Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Vehicles (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Hybrid but not really (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/hybrid-but-not-really-1607.html)

SVOboy 01-10-2006 07:38 PM

Hybrid but not really
 
So, read this recent thread and am seeing all this cheap crap for doing EV. Well, can I add myself some drive force that goes on at the flick of a switch? I dun see what not. Tell me I suck, I feel like a fool for suggesting it.

Matt Timion 01-10-2006 07:54 PM

You mean like NOS?
 
You mean like NOS?

SVOboy 01-11-2006 12:10 PM

No, button like nitrous, but
 
No, button like nitrous, but hooked up to and electric motor somewhere in the drivetrain.

MetroMPG 01-11-2006 12:49 PM

(before you think i've lost
 
(before you think i've lost it, read the whole thing. don't hit "reply" after the first point...)

what about electric turbo/supercharger?

i don't know much about them, but I bet there's a debate about whether the energy required to run them offsets their gains. but that's when they're hooked into the charging system.

but what if you run it off an isolated/dedicated deep cycle battery? use it until the battery is low, then recharge. not much different than NOS - you have to refill that once it's empty too.

just puttin' it out there...

Matt Timion 01-11-2006 01:14 PM

Re: (before you think i've lost
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
(before you think i've lost it, read the whole thing. don't hit "reply" after the first point...)

What? That's crazy...


Anyway... check it out.
<p>
link 1

link 2

kickflipjr 01-11-2006 04:36 PM

svo, you mean like a
 
svo, you mean like a electric motor for the rear wheels.

that way when you are stuck in traffic/ slow conditions you can kill the engine and run on electric.

the only downside is the electric motor would have to carry the weight of the engine and less room for batteries.

SVOboy 01-11-2006 05:03 PM

Re: svo, you mean like a
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
svo, you mean like a electric motor for the rear wheels.

that way when you are stuck in traffic/ slow conditions you can kill the engine and run on electric.

the only downside is the electric motor would have to carry the weight of the engine and less room for batteries.

Kickflipjr has got what I mean. The turbocharger idea is good for charging the batteries, but I am thinking about how should I hook up the electric stuff to assist me. Reading matt's links now.

Matt Timion 01-11-2006 06:04 PM

Re: svo, you mean like a
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Kickflipjr has got what I mean. The turbocharger idea is good for charging the batteries, but I am thinking about how should I hook up the electric stuff to assist me. Reading matt's links now.

I don't know how to tell you this but a "turbocharger" isn't a "turbo battery charger."

It's a turbo (boost, etc.) only electric.

SVOboy 01-11-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:I don't know how to
 
Quote:

I don't know how to tell you this but a "turbocharger" isn't a "turbo battery charger."

It's a turbo (boost, etc.) only electric.
Well, it is physically a turbocharger, just hooked up to a generator and not providing forced induction.

Matt Timion 01-11-2006 06:44 PM

Re: Quote:I don't know how to
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:

I don't know how to tell you this but a "turbocharger" isn't a "turbo battery charger."

It's a turbo (boost, etc.) only electric.
Well, it is physically a turbocharger, just hooked up to a generator and not providing forced induction.

Actually, it is providing forced induction. Read the links I posted.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.