Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Refrigerator Replacement (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/refrigerator-replacement-13473.html)

bowtieguy 04-13-2011 11:07 AM

Refrigerator Replacement

in our new(to us) house, we've had our first appliance failure...the fridge. just wanted to let anyone know that is interested, sears.com has a $1000 side by side high efficiency kenmore on sale for $600. it's comes up first thing after you click to appliances, then refrigerators.

2 stipulations tho: it comes in black only at that price, and you have to wait 2 to 3 weeks for pick up or delivery, respectively. free delivery, but not free take away of your old one, btw.

use your discover card and get 5% cash back as well.

theholycow 04-13-2011 11:39 AM

Re: Refrigerator Replacement

Don't accept free removal of your old fridge if you have a truck or can borrow one. You can get $20-30 for dumping it at a scrap metal recycler. I went with an old fridge thinking I'd have to pay because of environmental requirements for disposing of the refrigerant and was surprised that they wanted to pay me.

Jay2TheRescue 04-13-2011 11:50 AM

2 months ago I dropped off an old hot water heater at my local scrap recycler, and got $18!

IndyFetch 04-13-2011 02:14 PM

Put an ad in craigslist. People buy them for parts. A used-appliance guy may just want the doors or shelves, but you may get more than you would otherwise.

VetteOwner 04-13-2011 08:07 PM

those side by sides are usually costly to run and not very efficent.

freezer on top fridge on bottoms are the most efficent since cold air wants to sink...

theholycow 04-14-2011 04:49 AM

Convection doesn't work when there's a barrier preventing it.

Jay2TheRescue 04-14-2011 05:00 AM

Actually, the units with the freezer as a drawer on the bottom are most efficient. When you open a door, the cold air falls out. When you open a drawer, the cool air stays in. There is less loss when opening the unit to add or remove items.

trollbait 04-14-2011 06:07 AM

An actual enclosed drawer would be better, but my bottom freezer uses wire drawers. I still prefer it, because having the fridge on top is more convenient.

Most reviews and tests I've seen have the freezer on top doing slightly better than on the bottom in energy use. The freezer is next to the compressor, and, most likely because of their market share, manufacturers may not give their design as much attention.

The motor on the bottom is a design flaw of all common residential fridges. There are reasons that the early, high end efficient, and commercial fridges put the motor on top.

VetteOwner 04-14-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 159805)
An actual enclosed drawer would be better, but my bottom freezer uses wire drawers. I still prefer it, because having the fridge on top is more convenient.

Most reviews and tests I've seen have the freezer on top doing slightly better than on the bottom in energy use. The freezer is next to the compressor, and, most likely because of their market share, manufacturers may not give their design as much attention.

The motor on the bottom is a design flaw of all common residential fridges. There are reasons that the early, high end efficient, and commercial fridges put the motor on top.

yea the theory freezer on bottom is better is only true if its literally like a n enclosed tub, most of the ones i seen are like a sliding wire basket where it would fall all over the place.

plus having the compressor motor right behind the freezer doesnt make too much sense. kinda like putting the frozen groceries right in front of the heater vent in a car in the winter instead of the trunk (farthest spot away)

i wish they made fridges like they used to.. our 40 year old GE is still kickin it in the basement being cold as ever:D

GasSavers_Pete 04-16-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetch (Post 159782)
Put an ad in craigslist. People buy them for parts. A used-appliance guy may just want the doors or shelves, but you may get more than you would otherwise.

Yep I did that with an old vacuum cleaner.
The motor was burned out after about 20+ years but the frame and plastic containers were all still good.

Someone took it for those since they have a fairly high attrition rate being sort of barrel shaped and stick out at the sides. The vac is ...rather was...bagless and the same design is still being used today so the plastic parts still work.

Better that than landfill.

Peter.