Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Custom Vehicle Listing Concerns (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/custom-vehicle-listing-concerns-16291.html)

joshlehman 06-12-2014 10:15 AM

Custom Vehicle Listing Concerns

We've heard here on the forum and in the support system from many folks who are concerned about custom vehicles and vehicle classification details that appear to be "lost".

First, let me re-assure you that nothing is "lost". Rather with this major update we have begun a process that will solve a number of very major problems the prior version of Fuelly exhibited around vehicles and vehicle classification. In the prior Fuelly system there were a wide variety of freeform custom text fields that could be used in classifying your vehicle. This led to a wild west of vehicle data with misspellings, incorrect classifications, flat out wrong data or data that was misplaced.

In addition, the old Fuelly system relied 100% on users entering new vehicles as they were available. In the new Fuelly we have integrated a number of database systems that push data to us as soon as it is available and confirmed. This data also comes with engine and transmission details that previously had to be manually managed. Granted, this isn't perfect yet as we are only bringing in domestic US vehicles at this point and are still relying on the community to fill in the international "gaps", but this too will improve over time.

Fixing this sort of situation is not something that can happen overnight in one shot (as Charon has clearly noted here ) however we are committed to working with the Fuelly community to improve this data and get through re-classification on these vehicles as fast as possible. The end goal is simply this: To get a more complete picture of your vehicle and vehicles like yours and to provide a better base for doing vehicle analytics, efficiency analytics and true cost of ownership. All this information is focused towards making Fuelly a more valuable resource to all of us in the Fuelly user community.

We would really appreciate your help in our efforts to get through this process. Right now you can "fix" your vehicle's classification by editing your vehicle and selecting the appropriate make, model, sub model, engine, etc criteria that matches your vehicle. The more we're able to tackle this as a community the better and faster we'll be able to address this overall. In the meantime we will be running some scripts that are able to capture basic things like minor misspellings and miss-classification where the system can make a really good guess at the correct fix.

BreathingBorla 06-12-2014 10:24 AM

just wanted to say thanks for putting in Ram as a truck maker!!

until now I had to put dodge, with has nothing to do with it anymore

RobertV 06-12-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreathingBorla (Post 176458)
just wanted to say thanks for putting in Ram as a truck maker!!

until now I had to put dodge, with has nothing to do with it anymore

BreathingBorla,
You're welcome! This is just one of the examples of where the limitations of Old Fuelly inhibited accurate data from being reported.
The RAM as a sole manufacturer was requested almost daily, and we were listening, just needed to make the move to bigger and better things to make it work.
We definitely appreciate your patience and support!

RobertV 06-13-2014 05:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Looser71 (Post 176516)
I tried to fix my vehicle's classification by updating my vehicles info.
However, the system does not seem to recognize the C-Max Energi (the plug-in hybrid version of the Ford C-Max. Looking at the "browse vehicles" listings, the C-Max is only listed as the regular hybrid model. I believe the Fusion Energi is also missing. I hope the plug-in hybrid classification will be back soon.
Thanks.

When you Edit your vehicle (Edit Vehicle-> Edit Type), please select "C-Max" from the drop down menu.
Attachment 1580

Alternatively, for those looking to add the vehicle for the first time-
Attachment 1581

Selecting the vehicle this way will prevent (or remove) it from being classified as "custom" from Old Fuelly's standpoint.

Happy Tracking!

Mulski 06-13-2014 10:09 AM

What happened to the Motorcyle listings...? Suggest rather than specify the specific model from a single list, why not go with a manufacturer drop down, which then filters to the model type. This will be easier to manage and search as well. Especially given your existing list is ridiculously small.

One other item of feedback, the 'total tracked miles' in the vehicle type is in a white font against a cream background, making it virtually impossible to see.

Thanks for updating the site though.

Cheers

DucatiSteve 06-13-2014 05:10 PM

It's saying that my 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 is a custom vehicle. This is actually a pretty popular mc. All the other listings for Ninja 1000 have been lost also. But my 2000 Ducati750 monster is still there. Weird huh?

andyrobo 06-13-2014 05:20 PM

We understand a lot of motorcycles and cars turned to "custom" after the backend conversion. Thanks again for reporting your models and please keep the reports coming. That being said, we will get all the customs sorted out in the weeks ahead. As Josh mentioned in the original post to this thread, we switched the taxonomy system being used and it's going to take us some time to get this all sorted. We feel strongly that this was the right move in the long run as we are simply confirming to auto industry aftermarket standards (how the parts suppliers identify different vehicles) but it's going to take us some time to merge everything to the same standard. We tried to automate as much as we could and that got us about 70% done but the rest will be completed through a more manual process in the weeks ahead.

