Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   How do I replace a catalytic converter on a 2002 Nissan Altima? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/how-do-i-replace-a-catalytic-converter-on-a-2002-nissan-altima-1553.html)

Matt Timion 12-19-2005 11:29 AM

How do I replace a catalytic converter on a 2002 Nissan Altima?

My mom's check engine light is on. IT's been on for like 3 years now. She said that it went on b/c she ran over a rock on the freeway and it cracked her catalyic converter.

At least that's what the mechanic said.

She was quoted $500 to get it replaced.

I went to Kragen Auto Parts in SoCal this week and they don't carry the part. This explains the $500 price tag.

I know that recently DaX replaced his cat by getting a universal one and then welding the ends on. Can she just get one of these on ebay and then have a muffler shop weld the ends on?

Help me out here. I'm looking to save my mom some money :)

Matt Timion 12-19-2005 11:53 AM

Another question: Would a

Another question:

Would a high-flow cat work for CA smog laws? i've seen them on ebay cheap. I'm not sure if they are really hi flow cats or just test pipes. She needs to pass emissions in CA

SVOboy 12-19-2005 04:16 PM

They are just test pipes,

They are just test pipes, **** them. Jack the car up, unbolt, and rebolt, I think. I dummo though, think they're all bolted on for stock ****.

rh77 12-19-2005 05:03 PM

Re: How do I replace a catalytic converter on a 2002 Nissan Alti

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
My mom's check engine light is on. IT's been on for like 3 years now. She said that it went on b/c she ran over a rock on the freeway and it cracked her catalyic converter.

At least that's what the mechanic said.

She was quoted $500 to get it replaced.

I went to Kragen Auto Parts in SoCal this week and they don't carry the part. This explains the $500 price tag.

I know that recently DaX replaced his cat by getting a universal one and then welding the ends on. Can she just get one of these on ebay and then have a muffler shop weld the ends on?

Help me out here. I'm looking to save my mom some money :)

Is the mechanic trusted? A lot of times, if one of the oxygen sensors are bad, then the CEL comes on with a catalyst code. I'd get a second opinion, if possible. It could be a bad sensor, or if there was debris involved it could have disconnected some wiring...

Also, she can go to AutoZone or a similar store and get the code pulled for free...

RH77

SVOboy 12-19-2005 05:14 PM

Oh yeah, and dax did say 130

Oh yeah, and dax did say 130 bucks for his brother or someone to get a cat changed by a shop.

kickflipjr 12-19-2005 06:17 PM

I replaced mine for $180 (a

I replaced mine for $180 (a shop installed it).

n0rt0npr0 12-20-2005 12:09 AM

second opinion

If you have to, take it to another dealer and PAY the diagnostic fee. I've never heard of a bump cracking a CatConverter
Hell, go to autozone and have the codes pulled for free!! Post them on here, and we can pull up the why's to that code ourselves. The 02 can crack, so maybe the downstream 02 on that car is bad?
~Will

MetroMPG 12-20-2005 06:41 AM

i bought my first firefly

i bought my first firefly with the check engine light on. it seemed to run fine, and the previous owner said it had been on for a year.

here's what i found out, after the fact:

the light was on because the front oxygen sensor was toast. the result of not fixing it for a year (prev. owner) was that it was no longer contributing to proper fuel mixture control. the result of that was rich exhaust was reaching the catalytic converter, and over time burned it up. the catalyst matrix literally disintegrated and fell to pieces. i found chunks of it rattling around inside the muffler.

so i ended up having to replace both the sensor and the cat, when it really only needed a new O2 sensor a year earlier.

n0rt0npr0 12-20-2005 02:09 PM

yep Metro...

That is prolly EXACTLY what is going on with Matt's mom's Altima. So there ya go Matt, find the cheapest hi flow cat you can and the cheapest 02 (the autozone guy will let you know VIA the code just WHICH one or both are bad...prolly both seeing its been three years) and install the 02's yourself AFTER the Cat has been replaced. I'd have the Cat welded on, so just start calling shops to ask them how much for the labor since you will allready have the part.
After you have the Cat installed, then do the 02's unplug the ECM to reset ALL the lights on the dash and ALL the other codes...voilla! The car will prolly feel brand new. Put some acetone in her tank too, with it running rich for three years it'll like the acetone.