Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   winter mileage (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/winter-mileage-1573.html)

Matt Timion 12-30-2005 08:48 AM

winter mileage

Before the winter I was getting upper 30s - low 40s in gas mileage. Now I'm getting upper 20s - low 30s. I can't stand it.

Not only is it discouraging because it's essentially cold for around 5 months a year here, but my overall gas mileage is dropping.

Anyone else feeling my pain?

GasSavers_DaX 12-30-2005 10:44 AM

I totally feel your pain. I

I totally feel your pain. I went from 37-ish MPG down to 32-ish. I still drive conservatively, but it doesn't help. I can't wait for regular gas to reappear. Wouldn't it be nice to stock up about 350 gallons of summer gasoline and use it when you pleased during the winter?

MetroMPG 12-30-2005 11:16 AM

i'm with you. winter

i'm with you. winter mileage bites.

since i got the scangauge, i find i'm even driving a little bit longer to make sure the car is properly warm before shutting down - i go out of my way if the trip is too short for a proper warm up. (the result is i'm using more fuel overall, but my mpg average isn't dropping as fast as if i were only doing short, cold trips.)

block heater & grille block helps too.

chesspirate 01-02-2006 05:15 PM

Re: I totally feel your pain. I

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
I totally feel your pain. I went from 37-ish MPG down to 32-ish. I still drive conservatively, but it doesn't help. I can't wait for regular gas to reappear. Wouldn't it be nice to stock up about 350 gallons of summer gasoline and use it when you pleased during the winter?

Seriously, how long could gas be stored? After what time frame would it begin to break down?

SVOboy 01-02-2006 05:25 PM

My gramma has a farm and

My gramma has a farm and they store gas in 1000 gallon drums for months, just use it as they wants it.

MetroMPG 01-02-2006 07:25 PM

i have an extreme example of

i have an extreme example of gas storage. when i bought firefly #2 (my current car) a couple of months ago, it had been in storage since 1999 (it's a '98 - had been used for less than a year by the previous owner). It still had a full tank of 1999 gas in it.

it ran fine. i test drove it on the old gas. it was emissions tested on the old gas (and passed with flying colours).

but it definitely smelled "off" when you opened the gas cap - like turpentine. i asked around on a couple of forums about it and the concensus was to NOT use the gas. the worst-case scenario was that it could cause the intake valve stems to gum up and seize - several people said they had seen it happen. so the day i bought the car, i syphoned the old gas into containers and put in fresh before i drove it home.

if you want to store gas, you could always buy some fuel stabilizer and put it in. everyone i know who stores their "summer" car does this and 6 months later i've never heard of problems.

Compaq888 01-03-2006 03:52 AM

I don't think we get winter

I don't think we get winter gas here but my mileage dropped too. It's been raining all the time here. I'm only getting low 30/high 20's on the freeway. If it's not the rain then something is broke again. I don't even know when I need to change my oil. Last month I drove 1000+ miles in 2 weeks.