Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Vehicles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   When does my Volt get to join the party? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/when-does-my-volt-get-to-join-the-party-14967.html)

Ziv 02-02-2014 07:22 AM

When does my Volt get to join the party?

Sorry if this has been beaten to death. But how many times do I have to fill up my Volt before it is one of the cars on the Volt "list"? I have owned it since June and filled it up twice and I am not on the "list" of the 64 existing Volts on Fuelly yet. I see some people on the list of 2013 Volts with 3 fill ups so my guess is that my Cyber Volt will be up there in a couple months but it would be cool if I knew that to be the case instead of just guessing.
Kind of proud of my 304 mpg, plus a whole lot of electricity, of course.

hypermarquis 02-02-2014 07:37 AM

Welcome Ziv, it takes 3 fill ups to show in the listings. Can't find the link in FAQ right now. Took mine 3 to show up.

Ziv 02-02-2014 09:12 AM

Thanks for confirming my theory!

I couldn't find the answer anywhere so having it confirmed is useful. I only use a gallon or two every month so it may take me nearly a year of driving the Volt to get it on the list. I may just top off the tank with a couple gallons so my Cyber will show up sooner.
Thanks for the info, Hypermarquis!

Draigflag 02-02-2014 10:55 PM

You've only done 600 miles since June? I thought with a car like that, you'd be taking advantage of the economy and using it more often?

Charon 02-03-2014 10:38 AM

Unless you can account for the electricity used, posting "gas mileage" is useless and misleading. It is as if your car has two fuel tanks, and you only post the fuel you put into one of them.

RobertV 02-03-2014 01:41 PM

https://www.fuelly.com/faq/20/not-lis...rowse-vehicles
Quote:

Why isn't my car listed in the Browse Vehicles section of the site?
A Fuelly car needs three fuel-ups before it shows up public areas of the site. We've found that average fuel economy is all over the map when you only have a couple entries, but once a few fuel-ups have been added the average tends to even out to a more realistic number for the vehicle. Excluding newly created cars makes the list more useful for people who want to compare fuel economy.

If you want to see every single car on Fuelly click the "show all" link toward the top of the page and you'll see all cars regardless of the number of fuel-ups.

Ziv 04-24-2014 06:24 AM

Charon, that is true to some extent, but given that I haven't put gasoline into my Volt since September, if memory serves, it is probably worth noting just how many miles Volt drivers get from a tank of gas.
If it helps, I use 90 cents to completely fill my battery up and that gets me 44 to 46 miles most days. So I pay around 2 cents a mile.
My Volt has used almost 12 gallons of gasoline, though, in the 5900 miles it has been driven, so that makes the total price per mile driven more like 2.2 cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charon (Post 173849)
Unless you can account for the electricity used, posting "gas mileage" is useless and misleading. It is as if your car has two fuel tanks, and you only post the fuel you put into one of them.

Ziv 04-24-2014 06:31 AM

Draigflag, I have been trying to get my business back up to speed and haven't really done much but work, work out and read for the past year. I have put less than 6000 miles on my Volt and less than 2560 miles on my 350Z in almost a year. I am loving both cars though. The Volt is just a super cool car to drive, and not having to fill up with gas in 7 months is kind of cool too.
And the 350Z is just a great road trip car. I don't take it to the track but I do love hitting the back roads with it, though I don't get time to do that too often. I did get 30.9 mpg with my 350Z on a roadtrip to Morehead City where I was forced to drive at 62 mph for a couple hours. That was kind of interesting in a slow developing sort of way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 173842)
You've only done 600 miles since June? I thought with a car like that, you'd be taking advantage of the economy and using it more often?

Charon 04-26-2014 04:38 AM

If you just wanted to brag about how little gasoline you used, why didn't you get a Nissan Leaf or a Tesla? Then you'd have burned no gasoline at all.

Ziv 04-26-2014 08:42 AM

I am proud that an American car like the Volt makes it so easy to go so long without using gasoline, so if that is bragging, I am down with that. I didn't get the Leaf because it isn't an American car maker, and one of the reasons I like to drive all electric is that I am using All-American (99.9%) electricity instead of gasoline, nearly half of which we import. And since oil is a fungible good, buying Canadian oil is nearly as bad as buying Kuwaiti, Saudi or Russian oil because we are indirectly supporting the oil prices by buying gasoline. Plus, the Volt lets me drive all day when I want to, something the Leaf most definitely does not.
Nearly everyone on this site is here to chart their gas mileage and there is a lot of competition in that, Charon. So why are you busting my chops for being proud of using around 12 gallons of gas to go 5900 miles? :)

I also have a 350Z I love to drive, and there my lifetime mpg is around 19 mpg. I like to drive fast and efficient, and my two cars give me the ability to do both, albeit not at the same time. But I did get 30.9 mpg on a road trip once in my Z.

I think I should top off my tank even though I only need a gallon or so, just to be able to get onto the leader board for Volts. I won't be in the top 10, probably, but I like to support the home team, and Chevy is the home team for me, and my stats are fairly good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charon (Post 175640)
If you just wanted to brag about how little gasoline you used, why didn't you get a Nissan Leaf or a Tesla? Then you'd have burned no gasoline at all.