Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Tree animals eat my fuel injector cables and one more? Hellpppppppp (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/tree-animals-eat-my-fuel-injector-cables-and-one-more-hellpppppppp-14357.html)

sebass 07-24-2012 07:31 PM

Tree animals eat my fuel injector cables and one more? Hellpppppppp

Hi guys so i wake up and my car doesn't start. I open up a hook and find this.
Can you guys tell me what parts i need to buy and replace and maybe so guidance on how to do it. Tree animals eat the cables or simply sabotage but why 4th injector intact?! Last night huge drop overnight in temps and temps plugged low. Critters needed engine heat warmth. What parts i need to buy and replace??? As always i humbly thank you for your help.

https://img59.imageshack.us/img59/873...0724200950.jpg

https://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4...0724201018.jpg

What is this cable lead to? What i need to replace here?
https://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5479/20120724201646.jpg

https://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7...0724202102.jpg

Jay2TheRescue 07-25-2012 03:08 AM

Re: Tree animals eat my fuel injector cables and one more? Hellpppppppp

The second part looks like a temperature sensor.

sebass 07-25-2012 04:22 AM

Jay I"m not sure where to start with this. Do i buy fuel injector and temp sensor? Do they come prewired with cables i need to replace or do i need to buy cables as well. If so what cables and how do i get them reconnected as its all cut? Thank you for your help.

GasSavers_Erik 07-25-2012 04:27 AM

That stinks!!

If you need the car ASAP, you could do some splicing and use some spade connectors to get back on the road. It looks like there is enough insulation left on the connectors for you to match up the colors (but not enough to attach to the wires).

To do it right, you will likely need to buy a complete engine harness or at least a sub part of the harness.

I'd buy a live trap or adopt an old hunting dog and try to take care of that critter before it does any more damage. It is strange that so much wire is simply missing. So maybe it was swallowed (ouch!) or carried away by the beast? Perhaps it is a rabid animal.

GasSavers_Erik 07-25-2012 04:28 AM

Fuel injectors and sensors aren't normally sold with the connectors/pigtails.

GasSavers_Erik 07-25-2012 04:30 AM

On the topic of sabotage.... was the car unlocked (hood release accessible)?

Has anyone been pestering you to sell your car to them?

sebass 07-25-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 167707)
That stinks!!

If you need the car ASAP, you could do some splicing and use some spade connectors to get back on the road. It looks like there is enough insulation left on the connectors for you to match up the colors (but not enough to attach to the wires).

To do it right, you will likely need to buy a complete engine harness or at least a sub part of the harness.

I'd buy a live trap or adopt an old hunting dog and try to take care of that critter before it does any more damage. It is strange that so much wire is simply missing. So maybe it was swallowed (ouch!) or carried away by the beast? Perhaps it is a rabid animal.

Engine harness. Do i buy fuel injectors as well. If so honda oem or aftermarket is ok? Even if i do how do i get the cables inside injectors? I was thinking of using butt connector and spare cables i have but i want to do this right. I don't want to get stock somewhere in winter. I have second car i can drive so no worries but don't know where to start, what to buy and how to go about it. How far does engine harness wires go?

BTW it also could have been sabotage. I do live in condo complex but gated guards but they're not there at night. The engine hood was closed and car locked. Day before was usually cold night and i parked next to big tree. I was thinking that engine warmness attracted sometime and it tried to chow its way into more warmness. Cables probably eaten. See pic on bottom looks little bit molested. But then again looks clean job too but why leave 4th injector intact? What approximate costs am i looking at? Can i do this myself or do i need a mechanic? Erik how would you go about fixing this? Thanks a lot for you help.

Jay2TheRescue 07-25-2012 05:12 AM

You should be able to buy just the connectors with pigtails attached. Check with your local Napa or Carquest parts dealer. They usually know what they're doing. Probably don't have them all in stock, but can probably get them within a day.

sebass 07-25-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 167711)
You should be able to buy just the connectors with pigtails attached. Check with your local Napa or Carquest parts dealer. They usually know what they're doing. Probably don't have them all in stock, but can probably get them within a day.

So should i ask for injector and temp sensor connectors and pigytails?
So what you're saying Jay i don't need to replace the injectors, just connector of the injectors? Sorry about not being more mechanic savvy. Is that something I can do myself you think? Thanks Jay

Jay2TheRescue 07-25-2012 06:17 AM

Yes, you need to replace the connectors, not the injectors & sensors

sebass 07-25-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 167713)
Yes, you need to replace the connectors, not the injectors & sensors

So at Napa i need to ask for fuel injectors cables and temp sensor cables?
Is that fairly easy to swap by myself. I've done brake pads change before and some soldering but not sure what this job entails?

