Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   New to site, just got 1992 Civic VX (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/new-to-site-just-got-1992-civic-vx-13709.html)

acaaew 07-14-2011 01:28 PM

New to site, just got 1992 Civic VX

I am new to the site even though I have been lurking for a while. I was using the site for research for my new ride. I just purchased a 1992 civic vx today for $2200. The car needs some cosmetic work but it runs and drives fine. It?s the only VX I have seen that has working AC. The car was in a accident and the airbag went off so I need to get a new steering wheel or find a cover. It was in on the passenger side fender but the alignment seems fine. The car is completely stock and it was being used as a commuter. No stupid mods like CAI, exhaust, or wing on back. I get tired of seeing engine swaps done on these unicorns of gas savers. If they are going to use a civic and they want a hatchback at least use a CX.

Well one of the first things I need is tires. I lookup up the stock size, 165/70-13 and tire rack had a set but they are $56/tire. Is there a alternate size I can install that will affect my mileage as little as possible? Other than that I don't need to do anything right now. I am sure I will have questions when I start fixing the cosmetic issues but they can wait. I will also post pics this weekend after I get a chance to clean it up. I will also start my gas log as soon as I can measure my mileage.

One last thing, at first I was only looking for a 1996 and up civic because of the obd2. I wanted to get a scangauge so that I can get the most out of my hypermiling. Is there a way I can get a similar setup for my obd1 vx? I did some searching and all I found are old posts. I want to see if there is any new development on this.

acaaew 07-14-2011 01:46 PM

Re: New to site, just got 1992 Civic VX

I also forgot to add that it has a exhaust rattle. Is there a typical area it gets loose on these cars. I tried to check but the car was too hot after the test drive.

jadziasman 07-14-2011 04:39 PM

An exhaust rattle can be many places. One bad spot in particular is at the bend in the downpipe underneath the oil pan. The pipe tends to rust through there due to condensation during cool down. The water collects in that spot and will rust through. Did on mine. It will also rust the heat shield in the same area, which will come loose and rattle - it did on mine.

175/70-13 will work fine but 13 inch tires are becoming rare. The major retailers won't stock them any more.

As to a scan gauge, it's difficult as you say because of OBD1. Not worth the investment if you ask me. Not much the scan gauge will tell you that will help increase fuel economy, especially if your VX has CA emissions.

I wish I didn't give my 92 VX to my brother but I have three cars currently and had no space for it any longer. It was fun to drive.

Good luck with your new baby.

acaaew 07-17-2011 01:00 PM

I was wrong on the wheel size on the car. It has 14" wheels and I think they are from a HX. The tire size on it right now is 185/65-14. I just purchased 2 new tires for it today and I am going to get the other 2 in a few weeks.