Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Crashing-Not good for mileage! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/crashing-not-good-for-mileage-1536.html)

diamondlarry 12-10-2005 07:31 PM

Crashing-Not good for mileage!

Today I crashed my Saturn. :-( I was driving down a county road that was snow covered and got sucked off the road and into a pole. The reason this isn't good for mileage is because you get 0 mpg while running the engine to keep warm while waiting to get pulled out. :-( Luckily, a nice farmer lived at the house where it happened and pulled me out for free. :D The car is still driveable and the doors all close and the hood still opens and closes right. But the main thing is that me, my wife, and my daughter were all fine.:-)
Now all I have to do is find a left headlight assembly, a passenger airbag, and a hood. Thanks to a suggestion by Compaq888, I think I may have found a place within 20 miles of my house that is supposed to have everything I need.

Matt Timion 12-10-2005 07:35 PM

Ouch. if you need me to

Ouch. if you need me to look at my local junkyard for any of the needed items I will look for you. Plenty of domestic cars there. I can get it to you for cost.

diamondlarry 12-10-2005 07:43 PM

Compaq888 told me about

Compaq888 told me about www.car-parts.com. I found an airbag for $175, a hood for $100, and a headlight for $85. Right now my priority will be the headlight since I drive to work in the dark for about 10 months out of the year. My biggest problem will be figuring out how to replace them. All my experience is in drivetrains.

Compaq888 12-10-2005 08:07 PM

If you can work on the

If you can work on the engine the headlight will be easy. The hardest part is aligning the headlight. You just don't want it working, you want it to work and point in the right trajectory.

Matt Timion 12-10-2005 08:07 PM

Re: Compaq888 told me about

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry
Compaq888 told me about www.car-parts.com. I found an airbag for $175, a hood for $100, and a headlight for $85. Right now my priority will be the headlight since I drive to work in the dark for about 10 months out of the year. My biggest problem will be figuring out how to replace them. All my experience is in drivetrains.

replacing the headlight should be easy. if worse comes to worse, get a manual at autozone.

The hood is a good price unless you can find one at a junkyard. They charge $40 for hoods here. Airbags are usually $30 or so at the junkyard, so I'd be a little weary of the $175.

What other years parts fit your car?

diamondlarry 12-10-2005 08:12 PM

Quote:What other years parts

Quote:

What other years parts fit your car?
I'm not totally sure but I think from 1996-2002 are the same bodies. I should check on that.

SVOboy 12-10-2005 08:13 PM

I'm glad everyone's okay and

I'm glad everyone's okay and that the poor thing isn't totalled. I don't think you need to count this tank towards your mileage though.

diamondlarry 12-10-2005 08:22 PM

Quote:I'm glad everyone's

Quote:

I'm glad everyone's okay and that the poor thing isn't totalled. I don't think you need to count this tank towards your mileage though.
I think if it's not more than 10% off of the norm I'll still count it. It seems that the bad effects of the mineral spirits may have worn off. According to my Scanguage I've been getting incredibly good mileage for this time of year for the past couple of days. If the trend keeps up I may have stumbled on a "formula" that counteracts the "winter crapoline". :-)

rh77 12-11-2005 09:43 AM

My best to you and your family

Larry-

Sorry to hear about your accident -- I've been down that road myself and know what a pain it is -- glad to hear everyone's OK.

-RH77

(I haven't been on here a while - on VAC this week)

Capcom 12-11-2005 10:14 AM

I'm glad that everyone is

I'm glad that everyone is okay too..

i posted a new topic to forum about fuel consumption at idle:
https://www.gassavers.org/forum_topic/detailed_fuel_consumption_data.html