Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Window Up or Down? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/window-up-or-down-13593.html)

GasSavers_Erik 05-22-2011 01:19 PM

Re: Window Up or Down?

HC- good point.

I verified that the 94 Accord ac compressor will only run when the defrost is on or when the ac button is pushed, it doesn't run when the selector is on "vent" and "recirculate" without the ac button pushed. In fact, I feel the car shudder when driving at interstate speed as the compressor kicks on and off as the position of the ac button is changed.

trollbait 05-23-2011 05:23 AM

In my experience, Fords and GMs use the compressor with recirculate, and Toyotas don't.

theholycow 05-23-2011 08:04 AM

I googled it. One person on a BMW forum said Fords do not do it (and BMWs do, which is why I found that forum as a result). The proposed purpose is to remove humidity that could build up inside.

Thanks but no thanks, if it gets humid I can turn on the A/C myself.

Another proposed purpose is to exercise the A/C system and keep the compressor lubricated. That makes more sense to me.

Jay2TheRescue 05-23-2011 09:16 AM

My dad once said older Chryslers used to run the compressors for 20 seconds each time the car was started to keep it lubricated.

Bill in Houston 05-24-2011 09:25 AM

I agree that manually cycling the compressor is the way to go. I can keep it cool enough, and the compressor seems to be engaged a lot less.

trollbait 05-25-2011 04:16 AM

Quote:

One person on a BMW forum said Fords do not do it
Perhaps newer ones don't, or I'm just misremembering what the Sable manual said. To complicate things some, we have the auto climate control, and I was checking to see if it was possible to just turn on the fan without the compressor. It is, but it isn't clear on the control panel when you have to set an actual temperature. I'm not fond auto climate systems.

theholycow 05-25-2011 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 161037)
I'm not fond auto climate systems.

Agreed 100%.

Jay2TheRescue 05-25-2011 06:44 AM

Call me a spoiled American if you will, but I <3 automatic climate systems (until they break).

GasSavers_BEEF 05-25-2011 06:50 AM

windows down at any speed (A/C busted for 7 years now and too cheap to fix it)

I think myth busters did a bit on this one but I don't recall what they found with it. they used an explorer and ran an entire tank through at a closed course/race track. it was late and I fell asleep. really wish I would have caught the end of that episode.

palemelanesian 05-25-2011 08:29 AM

The new Ford Fiesta runs the AC in "stealth mode" in the defrost position. Both the defrost position and defrost-and-feet do this. The AC on/off light doesn't light up and you can't turn it off.