Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Block Heaters (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/block-heaters-1550.html)

TANGOJETTA 10-14-2006 06:14 PM

I have one those 1000watt Zerostart coolant heater, it's best thing since slice bread. When I do my FE runs I make sure I plug it in. If I don't plug it wintertime I loose 15% in FE in my 33mile commute.

MetroMPG 10-15-2006 01:01 PM

Larry, FYI for comparison, here's what I wrote after I installed my EBH:

Quote:

Plugged in for an hour and a half to 2 hours, the engine temperature reads 40-50 F above ambient temperature at start-up, according to the ScanGauge.
The other Metro owner using the inline hose heater said he only noted a 10 degree F increase (also SG equipped), despite the coolant boiling away vigorously in the hose. (edit: he didn't say what the wattage was or how long it was plugged in - but I'd guess an hour)

diamondlarry 10-15-2006 01:11 PM

I saw what looked like a 20 degree above ambient this morning. I also noticed that the radiator tank seemed a bit warm too. If anything, maybe the hose heater will allow for quicker warm-ups.
Edit: I may have to break down and have a frost-plug heater installed.:(

GasSavers_James 10-15-2006 02:51 PM

I bought an engine block heater several weeks ago. It has an element that fits inside the block...so I guess that would be considered a "frost plug"?
I haven't installed it. I think that it would be difficult to do myself, and I am short on cash, so have been procrastinating. Right now I will have to stick with the taped up front end to decrease warm up time. Can't wait to get it installed.

MetroMPG 10-15-2006 07:25 PM

FYI, did another check on EBH warm up this evening before going to visit friends:

@ 50 F ambient...

83 F - as seen on the SG1 - after 1 hr
90 F - as seen on the SG1 - after 1.5 hrs

GasSavers_Randy 10-15-2006 08:34 PM

When it gets cold I use a normal 1500 watt heater in the car. I plug it in about 45 minutes before I leave, so it gets nice and toasty.
Once I start it I set it to full heat recirculate. The car cools back down, but dumps all that heat into the engine. It seems to heat up a bit faster. Obviously less effective than a block heater, but there's no installation.

red91sit 10-15-2006 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy
When it gets cold I use a normal 1500 watt heater in the car. I plug it in about 45 minutes before I leave, so it gets nice and toasty.
Once I start it I set it to full heat recirculate. The car cools back down, but dumps all that heat into the engine. It seems to heat up a bit faster. Obviously less effective than a block heater, but there's no installation.

On my car, i have a plug in with a timer on it for the block heater that turns on just before i wake up. Then about 15 minutes before i leave, i have a little space heater inside that car also on a timer. That kicks in WHAMO a nicely warmed up car with no excess engine wear or wasted fuel :D and actually less work on my car, (i don't have to run outside) just unplug the two cords and off i goo