Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Someone tried to steal my truck (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/someone-tried-to-steal-my-truck-14387.html)

IndyFetch 09-01-2012 02:01 PM

Someone tried to steal my truck

I heard a bang at about 3:30 this morning. I thought it was a gunshot from a block over, so I looked opened the front door and took a look around. I should have looked at the truck, because the dome light was probably on (although I park it under a street light and probably couldn't tell anyway). In any case, some jack@$$ broke off the upper and lower column covers and tried to drill out the ignition lock cylinder. I guess I scared him off when I opened the door, becuase he left the job half-done. Oh well. A new lock cylinder is less than $20, plus the time and effort to get it out. A new truck would have been significantly more.

Jay2TheRescue 09-01-2012 05:07 PM

Re: Someone tried to steal my truck

Who steals a beater V-8 pickup truck when gas is as expensive as it is?

IndyFetch 09-01-2012 06:03 PM

The Hiccup Truck is just a 4.3 V6... but still, it was a $1,700 truck... There was nothing in it, either. Not even napkins. It was cleaned out. Stock 1996 cassette player. Nothing at all worth stealing. Just kids.

Jay2TheRescue 09-01-2012 06:43 PM

That's almost as bad as when someone tried to steal the stereo out of my 74 Chevy pickup years ago. The truck was UGLY. Baby poop green, and had rust holes in the fenders so big you could stick your arm through them. The stereo was a dirt cheap cassette deck purchased a few years prior at the Sears Outlet store for $20. It ate tapes, and the radio barely worked. They had it disconnected, but did not figure out how to get the stereo out of the dash. Found it in the morning with the stereo half out, they just could not get it the rest of the way out.

bowtieguy 09-02-2012 05:25 AM

are you sure you weren't set up to be on overhaulin?

Jay2TheRescue 09-02-2012 06:51 AM

Pretty sure. That show didn't exist in the mid 90's when this happened. I really wanted to restore the truck because it drove so well, but by the time I replaced the doors, fenders, bed, rocker panels, cab corners... I figured the only body parts that could really be salvaged were the hood and the tailgate. I would have spent more fixing it than I would have spent on another nicer truck.

bowtieguy 09-02-2012 08:57 AM

maybe fetch then?

IndyFetch 09-02-2012 03:17 PM

Definitely not. I sold the truck the week before. I just haven't done the paperwork as of yet. Besides, I bought another truck a couple of weeks ago that is a really nice truck. '98 GMC Sierra reg cab 2wd long bed with a matching truck cap. 350 V8, 3.42 rear end, and all options except leather, power seat, and auto-dimming mirror. The truck was Rhino-lined and has a trailer brake controller. Only a tiny bit of rust above the windshield; none on the cab corners or bedsides (or frame!). It needs a tune-up, radiator hose or water pump, alignment, and tires. But it drives really well and looks great. I will upload pics whenever I can.

Jay2TheRescue 09-02-2012 06:49 PM

I'm sure you'll love it. I love my 98 Sierra. I rarely washed it, and I've never waxed it, and the darn thing still looks good. Since the tree fell on it, I am having the body shop go thru and make it perfect, and I should be good to go for at least another 10 years.

shatto 09-03-2012 06:52 PM

Our Prelude was stolen.
A day later the police found it parked nearby, in perfect condition.
They said sometimes runners steal a car for a drug delivery or pick up
and sometimes a car is stolen because someone wants to get from here to there.
Strange.