category and let the promotions run their course. Some ranks may have been messed up with the upgrade to the forum software.