Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   People Powered (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Anyone bike? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f19/anyone-bike-1397.html)

kickflipjr 10-11-2005 05:03 PM

Anyone bike?

I do enjoy riding my bike around town. Unfourtantly there are many hills in the area were i live so riding is limited. But i figure time spent on the bike is better then wasting gas.

Matt Timion 10-11-2005 08:04 PM

*raises hand*

We try to ride our bikes whenever possible. For a long time, Jenny was riding her bike to work every day. Now it's just getting to cold. I try to ride my bike anywhere within 5 miles from the house as a rule of thumb.

Even though we live in the mountains, it's all pretty flat here, so it works out very well. I imagine we've saved tons on gas, and added to our quality of life by exercising.

I would personally love to ride my bike everywhere.

GasSavers_Tasia 11-03-2005 06:41 AM

I love riding a bike. I

I love riding a bike. I find it to be far more relaxing and enjoyable than driving ( possibly because I prone to road rage). It gives me an opportunity stop and smell the flowers, feel the sun on my face, and enjoy the fresh air.
The only other form of transportation I like more is the train. A well planned, and efficient train system allows time for relaxation between destinations, and socializing.

kickflipjr 11-27-2005 10:45 AM

When ever I live on my own I

When ever I live on my own I am planing on living close to the city so i can bike/walk/skateboard basically anywere. I still would like to own a car though and not have a hassle parking parking. I guess i could get a moped if parking is really crazy.

(I live 30min away from the city right now)

Matt Timion 11-27-2005 01:35 PM

Re: When ever I live on my own I

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
When ever I live on my own I am planing on living close to the city so i can bike/walk/skateboard basically anywere. I still would like to own a car though and not have a hassle parking parking. I guess i could get a moped if parking is really crazy.

(I live 30min away from the city right now)

I'm actually considering getting an electric scooter for trips that are too far for bike riding. Right now (in the spring/summer/part of fall) we will ride our bikes anywhere within 5 miles from our house. Lucky for us almost everywhere we go is within 5 miles, including my wife's work.

SVOboy 11-28-2005 04:00 PM

Quote:I'm actually

Quote:

I'm actually considering getting an electric scooter for trips that are too far for bike riding. Right now (in the spring/summer/part of fall) we will ride our bikes anywhere within 5 miles from our house. Lucky for us almost everywhere we go is within 5 miles, including my wife's work.
Hint hint, my post on the DIY EV scooter.

repete86 02-06-2007 02:00 PM

Biking is great. One thing that I really hate about biking though is when riding on a busy road. There's eventually going to be a break in the traffic, and then as soon as a clump of cars pass there's that nasty gasoline smell destroying the air.

Anyone ever go to Critical Mass?

omgwtfbyobbq 02-06-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr (Post 155)
I do enjoy riding my bike around town. Unfourtantly there are many hills in the area were i live so riding is limited.

Get a mtb, and grind up it like a mule! :D
Around here, the nearest post office is down about 1000ft down over maybe 6 miles, so I barely pedal on the trip there. But on the return, I get to grid all the way back home. The roads to the housing tract I'm at are also short cuts around the town, so there's tons of traffic like semis, etc... coming through night and day, PITA if you ask me. There are some nice trails the off road riders have carved out behind the house, but some of 'em are a bit too dangerous for my tastes. I used to commute ~10-14 miles a day when I was at Uni, but now I'm just dicking around and waiting to move out.

Peakster 02-06-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion (Post 1788)
I try to ride my bike anywhere within 5 miles from the house as a rule of thumb.

If everyone in my city used that rule of thumb, there would be almost no drivers! (Regina is only 46 Square miles in area). As you can see, that's not the case.

I casually rode a bicycle to the complete opposite side of the city in 45 minutes, once.

GasSavers_Bruce 02-09-2007 10:16 AM

I've had a 32-mile round trip commute (75 to our other facility) for the last 8 years and was car-free from Dec `99 - July `06. I've been commuting to work by bike more often than not since 1994. I turned over 100,000 miles by bike early last year, mostly from commuting and ultramarathon cycling. I bought the car and started hypermiling to get rid of some chronic health problems that are most likely the result of overtraining.

My wife and I administer a local series of rides ranging from 200-600km (125-375 miles) that must be completed with a minimum speed of 15 km/h, including all stops; I've been participating in these rides since 1995. I also rode Paris-Brest-Paris in 1999, a 1200km/750 mile randonnee, completing it in 78 hours, and Boston-Montreal-Boston (also 1200km) in 2002, completing it in 83 hours.

I've ridden one mile in the last six months. I enjoy being athletic, but my health needs to come first.

