Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Pulse & glide 0-70 mpg in 2 miles video (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/pulse-and-glide-0-70-mpg-in-2-miles-video-14774.html)

FrugalFloyd 07-18-2013 03:42 PM

Pulse & glide 0-70 mpg in 2 miles video

New 12 min. video of P&G on a warm engine. 0-70 mpg in 2 miles.

Old 21 min. video of P&G on a cold engine.
0-60 mpg in 10 miles.

I know the videos have lots of room for improvement. My cams lack image stabilization. If I raise the camera angle to show the scenery, the cockpit instruments are underexposed. If I mount the camera solidly to a window, it vibrates too much.

I welcome suggestions for improvement.

GasSavers_HyperMPG 09-17-2013 08:47 PM

I wanted to let you know that I really appreciate this post. It is an excellent demonstration of the power of hypermiling. I wish I could do this but I have an automatic :(

Anyway, it was brainfood for me.

Jay2TheRescue 09-17-2013 09:08 PM

You can do a modified pulse & glide in an automatic. You leave the engine idling, so the transmission is not turning without lubrication.

GasSavers_HyperMPG 09-17-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 170715)
You can do a modified pulse & glide in an automatic. You leave the engine idling, so the transmission is not turning without lubrication.

I coast down hills with my engine off in my 1999 Toyota Avalon. I am really wondering to what extent (if any) this damages my transmission. I suppose I should ask in the automatic section!

trollbait 09-18-2013 04:42 AM

A flat towable transmission, like behind a RV, will be fine.

burge100 02-18-2014 10:16 PM

How is something like this safe I don't get it how cutting off your engine its unsafe

trollbait 02-19-2014 04:50 AM

There is a level of risk.

Arguably, the risk is less than texting, talking on a phone, putting on make up, etc. simply because advanced hypermiling techniques involve paying attention to the road ahead.

Draigflag 02-19-2014 08:20 AM

The risk being your brakes hardly work after a few pumps of the pedal!!!

theholycow 02-19-2014 04:43 PM

The brake thing is easily handled by restarting any time you've used the brakes, and avoided by better planning so you won't need the brakes. Then again, I can't speak for anyone else but I have plenty of leg strength to operate power brakes that have run out of assist, though I wouldn't want to try to modulate them in a race or pump them in an ice/snow situation without assist.

There's also the lack of power steering, which is much worse in a car with power steering than one with manual steering, and there's nothing that can mitigate that. Even with gorilla arms you will be unable to steer as fast as you can with assist (or with proper manual steering equipment).

If you're going to EOC (Engine-Off Coast), know that it is dangerous and most likely illegal. Do it as safely as possible on unpopulated empty roads, if at all. Be ready to restart at any time and don't be shy about it.

Draigflag 02-19-2014 10:57 PM

You can never be sure what's around the next bend, and if you need to use your steering/brakes swiftly in an emergency, when you have a millisecond to react, you're going to be doomed! Don't risk it, just be grateful that you don't live in the UK where fuel is $8 a gallon.