Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   The Beast is Back!!! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/the-beast-is-back-14511.html)

Jay2TheRescue 12-08-2012 05:51 PM

The Beast is Back!!!

I got The Beast, (My 98 GMC K1500) back from the body shop today after its spent months being reconstructed after a tree fell on it in a storm over the summer. Of course, while being worked on, the battery was disconnected for an extended period of time. How far do I need to drive it before the computer reports that its ready for an emissions test?

theholycow 12-09-2012 03:12 AM

IIRC, most of the automatic tests it does merely require one decent drive where it gets fully warmed up and reaches a variety of speeds, but I know that some of the evaporative emissions tests require the gas tank to be half empty...so if it has a full tank you'll probably have to drive (or siphon) 10 gallons out of it.

Jay2TheRescue 12-09-2012 04:09 PM

I wasn't aware of the 1/2 tank requirement. I drove it 200 miles today, but started with a full tank... :( Scangauge still says "Not Ready"

theholycow 12-09-2012 05:28 PM

200 miles ought to be enough. Now I wonder what the other requirements are...mine readied itself as soon as I had used up a chunk of the full tank.

Jay2TheRescue 12-09-2012 06:41 PM

Right now I'm at just under 1/2 tank, but I was hoping to get it ready today so I could emissions test it tomorrow. I was only able to get a 3 day registration on it. Its a long story...

As you know, a tree fell on the truck in a storm over the summer. My insurance refused to total it, so its been in the body shop for months being pieced back together. In the mean time, the battery had been disconnected in the course of the repairs. While the truck was in the body shop, the registration expired. I cannot renew the registration until the vehicle passes an emissions test. I asked for 30 day tags so I could drive it and get the computer reset. I was denied by the state. I was informed that I would have to contact the Department of Environmental Quality for an exemption. When I contacted the DEQ I was informed that they cannot issue an exemption. They suggested that I get a 3 day trip tag from the DMV, and 3 days should be plenty of time to satisfy the computer. Well, I got the 3 day tag, and Ive driven about 250 miles since I picked it up at the body shop on Saturday, and my scangauge is still reporting "Not Ready". I may have to try to get another set of 3 day tags if it doesn't report ready by tomorrow afternoon.

Jay2TheRescue 12-09-2012 06:51 PM

Oh, and on a side note, I turned on the defroster today, and it blew fine pieces of broken glass out onto the dash. I guess when the windows broke, a good amount of glass fell into the defroster vents. I had to stop a couple times and clean the glass off the dash.

Jay2TheRescue 12-10-2012 07:08 PM

More driving today, almost down to 1/4 tank. Still not ready... :(

Jay2TheRescue 12-11-2012 03:17 AM

So... It wasn't ready last night. The 3 day registration expired at midnight. I woke up early this morning, bought another 3 day registration online, drove a mile and a half to work, and...

https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...1f3b2ef42a.jpg

IndyFetch 12-15-2012 09:09 AM

Scangauge into '98 GMC Sierra

Jay, since you have a SG2 in your GMC, you would probably be the best person to answer this. I just installed a SG2 in my '98 GMC, and the radio is shutting off and the clock is resetting itself to 1:00 each time the vehicle is turned off. Any ideas?

Also, what did you use for your fuel cutoff? I reset mine to "4" since the no-throttle TPS shows "0." Do you use the normal update rate? Are there any other changes you had to make to your settings, other than speed and distance?

Jay2TheRescue 12-15-2012 12:51 PM

I never did get it to reliably detect DFCO. I just lived with it. If you really want to know when you're in DFCO, watch the ignition timing. When in DFCO timing will read -10. after watching the timing, you will get a feel for DFCO, and not need to watch it anymore. I can tell you exactly when mine is in DFCO without looking at the display.

The clock and radio resetting is a simple fix, but took me a few months to figure out when I first got my Scangauge. Change the data link speed to slow. I don't know why it works, but it does.