Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   ISO-Heet for Emissions? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/iso-heet-for-emissions-1470.html)

GasSavers_DaX 11-19-2005 01:15 PM

ISO-Heet for Emissions?

I have emissions coming up within the month. I don't want to have to buy a new cat, but I probably need to. I've heard of different things to try, and I've decided to try using ISO-Heet. Along with a brand new set of spark plugs a throttle body / intake manifold cleaning, and a cleaned PCV valve, I'm going to run my car down to 1/4 tank and put in four 12 oz. bottles of ISO-Heet, a fuel antifreeze and water absorbant that contains mostly IPA. Has anyone had success with this or anything else? Any other little tricks I should do? In GA, all we have to pass is a sniffer test.

Matt Timion 11-19-2005 02:16 PM

I've been told that ethanol

I've been told that ethanol in the gas helps a lot with emissions. Besides that I can't help.

Flatland2D 11-19-2005 08:39 PM

Ok so maybe this isn't the

Ok so maybe this isn't the best idea, but is there any chance you could find out by word of mouth if there's a lazy inspection station that won't test your emissions? I have no cat on my car and it passed just fine... you just need to know where to go.

If you don't like that idea, people claim that PVC canisters and acetone help reduce emissions, so that might be worth a try.

GasSavers_DaX 11-20-2005 07:31 AM

See that's just it - for the

See that's just it - for the past two years I've gone to this one place where I slip the guy a little personal pocket change and he gives me the treatment and I don't have to worry about emissions. About a month ago he finally got busted by an undercover EPA agent and lost his license to perform emissions. My birthday is in about a month, so I'm in a pinch to find a place that quickly that will do it for me.

I don't have any ethanol, but isopropyl alcohol should perform in a similar manner. I'm going with the new plugs, low gas, lots of IPA, and a really hot engine.

Matt Timion 11-20-2005 08:21 AM

Re: See that's just it - for the

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
See that's just it - for the past two years I've gone to this one place where I slip the guy a little personal pocket change and he gives me the treatment and I don't have to worry about emissions. About a month ago he finally got busted by an undercover EPA agent and lost his license to perform emissions. My birthday is in about a month, so I'm in a pinch to find a place that quickly that will do it for me.

I don't have any ethanol, but isopropyl alcohol should perform in a similar manner. I'm going with the new plugs, low gas, lots of IPA, and a really hot engine.

Just curious, but why won't your car pass? Is this the civic? I would think that the civic would pass if it's in stock condition. In Utah and California you get free re-tests if you do not pass. If you cannot pass using all of these additives, I'd just go to the junkyard and try to find a cat that is in good shape and slap it on your car.

GasSavers_DaX 11-21-2005 04:17 AM

Yes, this is on my daily

Yes, this is on my daily driver 90 Civic DX Sedan, and I'm pretty sure it's the cat. I failed two years ago for whatever is the tell tale sign that the cat is bad, and after that started using a guy that gets my papers done for me.

If the IPA fails me, I'm going to just get a brand new cat for it.

GasSavers_DaX 12-13-2005 04:32 AM

Finally passed

Finally passed emissions.

Had to install a new cat, spark plugs, PCV tube, distributor cap, and rotor button. Ran 20 oz. of water through the engine followed up by some seafoam, then a throttle body cleaning. Set the timing, cleaned the PCV valve out, and got the gas needle down to below E then poured 24 oz. of ISO-Heet in the gas tank.

Whew, don't know if the ISO-Heet helped or not...failed the first time without the ISO-Heet, distributor cap, rotor button, or PCV tube.

SVOboy 12-13-2005 12:55 PM

How much for the new cat? I

How much for the new cat? I need one too. Where'd you get it at?

GasSavers_DaX 12-13-2005 02:10 PM

$106 with tax from AutoZone,

$106 with tax from AutoZone, then I cut to appropriate length and welded it myself. My older brother was in need of one too, but he went to a muffler shop and got a new one installed for $130 [in case you can't weld].