Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Looking at a used truck tonight (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/looking-at-a-used-truck-tonight-13752.html)

IndyFetch 07-28-2011 07:19 AM

Looking at a used truck tonight

I'm going to look at a 1992 Chevy 1500 Pickup tonight. It's an extended cab, short-bed, 2WD with a 350 V8 and a 5-speed manual. Seller has title.

On the phone, this is what the seller told me:
Grille and headlights are from 1998 Tahoe. Seller put a custom front end on his Tahoe, and put the Tahoe front end on the Truck. He claims the truck was not wrecked.
Cab corners are rusted. Seller will provide new cab corner for one side.
200K on truck. Engine and Transmission are original. No oil leaks.
Battery, alternator, and radiator replaced last summer. New tune-up at the same time.
Water pump just started leaking (barely a drip).
Hitch is included.
Cloth interior, split bench.
All power accessories (windows, locks, etc.) work.
A/C blows cold and heat works fine.
Stereo, amp, and sub included with truck (will remove if I want to lower price by $100).

Seller is only asking $1,500.00.

I plan on verifying what I can from the above list. I also want to check to see if there seems to be slack in the steering and/or drivetrain. I'll check to make sure the bed lines up with the body (i.e. the frame is not tweaked).

Can you think of anything else that would be a concern on this truck? I'm not really a truck expert, but I'm sick of hauling dirty crap in my new(ish) cars.

tradosaurus 07-28-2011 07:56 AM

Re: Looking at a used truck tonight

If everything checks out go for it!

bowtieguy 07-28-2011 03:17 PM

wow! $1500 w/ working a/c?

water pump on a chevy V8 is a piece of cake!

IndyFetch 07-28-2011 03:22 PM

guy sold it out from under me. He told me he'd hold it. I was standing next to it when the guy came to pick it up. After I drove 45 minutes to get there. And called him 6 times. After he told me he'd meet me there.

Jack@$$

Project84 07-28-2011 03:38 PM

That's horse crap!!! DIRTY PEOPLE dont bad business. Disgusts me.

Keep looking for those 1500's though man, I love mine. It's only the 305 ci V8, but 5sp and 2wd, it scoots really well and gets 17-18 mpg mixed even w/ the mudders on it.

VetteOwner 07-28-2011 07:29 PM

yea they are diehard trucks, usually the bed rusts away before engine dies...

yea its common to swap front ends around on chevy trucks (either fullsize or s series) as they are all interchangeable and makes the truck get an all new look.

Jay2TheRescue 07-28-2011 07:55 PM

The fuel injected 350 is a fantastic engine. That's what I have in my 98 Sierra. 13 years old, nearly 170,000 miles, and it idles so smooth & quiet that you can't hear it running from 10 feet away.

IndyFetch 08-01-2011 06:51 PM

I finally did buy a truck, but I got something more along the lines of what I was looking for. Regular cab, long bed work truck with a V6. I actually noticed in the owner's manual that the V6 auto has a 4,000 lb towing limit, but the 350 manual can only tow 2,500 lbs. Not that I'll be towing much, but I found it interesting.

The truck and description are in my garage. I don't think I did too badly for $1,400.

Jay2TheRescue 08-01-2011 07:29 PM

Looks nice!

theholycow 08-02-2011 04:25 AM

When the difference in tow ratings is the powertrain then, IMO, you can safely tow the larger load...you just need to go easy on the engine and transmission.