Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Saving the gas saver (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/saving-the-gas-saver-14507.html)

1993CivicVX 12-05-2012 12:32 PM

Saving the gas saver

So, I've decided my new VX Is in Such New – like Condition Not just because it was meticulously maintained, but because it was garaged all its life; in a heated garage no less (and Washed and waxed regularly, etc.). Unfortunately, I don't have a garage to protect it from the stresses of freezing and thawing on a regular basis. So I want to build a one car insulated garage and have a small electric heater in it to keep it at least 50F. I should ask the previous owner what temp he garaged the car at. The thing is, I want the garage to be collapsible and transportable because I move around a lot. Hmmmm....

JanGeo 12-05-2012 03:18 PM

Good luck with that! There is this thing called WIND and it likes to break things!

Project84 12-05-2012 04:21 PM

I think you're SOL here bud. Depending on the climate region you're typically in though, it could be possible.

Rusty94cx 12-05-2012 06:48 PM

You could build it like a greenhouse use schedule 80 PVC pipe that's the heavy duty stuff right? Then just a thick 6-10mil plastic a torpedo heater run every so often. You could make it dual layered to create an air layer to help with insulation. I'm not sure if it's the heat or just that's it's protected from the elements. Wash wax undercoat and take care of it. Pull out rear interior and do something to prevent that rust that will come.

theholycow 12-06-2012 02:44 AM

Greenhouse-style will expose the car to the sun's UV. UV exposure is what rots plastics like bumper covers and dashboards, and fades paint.

trollbait 12-06-2012 06:55 AM

Amazon.com: Caravan Canopy 10 by 20 Domain Carport, White: Patio, Lawn & Garden

That's from my less than a minute search. I have seen ads for ones with walls. There are also steel models that might be taken apart and moved. I don't think any that you can move will have insulation worth a damn. So heating them will just eat into your gas savings.

1993CivicVX 12-07-2012 04:09 AM

The one you linked to has walls you can buy for it. Maybe I could get some rigid foam insulation for it and then place a heater on the ground underneath the engine, so if it fails to keep the carport warm, maybe at least it will keep the engine warm.

wombosi 12-07-2012 05:12 AM

Remember you have a carpenter friend who could build you a quick stud/plywood structure, throw in a door, some foam and a heater....

Of course this would probably set you back a few thou...

1993CivicVX 12-07-2012 05:50 AM

Well, yes, I did mention to my carpenter friend my interest in building a garage, but when he did not reply, I decided to look into less expensive options.

I could put in a low ceiling into the carport to greatly reduce the volume needed to be heated. A crawl space for my car. :-D

Project84 12-07-2012 08:43 AM

IDK how frequent you move, or what you're allowed to build on each living premessis... but google "skid shed" and go that route.

Basically some 4" screws holding skids together form a good sturdy wall, some 2x4's for roof beams and cheap materials for a roof (or corrugated plastic) and plywood the exterior. It would at very least be away from the elements and UV rays. Heating it would NOT be cost effective. Heating anything that's make-shift built is NOT going to be cost effective though.

Rusty94cx 12-07-2012 03:24 PM

You don't have to use clear plastic you could use black or any other uv inhibitor. I thought that route as it is portable of sorts.