Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   First Job Offer! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/first-job-offer-1671.html)

GasSavers_DaX 02-03-2006 06:53 AM

First Job Offer!

Well, after taking me out for drinks last night at a fancy restaurant, my boss dropped a job offer in my lap. I'm currently a part time employee for <a href="https://www.salumedica.com">SaluMedica, LLC</a>, a medical device outfit in Atlanta, GA. I've worked as a part time employee there for over two years. I will be graduating from Georgia Tech in August of this year with my bachelor's in mechanical engineering. Upon graduation, they are offering me a $44,000 salary with benefits, two weeks paid vacation, and lots of stock options.

I'm not 100% sure I'm going to take this offer, as it is at the lower end of the scale of ME starting pay, but it's nonetheless exciting!

Matt Timion 02-03-2006 08:01 AM

Congrats! Now you can

Congrats!

Now you can afford a s800 or a n600!

I have some leads by the way if you're interested :)

SVOboy 02-03-2006 08:06 AM

44k will buy you a few toys,

44k will buy you a few toys, I wouldn't know what to do with money like that, donate it prolly, :p

MetroMPG 02-03-2006 08:11 AM

congratulations on the job

congratulations on the job offer.

i make *significantly* less than that - mostly by choice (self-employed).

i remember when graduating from university, one of my friends was the first to land a really good job (let's say 60-70k, around 12-13 years ago). shortly thereafter he uttered some words of wisdom that stuck with me ever since:

"THERE IS NO LEVEL OF INCOME YOU CAN'T OUT-SPEND!"

SVOboy 02-03-2006 08:25 AM

Quote:"THERE IS NO LEVEL OF

Quote:

"THERE IS NO LEVEL OF INCOME YOU CAN'T OUT-SPEND!"
Down the street from my school there is a house bigger than the white house, prolly one of the top 10 in the US, biggest in the state for sure.

Musta cost 10 Million+, it's crazy, I have a feeling that they could never outspend their income. You've got to think that for some people you'd be spending a million a day, and there's just not enough time to spend it when you're earning a million a day, :p

Matt Timion 02-03-2006 08:27 AM

ha! 10 million would get

ha! 10 million would get you a relatively large house in Los Angeles... maybe 4000 square feet, depending on your neighborhood.

Money is all relative.

I make good money, but if I lived back in SoCal I'd still be in a one bedroom apartment barely making ends meet.

GasSavers_DaX 02-03-2006 08:43 AM

Thanks on the congrats. As

Thanks on the congrats. As far as buying an n600, yeah, it may be a reality now, but first I gotta get a place to live and get married. Tammara won't put up with me buying ANOTHER car until after we get a house, so the house is first, then the wedding, then the car. The best I have heard of from my friends for starting pay was $51,000, but that was somewhere out in TX! I really want to stay in Atlanta. I agree about not being able to outspend any income level. Not only will I have a house to pay for, but also about $60,000 in school loans. yay.

rh77 02-03-2006 12:39 PM

Congrats!

Congrats DaX! As far as the offer goes, if you don't feel that the salary is up to averages, make your employer a counter-offer that's more reasonable (and have the averages ready as a quick reference). I know it's hard to do, but if your job is specialized and there aren't many qualified candidates, then you're in the driver's seat. It's worked for me a couple times...

RH77

SVOboy 02-03-2006 01:33 PM

Quote:ha! 10 million would

Quote:

ha! 10 million would get you a relatively large house in Los Angeles... maybe 4000 square feet, depending on your neighborhood.
This house is over 60k feet, I believe. ;)

Compaq888 02-04-2006 02:00 AM

Re: ha! 10 million would get

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I make good money, but if I lived back in SoCal I'd still be in a one bedroom apartment barely making ends meet.

This is why I hate living here!!!
I make enough for a single. If I lived where you lived I would of had enough for a 2 bedroom apartment not to mention a nice car.

GasSavers_DaX 02-06-2006 04:48 AM

Re: Quote:ha! 10 million would

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:

This house is over 60k feet, I believe. ;)

There is a huge house for sale near where I live, Dean Gardens. Here is a picture:

https://www.hiltonheadluxurypropertie..._aerial2sm.jpg

$22.5 Million
32K square feet
60 acres
private golf course
private lake
etc.

LINK

Matt Timion 02-06-2006 05:04 AM

Is the Chattahoochee River

Is the Chattahoochee River really THAT dirty all of the time?

GasSavers_DaX 02-06-2006 12:24 PM

Haha, it is a filthy river,

Haha, it is a filthy river, but no, that picture was probably taked the day after a hard rain.

philmcneal 02-23-2006 12:28 AM

sometimes posts like these

sometimes posts like these can't break the laziness of hitting the books.

But damn that's what school gets you! Congrats.