P.S
On side note you guys think this is sabotage or kritters. On one hand cables are severed all the way up to connector (which could mean that someone cut or simply animal tried to chews its way to more warmth) but on other hand various smashes on cables would suggest cables chewed on. Not clean cuts like you would see with cable cutters. Werid

Jay2TheRescue 07-25-2012 08:38 AM

I think something was hungry. Remember, antifreeze smells and tastes sweet, so if some had been spilled (or leaked) on those parts previously, there may still be sweet tasting residue on it. Go in to the parts store, show them the pictures, and tell them you need pig tail connectors for those parts. They'll know what you need. I would solder the connections, then cover them with heat shrink tubing. It will be the most durable repair possible.

sebass 07-25-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 167715)
I think something was hungry. Remember, antifreeze smells and tastes sweet, so if some had been spilled (or leaked) on those parts previously, there may still be sweet tasting residue on it. Go in to the parts store, show them the pictures, and tell them you need pig tail connectors for those parts. They'll know what you need. I would solder the connections, then cover them with heat shrink tubing. It will be the most durable repair possible.

But i thought if i get the cables i don't need to solder? If i could avoid soldering it would be better as solders can always break especially when driving threw holes and it being close to injector. Don't want to take one injector out so it blows later cylinder or engine. I got cables to solder and remote solder tool but was hoping i could just replace wires like you said?
Thank you guys for all your help and opinions. It really helps.

Jay2TheRescue 07-25-2012 09:57 AM

If you don't want to solder, then you need to replace the entire wiring harness. Personally, if it was my car, I would just buy new connectors and repair the harness. Also, remember, if you cover all connections with heat shrink tubing after soldering them, they will never just come apart unless you have an engine fire, and then you've got bigger problems anyway.

Jay2TheRescue 07-25-2012 10:06 AM

I just realized I may not have explained myself well previously. A pigtail connector is the connector with a few inches of wire attached to it so you can make your connections easily, like the following example:

https://quadrajetparts.com/images/GHP-Q1330-500w.gif

If you wanted to replace the entire harness, you're going to be replacing something that looks like this:

https://www.centechwire.com/catalog/images/vortec.jpg

Personally, I'd rather make the repairs for the couple connections, than have to rewire the entire engine bay.

sebass 07-25-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 167718)
I just realized I may not have explained myself well previously. A pigtail connector is the connector with a few inches of wire attached to it so you can make your connections easily, like the following example:

https://quadrajetparts.com/images/GHP-Q1330-500w.gif

If you wanted to replace the entire harness, you're going to be replacing something that looks like this:

https://www.centechwire.com/catalog/images/vortec.jpg

Personally, I'd rather make the repairs for the couple connections, than have to rewire the entire engine bay.

Jay thanks a lot. This last post makes it much clearer for me. I didn't get it untill you actually posted pics. Thanks a lot for that. I will not be rewiring whole car and will piggy tail like you said. I am good at soldering but heat shrink did not occur to me. Hoping Napa ppl will know what im talking about. Might take a laptop with me to show. Thanks a lot.

Is Radio Shack best place for heatshrink i'm assuming right? Man you guys are aweseome. Awesome forum.

P.S
I will post later links to some high resolution pics i took today in AM with daylight and high resolution camera. Hopefully it shows better the creepy night crawlers damage or sabotage.

Jay2TheRescue 07-25-2012 10:26 AM

I don't think it was sabotage. If it was the connectors would be gone too. You would also see clean cuts where a tool was used to cut the wires.

sebass 07-25-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 167720)
I don't think it was sabotage. If it was the connectors would be gone too. You would also see clean cuts where a tool was used to cut the wires.

That is also what i was thinking. Wire cutters leave clean cuts with rubber hosing going twisting inwards. The wires on the bottom of the car were little bit chewed on like teeth marks OR VERY SLOPPY JOB OF CUTTING WITH DULL TOOL (highly not probable) as human would come with sharp wire cutters and cut it clean and fast. Then there is also factor of opening hood but in hodas i think screw driver would suffice for someone with knowledge. Yeah i think it's critters too. Creepy crawlers.

