Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Need "Initial Fill" or Start Mileage (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/need-initial-fill-or-start-mileage-16495.html)

ember1205 07-03-2014 11:02 AM

Need "Initial Fill" or Start Mileage

When adding a vehicle to Fuelly, I need an option to set the initial mileage for the first full tank. Currently, I enter the odometer reading, put "1" for the gallons, and "0" for the price per gallon. I would MUCH prefer some sort of option when adding a vehicle to input the current mileage with full tank or similar.

RobertV 07-03-2014 11:24 AM

I'm not sure I understand your concern.

When you filled-up, what was your odometer reading at the time? Input that.
Along with the amount of fuel you entered.

If you don't know/have the information for that first fill, then start with your next.

ember1205 07-03-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertV (Post 177376)
I'm not sure I understand your concern.

When you filled-up, what was your odometer reading at the time? Input that.
Along with the amount of fuel you entered.

If you don't know/have the information for that first fill, then start with your next.

I wasn't the one that filled it... Car came with a full tank of gas.

And, to be blunt, I don't -want- to wait until the next fill up. There's no reason that I can't start tracking immediately. Especially since the fuel I will add to the car on the next fill up is to replace what I have used, and counts towards the miles I have already driven. Waiting a tank skews the cost numbers.

RobertV 07-03-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ember1205 (Post 177377)
I wasn't the one that filled it... Car came with a full tank of gas.

And, to be blunt, I don't -want- to wait until the next fill up. There's no reason that I can't start tracking immediately. Especially since the fuel I will add to the car on the next fill up is to replace what I have used, and counts towards the miles I have already driven. Waiting a tank skews the cost numbers.

I agree.
But if you don't know the mileage when you filled-up, how are you supposed to calculate (accurately) your MPG?

Would it be safe to say when you bought the car with X miles, the dealer had just filled it up? But, then, you'd also need to know how much fuel the dealer input...

ember1205 07-03-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertV (Post 177378)
I agree.
But if you don't know the mileage when you filled-up, how are you supposed to calculate (accurately) your MPG?

Would it be safe to say when you bought the car with X miles, the dealer had just filled it up?

I buy a car. It has 10,000 miles on it. I add the car to Fuelly, and set the initial mileage at 10k. The car has a full tank (stated in previous post).

I drive 200 miles and fill the tank. By inputting the gallons, cost, and 10,200 for the odometer, I am IMMEDIATELY able to see MPG calculations AND my running costs.

This is the functionality I want.

andyrobo 07-19-2014 09:06 AM

Thanks for your feedback, we'll consider this in a future release. If you want to track your new vehicle with Fuelly today you will need to wait until the next full tank.

richmond2000 07-19-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ember1205 (Post 177373)
When adding a vehicle to Fuelly, I need an option to set the initial mileage for the first full tank. Currently, I enter the odometer reading, put "1" for the gallons, and "0" for the price per gallon. I would MUCH prefer some sort of option when adding a vehicle to input the current mileage with full tank or similar.

I know it is NOT what you want but to do a fill up on the way home even if it is 1 Litre it will start "adding up" the fuel burned/milage tracking
I also wonder how full the DEALER is getting it VS you and your NORMAL filling procedure(1 -2 clicks)

RobertV 07-20-2014 05:30 AM

Currently you can add a fillup with the Odometer, and .01 as the gallons and leave the price blank.

Although, I agree with richmond2000 above which I sort of hinted at.
Most fuel gauges aren't 100% accurate. So when you fill a vehicle with a 12 gallon tank with 11 gallons it'll likely show on the gauge it's full, even if it's still short a gallon.
My wife's Scion is the worst. It'll show Full to 3/4 full for the longest time. She has a 12 gallon tank. If I drive it to almost empty (which happens more often than I'd prefer thanks to the poor accuracy of the gauge). I can input 1 to 6 gallons and it'll show 1/4 full on the gauge. This makes no sense. Input any more, and you're "Full".
I'd imagine, with the cost of fuel, a dealer is only going to pump as much as necessary to make the consumer THINK they are getting a "free tank".

Reminds me of a Rental Car situation. They just want the gauge to be at a certain mark. Doesn't matter how much you pump. As long as that needle is semi-close to where it needs to be.

Draigflag 07-20-2014 07:46 AM

I have a funny fuel gauge in my new car too, if I brim it, it wont move for 300 miles, then it shoots down a quarter pretty quick, then it just moves normaly. And the manual says its a 10 gallon tank, but its obviously more than that, as I get 700 to 800 miles per tank.

ember1205 07-20-2014 08:10 AM

In a vehicle with, let's just say, a 15 gallon tank, I will have at LEAST 14.5 gallons in it when I pick it up from the dealer. Over the course of 250-300 miles, that difference of a half gallon (less, actually) will be small.

Over the course of 50,000-100,000 miles driven or more, it will make ZERO difference.

An option to record an input as "Initially Full" is easy to code into the site and the app. And, it is easier to document than telling people how to fake out the system as described. And, incidentally, I've used this fake-out method because I have to.

With regard to dealers pumping "only what they need to", you're a bit off the mark. While I agree that a "full tank of fuel" is factored into the purchase, and often even itemized on the bill of sale, it would take FAR too much work and training to get the runners trained on how to fill a tank just far enough to move the needle to F. They pump until it shuts off and call it good.