Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Hf transmission swap into a VX (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/hf-transmission-swap-into-a-vx-13308.html)

vxdude 02-20-2011 07:50 AM

Hf transmission swap into a VX

I was wondering has any done this, found plenty of folks that has taken their HF and put a D15z1, What about the other way around? Taking the Federal Hf Transmission and putting it into the VX.

GasSavers_Erik 02-20-2011 11:53 AM

Re: Hf transmission swap into a VX

It is a good idea- the HF trans has taller gearing so it would likely get better mpg.

Is there a minimum rpm for for the VX lean burn to work?

silversol 02-20-2011 03:35 PM

It will not work! The hf trans has a diffrent mount, cable operated speedo,and a cable operated clutch. All oposite of the vx

vxdude 02-20-2011 06:45 PM

How do people put in a D15Z1 in an HF with a hf trans?

GasSavers_Erik 02-21-2011 05:35 AM

Even with the differences silversol mentioned, it would be possible- just not easy.

Clutch activation- There are kits to adapt from cable to hydraulic clutch, I assume you could go the other way as well (or even make one yourself).

Speedometer- You would have to get a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) signal off the HF trans that your VX ECU could use. Many of the last cable driven honda speedometers had a VSS embedded in the dash gauge cluster- maybe you could rip one apart and have the HF spedo cable drive that component somewhere under the hood.

Trans mount- this might have to be custom made. If you have some welding skills, it is not too difficult. When I converted my civic from manual trans to auto trans, I just bought the trans and accessories a junkyard. I didn't know that the tranny mounts were different until I got the trans in, so I had to spend a few hours making my own trans mount.

Now if the bell housing bolt patterns are different, that would be a much bigger problem...

imzjustplayin 02-24-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 158175)

Speedometer- You would have to get a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) signal off the HF trans that your VX ECU could use. Many of the last cable driven honda speedometers had a VSS embedded in the dash gauge cluster- maybe you could rip one apart and have the HF spedo cable drive that component somewhere under the hood.

Even easier, the OP could get a VSS from a newer '92+ transmission and it drops right into where the cable driven vehicle speed sensor goes on the cable transmission. True plug and play in this instance!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 158175)
Trans mount- this might have to be custom made. If you have some welding skills, it is not too difficult. When I converted my civic from manual trans to auto trans, I just bought the trans and accessories a junkyard. I didn't know that the tranny mounts were different until I got the trans in, so I had to spend a few hours making my own trans mount.

Now if the bell housing bolt patterns are different, that would be a much bigger problem...

I don't know about this, I think the mounts should be the same since there really isn't all that big of a difference between the cable and hydro trannys. I hear of people using cable trannys with hydro engines all the time.

imzjustplayin 02-24-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vxdude (Post 158131)
I was wondering has any done this, found plenty of folks that has taken their HF and put a D15z1, What about the other way around? Taking the Federal Hf Transmission and putting it into the VX.

OP, if you're wanting to do this swap because of your unexciting fuel economy you're getting, I think a better question to ask is, the 45mpg you're getting, is that with or without hypermiling? You should be able to do better than 45mpg assuming you're not ragging on your car..

Rusty94cx 11-13-2012 06:37 PM

They bolt together there is no conversion kit and good luck with parts. However I think the way to do it is to have the gears installed into your case. I believe they are interchangeable. More$ but probably much less headache and Mickey rigging. My 2 cents.