Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   grill blocks (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/grill-blocks-13724.html)

goofy1 07-19-2011 09:37 AM

grill blocks

I'm thinking about doing a homemade grill block on the Prizm. But while sitting in traffic today(with no A/C running) I notice the temp went up to 202F. If I do a grill block, wouldn't the temp skyrocket while in traffic, even with the rad. fan going?

goofy1 07-19-2011 09:38 AM

Re: grill blocks

Oh forgot something. The normal running temp to 188F.

vxdude 07-19-2011 09:59 AM

try half grill block and see where you stand...But if your thinking about using your ac, i would not do the half grill block either, wait till fall..

goofy1 07-19-2011 10:18 AM

Yeah, I have to use A/C with 100+ and the heat index on top of that. So don't even do a half block right now? Any other simply aero mods that could work right now?

vxdude 07-19-2011 10:58 AM

front lip, mirror delete, rear diffuser, underbody panel just to name a few

goofy1 07-19-2011 11:27 AM

I'll look into those. But most I would wait on until the car is paid off.

i-DSi 07-23-2011 05:39 AM

My experience: I use a grill block since end 2009 on my black Civic. In summer around 60%, winter 85-95%. I don't suffer the temps you have now in US. But...strangely enough: in summer, if I use the AC my temps (engine and radiator) go down. That's because the fans are forced to run in such case (compressor AC engaged). And with approx. 40% open a lot of air is still sucked in.
Results of this mod are positive, but nothing more than a single % or so. I had much more notible result when going from 10W40 to 0W20 engine oil.
An my last mod was an engine block heater. Also positive result of course, but seem a bit less influencing than the engine oil. Allthough the period I only had the 0W20 without the EBH was very short. So I can't show any hard data as I did my mods a bit to fast one after the other.

grsshpr1 07-26-2011 07:50 AM

i'm going to be creating a aerogrill for my cobalt soon it's not going to completely close off the grill because we need that air flow for a reason but it will allow the air to flow more smoothly compared to getting chopped up by my factory grill

shatto 08-07-2011 11:09 AM

Since GM and Ford are currently advertising cars with automatic grill blocks, I have to think there might be something to them.

If your temperature gauge reads hotter than normal;
1. Radiator shops usually don't charge to test the radiator.
2. After shut-down, pull the fan fuze, and feel the bottom of the radiator. if it is cool it needs replacement.

VetteOwner 08-07-2011 04:52 PM

yea i only have a grillblock in the winter, temps go too high for my comfort in the summer and one car has no gauge just an idiot light that i dont trust

saveing a few cents in gas isnt gonna do much when its a $900 head gasket/warped head job haha