Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Effects of Winter (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/effects-of-winter-13982.html)

VX_Arky 12-08-2011 04:17 PM

Effects of Winter

I have a '92 Honda Civic VX and I'm curious what other VX owners have experienced with their cars when winter rolls around, warm-up time is longer, idling is a bit higher, and winter blend gasoline is being sold at the pump. So far, I have not noticed a significant drop in mpg's, but I did drop from about 47 city to 46 city this past tank.

What have others experienced and what should I expect as the winter gets colder in January and February?

IndyFetch 12-08-2011 06:21 PM

Re: Effects of Winter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arky (Post 164826)
I have a '92 Honda Civic VX and I'm curious what other VX owners have experienced with their cars when winter rolls around, warm-up time is longer, idling is a bit higher, and winter blend gasoline is being sold at the pump. So far, I have not noticed a significant drop in mpg's, but I did drop from about 47 city to 46 city this past tank.

What have others experienced and what should I expect as the winter gets colder in January and February?

The mileage on my VX dropped significantly in the winter. We would get 55-ish in the summer, and low 40s in the winter due to warm-up times. The car will not go into lean-burn mode until the catalyst is warmed up. I removed the cold air intake tube that goes into the air cleaner, and that helped somewhat. The car received the warmer air from under the hood.

benfrogg 12-08-2011 07:08 PM

Take a look at my fuel log.... it's down from upper 60's to now low 60's. I'm using a block heater 50% of the time too. Even with it, the trip from my house to point a is lower than it was during summer due likely to winter fuel/ more electrical use (blower fan, headlights as it's darker now earlier).
I got down to 40 mpg last winter, just before installing the MPGUINO. That thing payed for itself in like 2 months!
B

VX_Arky 12-08-2011 10:02 PM

I had a feeling that winter might have an effect on lean burn but wasn't sure if that was the case or not. Anybody else have any insight or personal experience they can share?

VX_Arky 12-12-2011 09:06 PM

Seriously, does nobody else on here have any information on what kind of mpg decline the winter months will do? To a VX or any car for that matter?

IndyFetch 12-13-2011 04:24 AM

I can save the time. Imagine 3 posts below from members stating "^^ What he said."

:)

Jay2TheRescue 12-13-2011 06:36 AM

I know in my Escape I'm struggling to maintain the same mileage I was getting 2 months ago when I first bought it. I imagine once spring hits this thing is gonna be awesome.

GasSavers_BEEF 12-13-2011 08:03 AM

if you look at my gas log you can see a cyclical affect over the course of 3 years of summers and winters. though there is also the fact that I don't care as much anymore. you can see there is a difinitive trend there. it is almost like a sine wave. lower in the winter months, higher in the summer months.

not sure what my actual average swing is but I am a non-VX guy (actually non-honda guy) so maybe you can see a little broader range of what you are looking for.

theholycow 12-13-2011 08:52 AM

^What he said, in entirety without modification (except use of the Shift key, of course :))...me too.

benfrogg 12-13-2011 04:14 PM

To all vx owners:
How long does it take to warm up on a cold day (30-40 df)? Miles or minutes in traffic. Mine seems like it takes FOREVER, it always have and I'm running the 195df thermostat. I wonder if I might have gotten a faulty/incorrect part? Maybe that's a problem with you too, Arky, when was your last thermo?
B