GasSavers_Erik 07-25-2012 06:54 PM

I agree with jay- try to buy the pigtails and use solder and shrink tubing on the connections.

If you can't find the pigtails or if you were on a tight budget, you could use crimp on spade terminals with the shrink tubing and make your own harness, but it would look a little messy.

Buying/replacing the whole engine wiring harness would be ideal and less labor intensive, but it would likely be hard to locate one for sale.

sebass 07-25-2012 07:11 PM

Thanks guys. Napa didn't have these connectors. I ordered them from ebay and found some on autozone too but not all. I ordered whole row so i might just cut at main cable and solder there and shrink wrap. It was a rodent as i found teeth marks on connects itself. It tried to take it off. I guess it though it can get inside for even more warmth. Now i have to butane for my solder (not sure where to get it). Lesson learned never park next to tree. EVER!

Jay2TheRescue 07-25-2012 08:14 PM

An electric soldering iron will be fine if you have one. If not, they're cheap. The heat shrink tubing can be shrunk with a hair dryer on high, or if you're real careful, a bic lighter.

sebass 07-25-2012 08:20 PM

Here is high resolution pics with real camera. When you zoom it shows actually picture if anyone wants to comment on them here further.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1086141...23369288100050

VX_Arky 07-28-2012 11:35 AM

Racoon? Rat? Mice? Squirrel????? Kitty kat????? You need to get out of Chicago dude. That place is a hellhole!!!

sebass 07-28-2012 11:45 AM

I think it was kitty kat that migrated from Arkansas. Not 100% sure but a hunch.
Waiting for parts to arrive and the work will begin. This shouldn't be too difficult knowing my soldering skills you already saw.

sebass 08-04-2012 08:21 AM

Guys I soldered all cables and shrinked wrapped it. She started and she's running, however i noticed one more cable chewed up. The hole in the middle between two injectors. What is that and is black (I'm assuming ground) cable gone? I will post some more detailed.
https://img59.imageshack.us/img59/873...0724200950.jpg

sebass 08-04-2012 10:11 AM

Here are two pictures of another chewed up cable. It seems yellow one is still connected but not in good shape. Is this an issue going forward with winters, humidity etc? Also no idea what that cable connects to and what it's function is?

Close up
https://img819.imageshack.us/img819/557/p10300982.jpg

Full view between two injectors on bottom
https://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8288/p10300992.jpg

Here are direct links to high resolution

https://picasaweb.google.com/1086141...81827717836242

https://picasaweb.google.com/1086141...81826037745250

Jay2TheRescue 08-04-2012 06:34 PM

Rather than risk breakdown at the most inopportune moment, just go ahead and repair the other wire, even though its not completely chewed through. I'm thinking you had a mouse, because a cat would not be able to get their head thru the manifold to chew that last one.

sebass 08-05-2012 07:49 AM

Jay i was joking with Arky about the kitty kat. It most likely was a squarl as few friends of mine had same situation. Do you know what that cable connects to? Is there a black (negative or ground) cable there as well?

Jay2TheRescue 08-05-2012 12:40 PM

I have no idea, I've never owned anything similar to that car.

GasSavers_Erik 08-05-2012 05:53 PM

On my 1987 Honda D series engine, the oil pressure warning switch is located in that area (just above the oil filter). There is an oil passage that runs up the middle of the rear of the block to supply the cam and valve train.

sebass 08-05-2012 06:04 PM

Erik so you're saying that in your 87 honda that is your warning light on your dashboard that alerts you that your oil is low? Am I getting this right?
If so even if cut that won't affect any mechanical workings of the engine but only you would be blind if car would be low on oil? Am i getting this right?

GasSavers_Erik 08-05-2012 07:17 PM

You could drive without it if it is indeed the wire to the oil pressure switch.

It controls an oil pressure warning light (not oil level). It comes on when there is no oil pressure (when the key is on but the engine is not running) and goes off shortly after the engine starts. The sensor is a simple switch that stays closed unless there is sufficient oil pressure (5-10 lbs) to open it.

FYI- if it is the oil pressure switch wire, if the bare wire comes in contact with the engine block, your oil pressure warning light will come on. If the wire has been completely severed, the oil light will not come on even when you have the key on with the engine not running.

sebass 08-06-2012 07:58 PM

Jay and Erik I would like to thank you very much. This helped me A LOT.
Erik i will go ahead and try to verify what that cable is on my car but my oil light lights up when i turn the key and lights off when i start. I sort of hope it is the oil light indicator.