Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/sea-foam-or-marvel-mystery-oil-13314.html)

Davo53209 02-21-2011 10:43 PM

Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil

As some of you already know, I have recently purchased an 04 Toyota Corrolla LE, whereas I'm clearly intent on babying it (i.e with in reason) quality products. I'm at a point right now, where I am trying to decide which product performs best, with regards to the fuel system. Should it be Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil. Do both products do relatively the same thing, or is one product more specfic for a one kind of application over the other?

On a slightly different note, what is it that the pros use to professionally clean out your fuel injectors, and is what they use superior to either Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil?
Thank You.

Sincerely,
Dave

PhileasFogg 02-22-2011 12:17 AM

Re: Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil

Seafoam ...... Seafoam ...... Seafoam. There is nothing that works as well as Seafoam for a fuel system that has been neglected. After you use the Seafoam use Lucas Fuel Treatment regularly.

theholycow 02-22-2011 05:18 AM

I'm going to preface this with pretty much the same thing I said in the oil thread: If such a young car can benefit in any way from that kind of babying then Toyota was severely negligent in designing and building it.

That said, it's my opinion that Seafoam is not the best choice for diluting into your fuel. It is expensive and designed primarily for other purposes; it can't be the best at everything. I recommend something less expensive that you can put in much stronger (or much more often) with the same investment.

Davo53209 02-22-2011 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 158199)
I'm going to preface this with pretty much the same thing I said in the oil thread: If such a young car can benefit in any way from that kind of babying then Toyota was severely negligent in designing and building it.

That said, it's my opinion that Seafoam is not the best choice for diluting into your fuel. It is expensive and designed primarily for other purposes; it can't be the best at everything. I recommend something less expensive that you can put in much stronger (or much more often) with the same investment.

So how would you feel about Marvel Mystery Oil?

theholycow 02-22-2011 05:57 AM

I would look to products made specifically for adding to fuel, such as Techron for a premium product, and average inexpensive cleaners. I don't think you'll harm anything (other than your wallet) using magical "does everything" oils in your fuel but I think it'd be a waste.

I think other users here have strongly recommended fuel additive products by Redline and BG44.

add|ct 02-22-2011 06:37 AM

Yes, not so much as a cleanup type of additive, MMO is more of a 'maintenance' product when used in your fuel(every 10 gallons in my case to the tune of $.45 cents if I used it every time I filled up per the directions).

I have used SeaFoam before, but sparingly now, somewhat because it has isopropyl/alcohol which may be a problem if you are experiencing moisture entry into your fuel system. Otherwise, I've used it with no problems every now and then personally.

Otherwise? I just use Premium on rare occasion and have started using MMO experimenting, since it's relatively cheap.

What holycow said though, those products are big time favorites. Techron seems to perform nicely and if you don't want to purchase the additive, try going to a local Chevron and purchasing their premium for a couple fill ups and be done.

PhileasFogg 02-22-2011 12:38 PM

There guys are all way off base. I've seen what Seafoam can do. BTW dont add it to your fuel tank. Oil companies are selling is the cheapest stuff they can get by with and calling it gasoline. And our cars are tuned to worry about emissions. That equals carbon build up inside your engine. Period. Drive your car and get it up to operating temprature. Have some one sit in it at idle. Take off a vacume hose and drop it in the can of seafoam. The vacume will pull the saefom into you intake system. The person behind the wheel will have to bring the RPMs up to keep the engine from dying. You may have to take the house in and out of the can a few times. You may have to rev the engin to 2500 rpm or so. The car will smoke like you have never seen. Do this until you get half the can in the engine. Then turn the car off and let it sit for one hour. Go to the car after one hour and start it up and drive it hard until it stops somking. The smoke is carbon buildup burning off. Wait a week and use the other half can in the same fashon. Then about once a month add Lucas Fuel Treatment to a tank of gas. That's it and ALL cars that burn US gas can benifit from this.

theholycow 02-22-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhileasFogg (Post 158219)
There guys are all way off base. I've seen what Seafoam can do. BTW dont add it to your fuel tank.

I don't think anyone here was saying that Seafoam is not a good product, just that it's not the right product to add to your fuel tank and it's better used elsewhere.

Davo53209 02-23-2011 07:13 AM

So what is it that the pros use to clean your fuel injectors? Would I be better off going at that route, or is there something off the self from the local autopart store that's a comparable and cheaper solution?

theholycow 02-23-2011 07:31 AM

Pros take the injectors out of the car and clean them on the bench (except the ones who are just taking your money out of your wallet). It is possible to do that at home too.

In my signature there's a link to my meta-sig. Click that. Near the top there's links to info on DIY and professional cleaning.