Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Jiffy Lube?s Oil Change Recommendation Lawsuit (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/jiffy-lube-s-oil-change-recommendation-lawsuit-14293.html)

shatto 06-02-2012 09:35 AM

Jiffy Lube?s Oil Change Recommendation Lawsuit

Jiffy Lube International is the target of a $5 million California class-action lawsuit for false and misleading advertising and unfair competitive practices related to its former 3,000-mile/three-month oil change interval recommendation. The lawsuit alleges Jiffy Lube misled consumers and received ?unjust enrichment? by recommending shorter oil change intervals than those recommended by vehicle manufacturers. The lawsuit asks that Jiffy Lube be barred from engaging in unlawful practices, including the use of ?deceptive? and ?misleading? window stickers. Jiffy Lube discontinued its 3,000-mile/three-month oil change interval recommendation in June 2011, urging motorists to instead follow vehicle manufacturer recommendations.

If changing oil at 3,000 miles is good,
why not change it every 1,000 miles?
Wouldn't that be better?

kamesama980 06-06-2012 03:38 PM

Re: Jiffy Lube?s Oil Change Recommendation Lawsuit

are they being sued for telling people to come in at less than 3k miles or at 3k miles when the mfr says more? big distinction. if it's 3k miles then they need to include just about every shop that touches oil in the nation including many dealerships. I was putting 3k mile stickers in new cars working at a GM dealer a year ago per job instructions.

Sounds like another stupid "I read the manual 3 years later and realized I'm an idiot but need to sue someone else to prove I'm not" lawsuit.

Not at all saying you need to change it at 3k miles but if you don't know the difference you shouldn't be suing people over it. Better idea: don't go back to Jiffy Lube in 3k miles, go when you're supposed to according to the mfr.

slurp812 06-13-2012 10:10 AM

My manual says 10,000 miles. 5000 for severe duty...

JanGeo 06-13-2012 03:34 PM

I think the issue is the customer is told they need to come back ... As an example a friend (female) was leasing then bought an Audi wagon and in the 30k miles of driving it in 4 years and having it serviced at the local dealer was told three times she needed brakes replaced for 1mm of rear pad wear including rotors to the tune of over $5000 in service charges when nothing was wrong.

bobc455 06-15-2012 03:48 AM

I remember seeing a study a few years ago that a car with a 5000 mile oil change interval lasted longer than a car with a 3000 mile interval.

Of course, like has been said many times on this board, how often to we see lubrication-related failures, anyhow?

-BC