Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Should I change.......???? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/should-i-change-1490.html)

Compaq888 11-30-2005 12:42 AM

Should I change.......????

I'd like to make a thread where we ask what parts we should change or keep them. I'll go first.

My car is almost at 63,000miles. The spark plug wires and and distributor cap and rotor haven't ever been changed.

I haven't ever replaced the distributor cap, rotor and the spark plug wires. They are from the factory. I also checked maintenance records and they were never changed.

Money is not a problem. I plan to buy NGK spark plug wires which are a little better than the crap that is on now. The rotor and the distributor cap will be bought from the dealer because it's the best quality there.

The rotor will most likely be changed by the dealer since I stripped the bolt that holds it. I can change the wires and distributor cap myself.

Should I change them now or wait till 75k which will be time to change the spark plugs???

GasSavers_DaX 11-30-2005 04:19 AM

You can usually tell

You can usually tell original plug wires because they will have the year the vehicle was made printed on them. 63K, if it were me, I'd go ahead and change it all instead of waiting for the 75K mark.

One good thing most people don't realize is that Advance Auto [and I think Auto Zone as well] offers a 1 or 2 year replacement warranty on NGK spark plugs [maybe other brands too]. After you purchase your first set, be sure to take them up and get new ones before the warranty period ends!

Matt Timion 11-30-2005 07:45 AM

I didn't know about the

I didn't know about the plugs. Count me in.

I would agree that some stuff needs to be replaced, even early. Preventative maintenance is never a bad thing.

The first thing I did when i got my car was replace my o2 sensor. If you can afford it, you might as well replace that too :)

rh77 11-30-2005 09:37 AM

PCV Valve and Catch Can + ...

For future engine cleanliness I'd recommend changing the the PCV valve and install an oil catch setup to keep things cleaner in the intake plenum and injectors down the road.

Another thought would be to install a hotter thermostat. I agree on the 02 sensor, but I haven't heeded my own advice on that one yet. Pull off of the car anything uselessly weighted, like a intake air silencer.

If new tires are in your future plans look to low-rolling resistance ones...

RH77

Matt Timion 11-30-2005 10:07 AM

Re: PCV Valve and Catch Can + ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77

I'm personally back and forth on this one right now. The cheapest LRR tires I can find for my car are like $100 each (185x60xR14). I've also heard that LRR tires don't last as long as regular tires.

Add to that the reviews of LRR tires on www.tirerack.com. hardly anyone seems to like them.

Is there a good, affordable, LRR tire out there?

rh77 11-30-2005 11:34 AM

Re: PCV Valve and Catch Can + ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77

I'm personally back and forth on this one right now. The cheapest LRR tires I can find for my car are like $100 each (185x60xR14). I've also heard that LRR tires don't last as long as regular tires.

Add to that the reviews of LRR tires on www.tirerack.com. hardly anyone seems to like them.

Is there a good, affordable, LRR tire out there?

The problem is that tire companies don't have to perform rolling resistance tests, so separate agencies are hired when a government agency or University requests testing. I'm heading back to Akron, Ohio (hometown) next week, and I may pop in and visit a company that does this sort of testing and see if they have any public results available (as you know Akron used to be the tire capitol of the world). Smithers Industries is the company, and I beleive was used in the dated Green Seal test of LRRs back in '03. I've written tire companies with no response. Someone out there has to care, and has the resources to commit to this! Just where and who, is the problem...

RH77

Compaq888 11-30-2005 04:51 PM

The PVC was replaced and the

The PVC was replaced and the fuel filter was replaced. The tranny fluid was replaced. The valve cover gasket was replaced. The windows switch was replaced. The CV boot was replaced. Alignment was done.

Just the wires, cap, and rotor never been replaced. Otherwise everything else in the list HAD to be replaced because it didn't work or made the car worse.

New tires were installed 5k ago.

What do you think about these spark plug wires??? They are made just for my car..., Should I get these?

https://www.ngk.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=1356757&pid=3057

GasSavers_DaX 12-01-2005 05:02 AM

Re: The PVC was replaced and the

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
What do you think about these spark plug wires??? They are made just for my car..., Should I get these?

https://www.ngk.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=1356757&pid=3057

Yep! Those are the kind I have always used...they're great and worth the money.

Compaq888 12-01-2005 08:05 AM

Ok, I ordered those. When I

Ok, I ordered those. When I receive them I'll get the rotor installed and install the cap and then put them on.

I went yesterday for a drive and proved my own theory. My car gets 30's on the freeway. To bad I always can't drive on the freeway. I don't know where in the 30's though. I predict low 30's mpg.

Matt Timion 12-01-2005 09:09 AM

Re: Ok, I ordered those. When I

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
Ok, I ordered those. When I receive them I'll get the rotor installed and install the cap and then put them on.

I went yesterday for a drive and proved my own theory. My car gets 30's on the freeway. To bad I always can't drive on the freeway. I don't know where in the 30's though. I predict low 30's mpg.

I think I figured out the gas mileage problem. We all just need to drive REALLY FAST (freeway speeds). Then we'll get awesome gas mileage.

okay, bad idea.