Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Having some transmission problems. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/having-some-transmission-problems-1587.html)

Compaq888 01-03-2006 04:12 PM

Having some transmission problems.

Long story short most of the people that ride my car "accidently" bump my shifter and it goes into N when driving or they "accidently" put it into 1st or 2nd while on the freeway.

The "people" I'm referring to is not me. Just some dumb people riding with me.

The transmission is an automatic. I noticed that I started getting bad gas mileage again. The shifts from 1-2 is suppose to be a little rough and the 2-3 shift is suppose to be smooth. Well now the 1-2 shift is smooth and the 2-3 shifts is a little bit rough.

The tranny oil has been changed 10k ago and it is up to level. There is nothing in the oil, in fact it looked brand new when I checked it.

The transmission is AUTO in case you missed it. Any ideas?

SVOboy 01-03-2006 04:55 PM

Might've killed it a bit.

Might've killed it a bit. When people joke about screwing up their auto to do an auto-manual swap (on honda-tech) they talk about neutral bombing it and such. That's basically rev it high in neutral and throw it into gear, much like what would've happened with you on the highway. Kills the transmission after a dozen or so tries (or so they say).

Compaq888 01-03-2006 06:14 PM

Nothing but problems. If the

Nothing but problems. If the car doesn't break down by itself then somebody breaks it.

Changing the tranny oil won't do nothing. I guess I'll just wait till the tranny breaks down completly and just get another one.

Compaq888 01-03-2006 07:01 PM

Also it's really weird but

Also it's really weird but my car has more power when I manually shift it. At the track my time is lower .2-.3 by manually shifting. Also If I mash on the gas on the freeway in D my 3rd gear starts at 4000rpm and accelarates very slow. If I'm manually shifting my 3rd gear starts at 4500rpm and the rpm moves a lot faster. Also in D my car shifts at 5800-5900. If I manually shift it, it does it at 6100rpm. Really weird. I don't have a Manumatic, all I have is 1,2,D,N,R,P

Matt Timion 01-03-2006 09:13 PM

Re: Also it's really weird but

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
Also it's really weird but my car has more power when I manually shift it. At the track my time is lower .2-.3 by manually shifting. Also If I mash on the gas on the freeway in D my 3rd gear starts at 4000rpm and accelarates very slow. If I'm manually shifting my 3rd gear starts at 4500rpm and the rpm moves a lot faster. Also in D my car shifts at 5800-5900. If I manually shift it, it does it at 6100rpm. Really weird. I don't have a Manumatic, all I have is 1,2,D,N,R,P

This is because your car's computer is designed to drive moderately. It shifts early to save on gas, to prevent excessive speeds, and to prolong the life of your engine.

Compaq888 01-03-2006 10:57 PM

I wish my car's computer was

I wish my car's computer was programmed for 2 functions. 1 is economy and the other is power.

GasSavers_DaX 01-04-2006 04:52 AM

Re: I wish my car's computer was

Quote:

I wish my car's computer was programmed for 2 functions. 1 is economy and the other is power.

This is the exact reason I purchased two cars - one for economy and one for power.

Compaq888 01-04-2006 12:38 PM

I don't have money for 2

I don't have money for 2 cars. Plus I'm already paying $100 a month for insurance.

SVOboy 01-04-2006 12:42 PM

I'm guessing both of them

I'm guessing both of them cost him less than 2,500 to buy though (total), then more for whatev work he's done on them.

GasSavers_DaX 01-05-2006 07:29 AM

Right around $2500 for both

Right around $2500 for both cars, maintenance here and there costing what it would normally cost. Insurance does suck though...$155 / month for both.

Compaq888 01-05-2006 12:39 PM

I reset the ecu, idle

I reset the ecu, idle completly changed, seems like the car warms up faster, maybe because idle rpm is raised. The 1-2 shift firmed up. It's getting there but it's not hitting like before.

Compaq888 01-11-2006 04:00 AM

The 1-2 shift now is so

The 1-2 shift now is so smooth that when it shifts you can't even feel it. This is disappointing. The 2-3 shift is a little too firm.

Compaq888 01-11-2006 01:37 PM

I'm doing all freeway now

I'm doing all freeway now and the gas gauge is falling fast. It took the car this morning 7 miles to go into overdrive. It usually does it in 4.5 miles. Something is definetly wrong.

Matt Timion 01-11-2006 02:29 PM

Re: I'm doing all freeway now

Quote:

I'm doing all freeway now and the gas gauge is falling fast. It took the car this morning 7 miles to go into overdrive. It usually does it in 4.5 miles. Something is definetly wrong.

Sounds to me like your transmission is definately slipping. Besides your cousin throwing it into nuetral and then drive a few times, have you done any HARD driving lately?

Compaq888 01-11-2006 02:47 PM

Re: I'm doing all freeway now

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:

Sounds to me like your transmission is definately slipping. Besides your cousin throwing it into nuetral and then drive a few times, have you done any HARD driving lately?

not really. I follow the instruction manual, it says that you can upshift the tranny all you want but you can't downshift unless the car is parked and the brake pedal is pressed.

He has thrown it in 1 or 2 during freeway speeds. One time he threw it into 2 while I was going 65-70mph, luckily second ends at 74mph so it just revved to 5800rpm and I had to upshift it back to D. He thinks by downshifting it it will go faster. He doesn't even know how to drive a manual. Another time my co-worker accidently hit the shifter while I was going up a very steep hill at 3000rpm, it revved up to redline and before I could react she put it back into D.

Also I noticed the rpm is a little higher at 65mph then it should be. Before it was like at 2100rpm, now it's at 2175-2200rpm. I pay attention to rpm a lot, it really helps getting good gas mileage.

Matt Timion 01-12-2006 11:34 AM

Time to take it to the

Time to take it to the mechanic/dealer. Is it still under any kind of warranty?

Sounds like the transmission is starting to slip. I read a post recently on a honda forum where the guy's gears actually busted a hole in his transmission housing and fell out.

GasSavers_DaX 01-12-2006 12:16 PM

Re: Time to take it to the

Quote:

Sounds like the transmission is starting to slip. I read a post recently on a honda forum where the guy's gears actually busted a hole in his transmission housing and fell out.

Seen it. But what I saw was from a manual transmission. The diff exploded and made large fresh air vents for the guy's tranny.

I'll post up pictures of the carnage from my younger brother's transmission once we get it out on Saturday.

Matt Timion 01-12-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Seen it. But what I saw was from a manual transmission. The diff exploded and made large fresh air vents for the guy's tranny.

I'll post up pictures of the carnage from my younger brother's transmission once we get it out on Saturday.

Yeah, it had to be a manual transmission for it to be on Honda-Tech. Automatic isn't JDM y0!

Do you have a link to that thread? I was trying to find it earlier and I couldn't.

Compaq888 01-12-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX

Yeah, it had to be a manual transmission for it to be on Honda-Tech. Automatic isn't JDM y0!

Do you have a link to that thread? I was trying to find it earlier and I couldn't.

I also want to see a link.

My cousin isn't going to pay when it finally dies. He is one of those people with no common sense.

SVOboy 01-13-2006 05:29 AM

The Link

<a href=https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1489166 target=_blank>The Link</a>

GasSavers_DaX 01-15-2006 04:34 AM

Re: The Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
<a href=https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1489166 target=_blank>The Link</a>

Not the thread I remember, but that's pretty much exactly the same thing.

I just yesterday swapped a new [used] tranny into my brother's civic. Upon inspection of his old one, he had an oil leak, ran it dry, siezed a needle bearing, and ripped all the teeth off third gear. I have pictures that I'll put up later today.

Compaq888 01-15-2006 05:49 AM

crazy

crazy

kickflipjr 01-21-2006 04:36 PM

My tranny has been slipping

My tranny has been slipping a bit too. When i go from 1-2.

Stupid auto!

A SL1 manual tranny swap would be real nice (they have taller gears then SL2 trannys)