Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Check your VX for dual catalytic converters (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/check-your-vx-for-dual-catalytic-converters-14363.html)

GasSavers_WD40 08-08-2012 03:30 PM

Check your VX for dual catalytic converters

Check your VX for dual cats...
Bad news...
I went over a speed bump and tore my exhaust right behind the down pipe, much to my surprise there
was a 2nd cat, it was rusted out at both flanges so it was ez to replace with a "test pipe" used by racers to replace the cat for an event.
I have all the receipts from new and I rechecked them .. Midas was the idiots that double catted the car for the previous owner to the tune of $630.00.. Never trust idiots to work on your VX.
Now for the good news ..
So much more power on hills, damn I wish i had checked out underneath my car over 50k ago..
I am hoping that this will give me better MPG once I relearn how to drive it with all this extra torque.

IndyFetch 08-08-2012 03:46 PM

Re: Check your VX for dual catalytic converters

Quote:

Originally Posted by WD40 (Post 167791)
Check your VX for dual cats...
Bad news...
I went over a speed bump and tore my exhaust right behind the down pipe, much to my surprise there
was a 2nd cat, it was rusted out at both flanges so it was ez to replace with a "test pipe" used by racers to replace the cat for an event.
I have all the receipts from new and I rechecked them .. Midas was the idiots that double catted the car for the previous owner to the tune of $630.00.. Never trust idiots to work on your VX.
Now for the good news ..
So much more power on hills, damn I wish i had checked out underneath my car over 50k ago..
I am hoping that this will give me better MPG once I relearn how to drive it with all this extra torque.

Holy crap. Win!

I had a bad exhaust experience on my VX. I had a hole in the B-pipe, so I ordered one and scheduled an appointment at Meineke on 38th Street in Indy. I waited for almost 2 hours after the scheduled appointment for them to put the car on a lift. They said that the pipe never came in (I had called to confirm that it had), but they had one that would fit. They put it on and I went home.

Less than a week later, the car got loud again. I jacked the car up and took a look at their handiwork. It was the old pipe, but it had been crookedly patched in several places. I was pissed, since I had paid for a new pipe. I called and talked to a manager. Surprisingly, he argued with me. He stated that it still carried he same warranty, so it didn't matter. I told him that it obviously did matter, since it was already falling apart. They ordered the correct pipe and told me it would be ready in a few days.

Turns out, he ordered a Cherry Bomb resonator. I did not want it. He argued that it was better and louder. I told him I didn't WANT it to be louder. I wanted the STOCK pipe and nothing else. My 3rd trip in, it was finally replaced with the correct parts. I sold the car a few months later to my uncle. The replacement B-pipe lasted less than a year.

My lesson: buy the parts from billkayhonda.com (honda parts at wholesale prices, typically 20-30% off) or autoanything.com (FREE SHIPPING!!!), rockauto.com, etc. Put them on myself. Save lots of time and money.

add|ct 08-09-2012 11:14 PM

Re: Check your VX for dual catalytic converters

Wow, great 2 posts! Bookmarked!

PS: Going to look under my car now. :thumbup:

PPS: I've got great compression still for the cylinders yet think the head gasket may be leaking by the drain-back holes. So, if anyone is noticing coolant getting low at the radiator cap/having to add, and no signs externally you may just want to get a fluid analysis like I did. I'll be adding a UV dye to my coolant soon to see if it's not external somewhere I'm missing.