Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   so i jumped on the lrr band wagon. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/so-i-jumped-on-the-lrr-band-wagon-13141.html)

kit352 12-20-2010 05:05 PM

so i jumped on the lrr band wagon.

my tires are shot on my car so i finally figured it was time for the lrr's. I ended up with kumho kr22. they had the best price and warranty as well as decent all around reviews. price matched tire-rack at town fair tire and got them for 80 bucks each.
Im only gonna put 2 on the rear for now because im very worried about the snow driving and ill use my spare m+s ones up front till i get used to the lrr's.

kit352 01-07-2011 12:16 PM

Re: so i jumped on the lrr band wagon.

so town fair screwed up every possible angle of the process and i had to reorder them from tire rack. got them in one day with no extra charges. initial impressions look good. they are very, very hard compound and have a gloss to them other tires dont. tread looks good for most weather conditions but ive been warned they dont do well in heavy rain or snow. they do carry a 100k mile warranty so if all goes well should be the last tires ill need for years. they are light as well. when i pop off my old tires ill weight the difference. sidewall psi states 44psi max too. I thought it would be much higher.

theholycow 01-07-2011 01:58 PM

I look forward to your initial impressions after driving them, as well as a post in a few years about actual fuel economy effect and wear. :thumbup:

SL8Brick 01-07-2011 05:32 PM

Got my eye on a set of KH30s...let us know how they work 4U.

bobc455 01-08-2011 04:09 AM

I know that Holland is a bit far from Reading, but if you are up for the trip I'd be happy to mount & balance them for you. And we can compare them while they are off the rim, or whatever.

Plus, that would be a good highway trip to compare before & after MPG.

-BC

kit352 01-08-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobc455 (Post 157056)
I know that Holland is a bit far from Reading, but if you are up for the trip I'd be happy to mount & balance them for you. And we can compare them while they are off the rim, or whatever.

Plus, that would be a good highway trip to compare before & after MPG.

-BC

thanks for the offer, i may take you up on it. im waiting for the weather to clear up abit so i can do the 5th gear tranny swap as well and had planned on doing those at the same time but id rather hold off the tranny. i doubt working on the tranny will go smoothly in this cold.
since Im just doing the rears for now im not really expecting a gain. Id like to see some extra distance while rolling which may translate into better mpg but i dont think so. if i cant stand driving with them id rather have spent just alittle money rather than the whole sets worth.
from what ive read and what kuhmo told me the tires will get better with age. they tend to pick up 25% better rolling resistance after the tire breaks in.

JanGeo 01-09-2011 07:02 AM

I can vouch for Bob - he does a great job mounting the tires and balancing them. Holland Ma is not as far as I drove to meet with Bob but it is well worth it.

Bob - get some Torco GP-7 two stroke oil and add about 2-3cc per 10 gallons of gas to help lube the top end. You could easily change the rear end gear oil and tranny fluid to Synlube and see some improvement before you rebuild the engine. Friction is your main mpg killer way before air drag.

Wyldesoul 01-09-2011 01:20 PM

What do you mean that friction is a main killer way before air drag? Internal engine friction modification gives improvements that are pathetic compared to the improvement you can get with aero mods.

A 10% improvement in MPG by internal friction mods is really, really reaching. A 100% improvement in MPG by nothing but Aero has been done by Basjoos.

theholycow 01-09-2011 01:44 PM

I was wondering the same thing...I figured he meant theoretically, not talking about what can be improved but rather where the energy goes.

JanGeo 01-10-2011 08:34 AM

In Bob's case he has a 455 cubic inch supercharged engine - lots of big moving parts there and a rear end and auto tranny that can handle the over 600 HP at the rear wheels. Believe me there is plenty of friction there.