Thanks again for your patience through this transition, we appreciate it.

RobertV 06-13-2014 07:55 PM

jlmuir,
That is strange isn't it? We'll look into this and have a fix for you soon.
Thanks for the feedback!

Draigflag 06-13-2014 11:14 PM

Hi guys, tried to do what you said and re-select my car from "custom", but Abarth is no longer available as a make when you try to edit it. However, if you go on browse vehicles, Abarth is still there at the top with just two models available.

Ive put it under Fiat 500 Abarth for now, which is what it is I guess, even though in the UK, Abarth is a seperate franchise to Fiat.

gdenbyUK 06-14-2014 08:11 AM

This 'fix' is a non starter when a good proportion (perhaps all) of the non - USA models are missing from the pull-down lists! Too USA-centric guys - please test your app against the rest of the world - we are after all in the majority LOL!

andyrobo 06-14-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pony (Post 176618)
Cant find my vehicle, mine is a "HONDA PCX 125".
There were lots of PCX 125's listed previously, but now they are all gone?

They are not gone, we just have some clean up to get done before they all show up again. Please be patient as we work through the cleanup.

obermd 06-14-2014 05:26 PM

The 2012 Cruze engine and EPA trim options are correct.

marvin 06-14-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyrobo (Post 176584)
We understand a lot of motorcycles and cars turned to "custom" after the backend conversion. Thanks again for reporting your models and please keep the reports coming. That being said, we will get all the customs sorted out in the weeks ahead. As Josh mentioned in the original post to this thread, we switched the taxonomy system being used and it's going to take us some time to get this all sorted. We feel strongly that this was the right move in the long run as we are simply confirming to auto industry aftermarket standards (how the parts suppliers identify different vehicles) but it's going to take us some time to merge everything to the same standard. We tried to automate as much as we could and that got us about 70% done but the rest will be completed through a more manual process in the weeks ahead.

Thanks again for your patience through this transition, we appreciate it.

If you want users to check and correct their vehicle details you may have to prompt them with a mass email like the one you sent to warn of the site outage.
This may not work well however if they are then confronted with incomplete and confusing model data from US only sources.
For older vehicles I suspect it may be very difficult to get comprehensive data from current industry sources.
Perhaps your filters need to have the option of using the "custom" data so that the site remains useful during the long data cleanup process.

tverbeek 06-15-2014 03:38 AM

I'm at a loss to understand why standardizing model designations would require throwing out entire manufacturers, and rebuilding the list from users pointing out what you left out. Did it occur to anyone there to *finish* the new system before switching over to it? This is half-assed change-management, folks.

SolarFarmer 06-16-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin (Post 176651)
If you want users to check and correct their vehicle details you may have to prompt them with a mass email like the one you sent to warn of the site outage.

This. Took me over an hour to figure out what was wrong with the RAM / Dodge pickup listings. The title of this thread didn't help matters any.

There needs to be a hotlink on all users dashboards explaining what they need to do to resolve these issues.

Volt3939 06-23-2014 08:52 AM

I notice that my 2011 Volt does not come up when I search for all 2011 Volts.

https://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet...olt3939/110666

Also I get zero stats, while other Volts are showing all the stats.:coolsmiley:

freddie 06-23-2014 09:19 AM

You have zero stats on here and the old Fuelly because you are entering large quantities of mileage for fuelups. Fuelly doesn't currently handle such large numbers for EV as they are discounted as being unreliable numbers. In the future we are going to better support electrical/hybrid vehicles in terms of gas mileage and electrical usage.

Volt3939 06-24-2014 03:33 PM

So why is my car not shown with the other 2011 Volts?

freddie 06-24-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt3939 (Post 177121)
So why is my car not shown with the other 2011 Volts?

Please edit your vehicle and select a submodel. Currently, you have your email address in the submodel field.

Volt3939 06-24-2014 09:48 PM

When I tried that earlier the Make was stuck on Other, no Chevrolet choice at all. The whole page was pretty much frozen, now that's working, but still not showing when searching for '11 Volts.

"Fuelly doesn't currently handle such large numbers for EV as they are discounted as being unreliable numbers. In the future we are going to better support electrical/hybrid vehicles in terms of gas mileage and electrical usage."

That's the same response from 2-3 years ago, hello, the future is here already. It's just numbers, and they are not "unreliable", they are the facts, please turn the nanny filters off already.

