Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Getting Started in a 1999 CRV (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/getting-started-in-a-1999-crv-13653.html)

Minibear453 06-14-2011 06:28 PM

Getting Started in a 1999 CRV

Hey guys, I'm just starting to drive, and I've received a 1999 CRV. What can I do to save gas? It's automatic, and I'm not sure if P&G will work, nor do I want to go in neutral all the time (I'm just starting).

Also, how can I mod the car to save gas? I'm thinking of wheel covers, rear wheel skirts, possibly a dam, or a belly pan, but does a dam do a belly pan's work and vice versa? Also, any more suggestions on mods?

IndyFetch 06-14-2011 06:32 PM

Re: Getting Started in a 1999 CRV

The easiest and cheapest way to start is to find ways to remove items, such as roof rails, if your CR-V is so equipped.

yaryarbing 06-15-2011 01:26 AM

Increase tire pressure to maximum permitted on sidewall.

vxdude 06-15-2011 04:40 AM

you gotta get a scangauge...

theholycow 06-15-2011 05:04 AM

Welcome.

You can do these modifications:
- Maximum tire pressure (as yaryarbing said)
- Scangauge (or the much better-priced Ultragauge) (as vxdude said)
- Of course the mods you listed
- Roof rack and other accessory delete (as Fetch said)
- Grill block
- Kammback, maybe
- Certainly some other things I forgot
The tire pressure and SG/UG will produce the best results among those mods. Keep in mind that any investment of money may take a long time to pay for itself.

Even without any neutral coasting you can practice these (and more) techniques:
- Keep a detailed gaslog and use accurate filling habits
- Drive as if you have lame brakes; instead of stopping at red lights, slow far ahead so you can roll through the green light.
- Conserve your momentum by not slowing down unnecessarily (for turns, bumps in the road, etc)
- A 2-3 second draft behind a big rig on the highway is the legally proper distance and the best place to save fuel
- Lower speed, of course, always helps
- Experiment with different acceleration rates
- With a UG or SG, try to become familiar with your car's DFCO behavior and you may be able to take advantage of that, although if you're not comfortable with neutral then you probably wouldn't be comfortable downshifting to extend your DFCO

bowtieguy 06-15-2011 01:57 PM

forgive me if this an unacceptable alternative, but i often think out of the box...

unless the car was a gift and has sentimental or unforeseen value, why not sell it for a small car? honda has a GREAT following, and you could get top dollar for it.

if you truly want exceptional fuel economy, you may have to find something else.

Minibear453 06-16-2011 04:08 PM

How much would wheel skirts, wheel caps, air dams, belly pans, or blocking off the grill do for the car?

bowtieguy 06-16-2011 04:18 PM

too difficult to even speculate. i suspect, even with ALL of those mods, you wouldn't reach 30mpg.

theholycow 06-16-2011 04:45 PM

EPA rated 20/23, should be possible to reach 30 with tire pressure and P&G...without P&G, maybe still possible with all that stuff and very patient driving.

Minibear453 06-17-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 161635)
too difficult to even speculate. i suspect, even with ALL of those mods, you wouldn't reach 30mpg.

So in other words, the effects of those mods are negligible?

Also, is it possible to P&G with an automatic? Without going neutral and back?