Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Hydrogen Generator! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/hydrogen-generator-1352.html)

Compaq888 11-25-2005 12:47 AM

Well I found all the metal I

Well I found all the metal I need thanks to flatland. Now the problem is I need to get a device that measures amprage. I don't want to screw up my car so I have to doing a certain amprage to keep my electrical stuff safe.

So far I spent $60 and I have to spend about another $30 on just metal. Then have to buy a amprage device. I think by the time I finish it would of been cheaper to buy a beater and be done with it.

Flatland obviously knows more about this than I do, and I don't have any money to blow so I'm going to wait for you guys.

I have no idea what kind of meter to buy, there are so many kinds. I know I need the one that measures amps.

I think they are like $10-20. Any recommendations?
I want to get this done already.

SVOboy 11-25-2005 05:05 AM

Any old cheap thing should

Any old cheap thing should do. I generally borrow one when I need to measure something, so I've never had to buy anything, but just get something cheap and if it doen't work, return it. You are getting rather high in the prices, I wonder how these people sell kits on ebay for like 20 bucks or that custom made assembled one for 100 buck, hope it works though!!

diamondlarry 11-25-2005 05:49 AM

I once found an ammeter

I once found an ammeter guage on Ebay. It seems like it was around $10-$15. I had tried all of the local places and could only find voltmeters.

Compaq888 11-25-2005 09:51 AM

But how do ammeters work???

But how do ammeters work??? Do I turn on my hydrogen generator and while it's on connect it to the plus and the minus?

Compaq888 11-25-2005 09:55 AM

Re: Any old cheap thing should

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Any old cheap thing should do. I generally borrow one when I need to measure something, so I've never had to buy anything, but just get something cheap and if it doen't work, return it. You are getting rather high in the prices, I wonder how these people sell kits on ebay for like 20 bucks or that custom made assembled one for 100 buck, hope it works though!!

Well I'm getting high in the prices because I have almost enough materials to build 2 systems.

I have no doubt that with only water and electrodes and electricity the metal won't corrode. But the crap like draino which makes the reaction better might kill the metal. We will see.

SVOboy 11-25-2005 09:58 AM

Any reaction stuff I can

Any reaction stuff I can test out for you at home?

Compaq888 11-25-2005 10:02 AM

actually yeah, can you

actually yeah, can you measure the amprage between the distances of the 2 electrodes????

Use 12 gauge wire. And ammeter.

Try these 4 distances. .25", .50", 1", and 2"

That would help me a lot since I am low on money.

If you have any questions, ask.

SVOboy 11-25-2005 10:35 AM

Sure thing, just lemme get

Sure thing, just lemme get into school on monday to get the ammeter and the correct gauge wire and I'll do it during one of my free periods.

Compaq888 11-25-2005 10:42 AM

remember to use a 12 volt

remember to use a 12 volt source.

diamondlarry 11-25-2005 01:27 PM

You would connect the

You would connect the ammeter in one of the leads. What I do is hook it up and make sure the needle swings the right way. If it doesn't, I switch the leads around. It kind of works like a water pressue or, since this is an automotive forum, a fuel pressure gauge.