Draigflag 07-03-2014 01:35 PM

Hi chaps, a week or so ago I requested my car, a 2013 Clio be added to the database. This was done, with thanks. Obviously my car wont show for a couple of fuel ups, but when I click on "show all" a car that matches mine, perhaps a test vehicle? Apparently owned by RobertV shows. Just letting you know, incase it causes future problems. Link:

https://www.fuelly.com/car/renault/cl...RobertV/297759

RobertV 07-03-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 177386)
Hi chaps, a week or so ago I requested my car, a 2013 Clio be added to the database. This was done, with thanks. Obviously my car wont show for a couple of fuel ups, but when I click on "show all" a car that matches mine, perhaps a test vehicle? Apparently owned by RobertV shows. Just letting you know, incase it causes future problems. Link:

https://www.fuelly.com/car/renault/cl...RobertV/297759

LOL. Yes. A test vehicle to make sure when I added yours it was working.

I need to remember to filter my test vehicles. The other day we dug up a 999999999999(+/- a digit) mile fill-up. Caused all kinds of trouble. Gotta love that erroneous MPG though.

:whistling:

Draigflag 07-03-2014 10:49 PM

Haha oops!

Looser71 07-04-2014 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertV (Post 176526)
When you Edit your vehicle (Edit Vehicle-> Edit Type), please select "C-Max" from the drop down menu.
Attachment 1580

Alternatively, for those looking to add the vehicle for the first time-
Attachment 1581

Selecting the vehicle this way will prevent (or remove) it from being classified as "custom" from Old Fuelly's standpoint.

Happy Tracking!

I am glad that the drop down menu has the Energi option now. However, when browsing vehicles with that filter selection, there are still a lot of regular C-Max Hybrid models mixed in with the Energis. And the descriptions of those cars seem to be correct showing C_Max Hybrid...

JeanVW 07-10-2014 06:16 AM

I edited my vehicle type with Model Golf and Sub Model R, but the link to compare to similar vehicles goes to all Golfs, not just Golf R. In the old Fuelly, the comparison was to other Golf R vehicles.

Plus, when I list all VWs, "R" is not available: https://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen

Dav3y 07-11-2014 02:21 PM

I put in a request a few weeks back to add back in the Yamaha XJ6 that was removed in the site update. Current model and has been since 2009. It's still not been added :(

For reference there are sub models XJ6N, XJ6S & XJ6F which are the Naked, part faired and fully faired versions.

It's a shame it's taking so long to add back in totally legitimate models that now don't exist apparently.

4and2 07-11-2014 03:23 PM

I'm very disappointed that the breakdown of models by so much minutia has totally screwed up seein' all of a particular model's membership in one fell swoop!

Mulski's suggested drop down (and get down) menus would kick butt. Please do this! Anyway, you can't expect anyone to list EVERY mod done to a vehicle? With a 1983 Alfa Romeo GTV6 bought new and currently showing 462,946 verifiable (s)miles on the odometer, it'd be much easier to list what is stock!!!

I am very pleased with the new look and "feel" of the web site. Bravo! But please, work out the obvious bugs to make it the all-around best!

Always drive/ride with a smile per mile.

Ciao

Mulski wrote:

What happened to the Motorcyle listings...? Suggest rather than specify the specific model from a single list, why not go with a manufacturer drop down, which then filters to the model type. This will be easier to manage and search as well. Especially given your existing list is ridiculously small.

One other item of feedback, the 'total tracked miles' in the vehicle type is in a white font against a cream background, making it virtually impossible to see.

gdenbyUK 07-11-2014 11:21 PM

One month in and still no visible progress... I've put in a 'new vehicle' request for the Toyota Yaris Hybrid in the hope that it wakes somebody up! Your European users are losing hope!

RobertV 07-11-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dav3y (Post 177642)
I put in a request a few weeks back to add back in the Yamaha XJ6 that was removed in the site update. Current model and has been since 2009. It's still not been added :(

For reference there are sub models XJ6N, XJ6S & XJ6F which are the Naked, part faired and fully faired versions.

It's a shame it's taking so long to add back in totally legitimate models that now don't exist apparently.

I've been going through the requests this past week. Motorcycles require much more research than Car/Trucks. So many different submodels/names.
I went ahead and added the XJ6's for you. Should be visible at this time.

For the record, for anyone else reading through this... it's not that Fuelly thinks the hidden models don't exist. It's just many of the user-inputted vehicles that didn't exactly match our database/listing of vehicle (as manufacturers listed them) as well as many non-US model vehicles were left in limbo per se, and deemed "Custom" until clarification/editing by the Fuelly Driver (or in this case, us to move things along) to be sorted correctly and visible in the Browse Vehicles section.

We're getting through it, and we appreciate everyone's patience while we do.