MetroMPG 02-09-2007 10:55 AM

I hear you. Last time I rode the beater 10-speed, there was a chunk of ice on the rim. BANG! BANG! BANG! as I rode down the street, slowly chipping itself off as it hit the brakes. :)

GasSavers_Ryland 02-09-2007 11:18 AM

I was suprized to hear that a higher percentage of Canadians ride a bicycle year round then people in the US, and Canadia, as most of your know is farther north, and colder, but the US doesn't know how to design suberbs, or cities in a way that you can get around them easly without a car.
I live in a town of 15,000 people plus 7,000 collage students, and I used to ride a bicycle all the time, the main draw back was that to get home our road goes from about 10 feet above lake leavle, and a mile latter is the highest point in town... it makes it a very slow ride to end your day with.
I'll sometimes take my bike with me in to town if I have alot of stops to make, if I get a bike rack made that fits my receaver hitch then I'll most likely take it even more, I also am planing to get a bicycle motor kit to give a bit more push going up hills.
I think I've convinced a Motorcycle shop that I work for in the summer to start selling Tomos Mopeds, and Scooter, I have one of there mopeds from 1985, and it seems to be of reasonable quality, and parts are still avalible, the compeny clames 100+mpg on all of there mopeds, and scooters, and a wide varity of styles.

MetroMPG 02-09-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 40242)
the main draw back was that to get home our road goes from about 10 feet above lake leavle, and a mile latter is the highest point in town... it makes it a very slow ride to end your day with.

Yeah, ideally you'd want the opposite, wouldn't you? Coast home at the end of long day.

A motorized bike, like you're investigating, is a great solution to that problem.

GasSavers_James 02-09-2007 11:23 AM

Yes, I love bicycles. In the warm weather i ride to work when i have the energy, but coming home is a 700ft vertical climb, so your body pays for it. Now it is -15F +- at night, maybe 10 during the day, so the bike is parked. I hope to get a bike trailer so i can haul around the little one in it this summer.

bzipitidoo 02-09-2007 10:54 PM

wish attitudes about biking were more positive.

I'd love to ride a bike around town, but it's dangerous. Only way to get anywhere are the entirely too busy main streets. One time a crazy old woman went out of her way to run my brother off the street when he was out on his bike because in her opinion bikes shouldn't be allowed on streets. Another time we were out on bikes, and we'd gotten far ahead of my mother leaving her by herself, when some creeps in a van decided to follow her. She didn't think to get the license plate number-- too shook up. And anyway what that van driver did was I suppose technically not illegal. You can be sure the cops around here would take that attitude. Yet another time I was biking home around 3 AM, and a cop followed me all the way to the house where he got out of his patrol car and proceeded to question me, and I hadn't done anything. Just riding a bike at 3 AM is suspicious activity you know.

I've occasionally tried suggesting that the city put in some bike trails, but of course city hall will not do anything that might cost money or hurt property values, and isn't interested in listening to any group too small to swing the next election. We even have a 0.5% sales tax for outdoor sports facilities-- facilities that have plenty of parking for cars of course, sigh. There's that Texan, Lance Armstrong, but what can he do even if he wanted to?

onegammyleg 02-10-2007 01:31 AM

I used to ride A LOT , untill I blew my knees out.

GasSavers_Bruce 02-10-2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 40242)
I was suprized to hear that a higher percentage of Canadians ride a bicycle year round then people in the US

When my wife and I visited Nova Scotia for our honeymoon in 1994, I was impressed by the number of Chevrolet Chevettes (or Canadian equivalents) still in use up there. A lot of Americans buy SUVs so they can handle snow in the winter. Chevettes are terrible in snow -- they're small RWD cars, so there's no weight over the drive wheels -- but the Canadians appeared to prefer them, presumably because of the gas mileage they offered...and Canada gets a lot more snow than the US.

repete86 02-10-2007 02:57 PM

Where I live, my biking is the opposite of the rest of this site. In the winter, it's perfect riding weather, but in the summer, it's extremely hot (likely to get heat stroke after a mile or two) and storms every afternoon.

My gas mileage also suffers in the summer because I need to start turning my AC on.

GasSavers_nathan 02-10-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce (Post 40336)
When my wife and I visited Nova Scotia for our honeymoon in 1994, I was impressed by the number of Chevrolet Chevettes (or Canadian equivalents) still in use up there. A lot of Americans buy SUVs so they can handle snow in the winter. Chevettes are terrible in snow -- they're small RWD cars, so there's no weight over the drive wheels -- but the Canadians appeared to prefer them, presumably because of the gas mileage they offered...and Canada gets a lot more snow than the US.

as much as i love my chevette i must admit it is pretty bad in the snow. ive been stuck in as little as 3 inches of snow. most people carry some sand bags in the back but im not fond of that for FE loss. FE isnt very great to begin with anyway, somewhere in the area of 30mpg and i find it drops quite a bit with the colder temps.

jwxr7 02-15-2007 04:59 AM

Quote:

as much as i love my chevette
I like chevettes too, I didn't know there were any on here. Do you have a gas log or garage for it on here? I'm interested in how it's doing FE wise.

I love bicycling on or off road, but I'm a bit of a seasonal biker. The cold doesn't agree with my lungs :( . My commute is 23 miles one way and I'm not in good enough shape to try that yet. Most of my riding is for fun. In the summer I love to ride around my township looking for garage sales on saturday mornings. There are also many miles of off road trails close to work that I try to hit in the summer. If all goes well I may have a home built recumbent to ride this summer. I just have to brave the cold to start building it, and of course, find time to do it.