Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Update on Hypermiling in the Prizm (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/update-on-hypermiling-in-the-prizm-13882.html)

goofy1 10-12-2011 08:14 AM

Update on Hypermiling in the Prizm

I live in Southern Indiana but have to work in Louisville, KY. And due to one of the main bridges being closed. I can't hypermile at all in my commute to and from work. It's all stop n go traffic all the way. It now takes an extra 40minutes to an hour each way. My Prizm is a four banger, but I can't shut the car off in traffic. The traffic moves, but never stops long enough for me to shut the car off.:( So if anyone was wondering why i haven't posted anything in my gaslog for awhile, thats why. They are staying repairs to the bridge will take 6 months...so unless i do a trip in the Prizm, Im not going to post a gaslog. Example: my car is below half a tank right now(halfway between half a tank and a 1/4 of a tank) and I've driven 183 miles. Normally at this mark, i would've driven 240-260+ miles.
Thanks for reading

theholycow 10-12-2011 08:38 AM

Re: Update on Hypermiling in the Prizm

Do you have any better options for getting there while the bridge is closed? Different routes, public transportation (even if it's only part of the way), a motorcycle?

I post all my fills, good and bad. Tonight I'll get gas and post my worst tank since I got the car running, I've been driving fast and hard for this tank and had underinflated tires.

Jay2TheRescue 10-12-2011 09:46 AM

Yes, good or bad I post all of my fillups as well.

tradosaurus 10-12-2011 11:27 AM

That makes me glad I live 8 miles from work and it takes my 12 minutes to get to the parking lot. Of course I planned it that way.

goofy1 10-13-2011 06:57 AM

theres one other bridge, but it leds straight downtown Louisville with the some problems and transit time. One public transportation, but i have to go downtown Louisville to get to it...so it doesn't really help. I sold my motorcycle over 4 years ago. But even if I had one, the police on motorcycles are in force to stop motorcyclist from cut in between cars to cut through the traffic.

I dont want to post 6 months worth of horrible gas-logs. If it was just going to be a couple of months, maybe. But half a years worth...no. Maybe some think that it isnt correct, but it's going to throw my gas-log way way way off, because I'll need 6+ months to get the log back to where it was. And this is an unusually situation, beyond my control.

But I am trying other things, I'm going to get an oil change soon and i'll get 0-w-30 and going to increase tire pressure to 40

theholycow 10-13-2011 07:09 AM

The displayed average is for the past 90 days. 3 months after your bad entries, it will cease to affect your average and you will have record of how the construction affected you.

bowtieguy 10-13-2011 09:05 AM

i miss my prizm, but i had the 5 speed. i went looking for it the other day as it was sold to someone in town...wasn't there. i'd trade my civic in a minute for it. i got well over 40mpg w/out much effort; the civic gets barely 40 w/ MUCH effort.

goofy1 10-13-2011 09:41 AM

Thats why I like this Prizm. It's automatic and getting 35mpg+ is easy.

DRW 10-16-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy1 (Post 163960)
But I am trying other things, I'm going to get an oil change soon and i'll get 0-w-30 and going to increase tire pressure to 40

This is why you should keep a gaslog, so you can see the difference when you mod the car or change driving habits.

1cheap1 10-18-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy1 (Post 163931)
I live in Southern Indiana but have to work in Louisville, KY. And due to one of the main bridges being closed. I can't hypermile at all in my commute to and from work. It's all stop n go traffic all the way. It now takes an extra 40minutes to an hour each way. My Prizm is a four banger, but I can't shut the car off in traffic. The traffic moves, but never stops long enough for me to shut the car off.:( So if anyone was wondering why i haven't posted anything in my gaslog for awhile, thats why. They are staying repairs to the bridge will take 6 months...so unless i do a trip in the Prizm, Im not going to post a gaslog. Example: my car is below half a tank right now(halfway between half a tank and a 1/4 of a tank) and I've driven 183 miles. Normally at this mark, i would've driven 240-260+ miles.
Thanks for reading

If you have a tach in your car use it to never get above 1500 rpm. Start very slow get some distance between you and the car in front, once this is done you can glide in neutral until you have to stop, repeat,repeat,..... :eek: