Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Professional Engine Callibrators (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/professional-engine-callibrators-14682.html)

Chabadnik 04-25-2013 03:35 PM

Professional Engine Callibrators

To all professional engine calibrators/tuners.

What is the effective way to lower AFR in the ECU?
Is AFR map alone enough to effect change?
Gathering info from other forums I figure it is not, but it seems professionals are not hanging out on forums.

Thanks in 'advance' and in the lower AFR.
:)

Jay2TheRescue 04-25-2013 07:27 PM

I'd be very careful lowering the AFR in an engine not designed to run in lean burn mode. Its very easy to blow a hole in a piston if you lean an engine out too much.

IndyFetch 04-26-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 169826)
I'd be very careful lowering the AFR in an engine not designed to run in lean burn mode. Its very easy to blow a hole in a piston if you lean an engine out too much.

^^What he said. When you see race cars blow engines these days, it usually comes after they run one out of fuel.

Chabadnik 04-26-2013 02:56 AM

Low afr

True, lean is another world of asking for trouble and one can get knock outed, unless, of course lean is supported by engine mods. I need to lean out ECU because I have other fuels coming in. The question really is how is it done in terms of remapping, I am not sure that closed loop AFR tables are the only ones being in control of this process. In other words, if I simply change AFR table it doesn't guarantee that the end AFR will be affected.
Thanks for responding, though.
All the best.

Jay2TheRescue 04-26-2013 06:40 AM

If you have other fuels coming in, the O2 sensor should automatically reduce the amount of gasoline coming in to maintain the proper ratio inside the cylinders (withihn reason) A vehicle designed to run on E85 will have more capability to do this over a wider range than a normal one will. What type of fuels, and how are you adding them to the engine?

Chabadnik 04-26-2013 07:47 AM

AFR lean

Not exactly fuels, but combined efficiency in combustion lets AFR lowered. there are many devices out there, I am not sure yet, which ones. IN any case, I need to figure out a general remapping routine for lowering AFR in closed loop and advance/retard timing. :banghead:
Have a good weekend.
All the best!!!

GasSavers_BEEF 04-26-2013 08:53 AM

you could always go with a stand-alone ECU to control this. There is a system out called "megasquirt" that you build yourself (circuit board and a lot of small parts) tough it is the most cost effective. you set everything, total control. the only catch is you better know what you are doing.

there are random tricks here and there but that is the only way to know you have control. a lot of turbo guys go that route. I have a strange friend that is trying to fuel inject his chevette and he has a setup but no time to actually do it. he did put the circuit board together and it took him a few hours.

Chabadnik 04-27-2013 10:21 AM

AFR lean

I know about standalones. But I want to find out how to do it through the normal ECU. What r the advantages? The advantages are that it is cheaper and if successful it is possible for more than just one car alone, but many other cars.
:banghead:

Rusty94cx 04-28-2013 06:17 PM

Pgmfi.org

Chabadnik 04-29-2013 08:41 AM

Thanks

THANKS A LOT.
ALL THE BEST TO YOU, SIR! :dance: