Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Thinking of buying a Fast car? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/thinking-of-buying-a-fast-car-1596.html)

Compaq888 01-07-2006 06:57 AM

Thinking of buying a Fast car?

I'm thinking of a 95-99 Maxima auto or manual with I/H/E and 150 shot of nitrous w/ a nitrous controller. The aftermarket setup will cost $3000 and the car $4000-5000. What do you guys think?? It will be a 12 second car.

The altima will remain as a daily driver.

The maxima will get the seats removed, AC, radio, sound deading, and etc.

SVOboy 01-07-2006 07:34 AM

8 grand is a lot for a car

8 grand is a lot for a car that can only run 12s and only with nitrous, and also not be daily driven, :p

Compaq888 01-07-2006 08:40 AM

Re: 8 grand is a lot for a car

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
8 grand is a lot for a car that can only run 12s and only with nitrous, and also not be daily driven, :p

you're right. I could buy so many domestics for that price that can do 10's

SVOboy 01-07-2006 09:09 AM

Yeah but they're crap. Just

Yeah but they're crap. Just get a crx and you can do 11s for like 4kish and it'll be reliable for DD.

GasSavers_DaX 01-09-2006 07:37 AM

Re: Yeah but they're crap. Just

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Yeah but they're crap. Just get a crx and you can do 11s for like 4kish and it'll be reliable for DD.

I beg to differ. Show me a CRX that the total project cost under $4500 and is running 11's AND is a reliable DD.

I had about $10K in my civic and I was shooting for reliable daily driver in the 12's. I made it in the 12's, but blew the engine twice.

I'm a firm beleiver in:

FAST, CHEAP, RELIABLE - CHOOSE TWO

Matt Timion 01-09-2006 07:48 AM

Re: Yeah but they're crap. Just

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
I'm a firm beleiver in:

FAST, CHEAP, RELIABLE - CHOOSE TWO

My wife and I were talking about this yesterday actually. I told her that some people buy two cars. one for economy and one for speed. At first she said that it was stupid, but then she realized that most men think it's stupid to own 20 pairs of shoes. For whatever reason us men have this bizarre desire to have fast cars. I personally love driving her CRX around. Compared to my sedan her CRX is fast. For that brief instant I feel like a racecar driver.

I say buy two. Have your fast car for when you need to boost your man-ego or show off to everyone else. Keep your fuel efficient car for a Daily Driver and to save money.

SVOboy 01-09-2006 08:19 AM

Haha, I was kidding about

Haha, I was kidding about the reliable part. I was really just referring to boosting the hell out of a d16z6 or a ls. Xenocron has a stock ls boosted and making 300whp, and there is a full ls swap (mounts, axels, everything) for sale near me for 400 bucks, :p

MetroMPG 01-09-2006 08:55 AM

i used to worry about fast

i used to worry about fast in my road car.

now for fast, i get my fix with GT4. way cheaper (not to mention safer). but i'm older than most of you guys (maybe it's something I outgrew).

these days i'm leaning towards one car for economy. and another for super-economy (ev conversion).

efficiency is just a different flavour of "high performance". and, bonus: it's a technological approach and driving style that you can actually take to its limit the majority of the time you drive. on public roads... legally ... safely (most of the time). plus it takes more skill to drive efficiently than it does to drive fast.

maybe if i had the cash, i'd have 3 cars - the 3rd one for the track. i had a lot of fun and spent a lot of money in racing schools about 10 years ago. but the more i think about it, the more i'm happy to stick with GT4.

Matt Timion 01-09-2006 10:33 AM

Re: i used to worry about fast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
i used to worry about fast in my road car.

now for fast, i get my fix with GT4. way cheaper (not to mention safer). but i'm older than most of you guys (maybe it's something I outgrew).

these days i'm leaning towards one car for economy. and another for super-economy (ev conversion).

efficiency is just a different flavour of "high performance". and, bonus: it's a technological approach and driving style that you can actually take to its limit the majority of the time you drive. on public roads... legally ... safely (most of the time). plus it takes more skill to drive efficiently than it does to drive fast.

maybe if i had the cash, i'd have 3 cars - the 3rd one for the track. i had a lot of fun and spent a lot of money in racing schools about 10 years ago. but the more i think about it, the more i'm happy to stick with GT4.

I actually hear you on this one. I have 2 cars, my wife has one. I have my sedan which is my DD and fuel economy beast. I then have my little toy car I'm trying to restore. After this I might break down and build an EV conversion. I have no idea why I'd need 3 cars... but I guess I enjoy it, so that's why. I could keep one in storage for road trips, and just drive the little honda or the EV around town.

The way I see it EV is the wave of the future. might as well get ready now, eh?

rh77 01-09-2006 10:53 AM

Fast, Cheap, Reliable

Fast + Cheap + Reliable = 1999-2000 Honda Civic Si Coupe. It was fast: 0-60 -- low 7's, handling was spot-on, it was cheap to buy and operate (new was $17K in '99), required premium fuel, but got mid-to-high 20's on average fuel economy. I sold it at around 60K miles with no probs. I have a friend who bought one, now with 110,000 miles, no probs -- just routine maint. You can get one now for around $5-6K. B16A2 engine was awesome.

My $0.02

I'm thinking of getting a cheap weekend convertible -- any thoughts on the first gen. MX-5/Miata? I need something simple to work on -- originally considered an old MG-B, but it may too much hassle.

RH77