Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Mineral Spirits- might not be a good additive (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/mineral-spirits-might-not-be-a-good-additive-1516.html)

diamondlarry 12-05-2005 12:22 PM

Mineral Spirits- might not be a good additive

I think I may have found an additive to stay away from. I have been tring to overcome the effects of winter blend "crapoline". I recently started adding mineral spirits because I had heard somewhere that it is a very volatile liquid. I started having problems with my ECU going into open loop at random times. I think my O2 sensor is either damaged or toast. :-( Now I have to drive this tank out before I can even change the O2 sensor if it's bad. GRRRR!

Matt Timion 12-05-2005 01:16 PM

Re: Mineral Spirits- might not be a good additive

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I think I may have found an additive to stay away from. I have been tring to overcome the effects of winter blend "crapoline". I recently started adding mineral spirits because I had heard somewhere that it is a very volatile liquid. I started having problems with my ECU going into open loop at random times. I think my O2 sensor is either damaged or toast. :-( Now I have to drive this tank out before I can even change the O2 sensor if it's bad. GRRRR!

Ouch. That's good to know :(

I'm still on my third tank of acetone. It's been well over a month since I last refilled. I'm guessing I'm not a good guinea pig because I rarely drive. Maybe when it warms up I'll start making trips to Nevada as test runs.

diamondlarry 12-05-2005 02:07 PM

What's even worse is that

What's even worse is that this will pull my average down. :-( You may end up on top yet but I won't give up easily :D

Matt Timion 12-05-2005 02:58 PM

Re: What's even worse is that

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
What's even worse is that this will pull my average down. :-( You may end up on top yet but I won't give up easily :D

Eh, I'm sure my next tank will kill my average. I'm on winter blend too ya know.

rh77 12-05-2005 04:15 PM

What's in Crapoline?

What is it in the Winter blend that's killing our mileage? Is it MTBE? I know every different metro area has a different "blend"...

RH77

diamondlarry 12-05-2005 04:25 PM

I think MTBE was actually a

I think MTBE was actually a good additive as far as mpg goes. Then somebody decided that it was harmful to our health. They are thinking of replacing it with PIB. I wonder if they will go that route if they find out how well it works for mileage. I would like to see the research on MTBE. I wonder if it might have worked too well and BIG OIL was losing money. ;-)

SVOboy 12-05-2005 04:31 PM

MTBE still isn't outlawed in

MTBE still isn't outlawed in most states yet, but it is wicked bad for the environment. The Midwest is replacing it with ethanol right now, I thumb up that.

Compaq888 12-05-2005 08:57 PM

I think where I live it's

I think where I live it's not the fuel but the weather that made my MPG go down. When I was getting 28mpg it was 80+ outside, now it's 60+.

jamescartagena 12-16-2005 05:06 AM

Larry, Think I stumbled

Larry,

Think I stumbled across a combo that might help your winter mileage.

3 ounces of acetone
2 1/2 ounces of Xylene
1 ounce of Ethos FR

Add this to every ten gallons of gasoline and try it out. You might have to adjust the acetone to what you were getting your best gas mileage with when you were using acetone. In my case three ounces did it for me.

Just started using this and mileage went to 21.5 on my F150. The best I could get in winter without anything was 19.0. The best in summer so far with acetone alone was 21. Will keep testing and fine tuning this combo and keep you updated but wanted to share with everyone out there.

diamondlarry 12-17-2005 08:03 AM

Sorry about the delay in

Sorry about the delay in responding. My wife just came home from the hospital late last night. She is doing great.:-) Thanks for the info. I think I'll order some Ethos and give it a try. Now, I have to hope that my local hardware store has xylene on hand.