Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   What type of data would you like with the gaslog? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/what-type-of-data-would-you-like-with-the-gaslog-1696.html)

Matt Timion 02-08-2006 09:15 AM

What type of data would you like with the gaslog?

I'm able to do charts, graphs, reports, etc. using the data in the gaslog. What would you like? A bar graph of some sorts? Perhaps a line graph showing the variation of your fillups?

Maybe a cool graphic (which displays your MPG reading) that you can use as a signature in other forums?

SVOboy 02-08-2006 09:44 AM

I think the best thing for

I think the best thing for the gas log would be a little line graph that shows the ups and downs of our mileage.

You could also do something where we could create modifications and then log gas mileage under different mods also (sorta like the cars and garage).

Also, we don't have enough info yet for a sitewide gas log to compare different models of cars, but mehbe something to could graph the site's gas mileage as a whole on the main gas log page.

krousdb 02-08-2006 09:52 AM

Re: What type of data would you like with the gaslog?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I'm able to do charts, graphs, reports, etc. using the data in the gaslog. What would you like? A bar graph of some sorts? Perhaps a line graph showing the variation of your fillups?

Maybe a cool graphic (which displays your MPG reading) that you can use as a signature in other forums?

I guess what I would like to see is more info on the big things that effect mileage. Ave temperature, speed, city or highway driving. That way you could graph mileage/temp, mileage/speed, city mileage and highway mileage. The mileage database at Greenhybrid used to plot mileage/month. It would average your mileage for each month and plot it. You would see the winter dip and the summer spike in mileage. They don't do that any more because after a year of data, the graphs would get messed up. The mileage sig is a nice idea.

Matt Timion 02-08-2006 10:11 AM

Re: What type of data would you like with the gaslog?

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
I guess what I would like to see is more info on the big things that effect mileage. Ave temperature, speed, city or highway driving. That way you could graph mileage/temp, mileage/speed, city mileage and highway mileage. The mileage database at Greenhybrid used to plot mileage/month. It would average your mileage for each month and plot it. You would see the winter dip and the summer spike in mileage. They don't do that any more because after a year of data, the graphs would get messed up. The mileage sig is a nice idea.

I can easily add a few extra variables, which we can later make graphs out of. Perhaps I'll do this right now.

I think though that we can do the monthly linegraph too.

MetroMPG 02-08-2006 10:22 AM

for driving type, i'd like

for driving type, i'd like that to be a table field required for each entry - eg: city; hwy; mixed.

we could then view averages based on driving type if desired, which is more useful for all kinds of reasons: for our own information; for comparison; and competition!.

some of us do more of one type of driving than others, which makes comparisons difficult if we're only able to view the cumulative calculation as an end point.

see https://metrompg.com/details.htm (orange box, top left) for the stats i track.

and.. while i'm making my wish list :) i'd love it if you incorporated optional e-mail notification when forum threads are updated. even if you just started out with a generic one that informed of ANY thread update. (man, don't you just hate "feature creep" - damn clients!)

MetroMPG 02-08-2006 10:28 AM

one more idea: would be good

one more idea: would be good to be able to incorporate the EPA/NRCan ratings for each vehicle to be able to view each driver's hypermileage status (the statement refers to exceeding the ratings, doesn't it dan?)

JanGeo 02-08-2006 10:38 AM

additions

Maybe a delete option for an entry
Brand of gas
Shorter headings before you run out of room across the screen
i.e. (MPG) (TRIP) Acetone (ACE) Torco (BIP) additives amounts oz/cc
fillup - 1 click etc Temp Day/Night

Most can be put in the notes field already.
I take it we don't bother tracking the cost of the fillup.

Matt Timion 02-08-2006 11:15 AM

Re: for driving type, i'd like

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
for driving type, i'd like that to be a table field required for each entry - eg: city; hwy; mixed.

we could then view averages based on driving type if desired, which is more useful for all kinds of reasons: for our own information; for comparison; and competition!.

some of us do more of one type of driving than others, which makes comparisons difficult if we're only able to view the cumulative calculation as an end point.

see https://metrompg.com/details.htm (orange box, top left) for the stats i track.

and.. while i'm making my wish list :) i'd love it if you incorporated optional e-mail notification when forum threads are updated. even if you just started out with a generic one that informed of ANY thread update. (man, don't you just hate "feature creep" - damn clients!)

I was thinking of this, and I thought a good solution might be something like the following:

Percentage Hwy:
Percentage City:

The problem with this, however, is assuming the person is capable of accurately estimating percentages. I could just do a dropdown box of "city, highway, mixed" as well.

The email notification is something I would like to do as well. I'm planning on re-writing the entire forum module this spring, which will have this feature. The existing forum architecture is poorly written and organized, so I figure I could re-write it and add all of ths stuff I've always wanted.

Matt Timion 02-08-2006 11:21 AM

I should have a delete

I should have a delete option for an entry. I'll do that soon as well.

Brand of gas would be good, except there might be one problem. Would the brand of gas be for the current fill up, or the previous one? If it's for the current fill up, the brand of gas will affect the NEXT entry's gas mileage.

For additives I'd like to leave it as generic as possible. I might be able to create an additive feature that allows you to enter the name of the additive and then the amount, up to give additives per tank.

As for the cost of gas, SVOBoy mentioned this recently, and I think it's not a bad idea. This would be an easy addition, and could be for fun comparison. This would also allow us to figure price per mile, or miles per dollar.

SVOboy 02-08-2006 11:23 AM

I also mentioned months ago

I also mentioned months ago about the reply notification feature!

What do you think about my idea for classifying tanks by modification though or what that get too complicated eventually to make sense?

MetroMPG 02-08-2006 11:29 AM

Re: one more idea: would be good

Quote:

incorporate the EPA/NRCan ratings

just to clarify: the goal here would be to display what % over/under the ratings you were on the fill-up. that's where the city/hwy/mixed table field would help.

rh77 02-08-2006 01:25 PM

I like the barchart idea

I kinda like the bar or line-graph idea, per each vehicle in the garage. Also, I agree with the City/Hwy entry and to keep the comments field. Just brainstorming, but a weather conditions field might help too.

RH77

krousdb 02-08-2006 02:10 PM

Hypermiler defined

Quote:

one more idea: would be good to be able to incorporate the EPA/NRCan ratings for each vehicle to be able to view each driver's hypermileage status (the statement refers to exceeding the ratings, doesn't it dan?)

My understanding of hypermileage is when someone exceeds the combined EPA ratings for thier vehicle. This was the terminology on the other website. You had to have at least 3 tanks to qualify. Hyper=over achieve to some standard. So for my Prius, rated at 60/51/55 combined, one would have to maintain at least 55MPG average after three tanks to qualify. For the del Sol, 34/38, i would need 36MPG to qualify.

A further variation on the theme is "valedictorian hypermiler". To qualify, you had to beat the combined by 15 0r 20%, I can't remember exactly. Wayne Gerdes who coined the terminology and maintained the hypermiler thread at GH may possibly be starting his own website shortly. Like gas savers, it would not focus on hybrids, rather on all cars. IMO, Diesel owners did not feel welcome at GH because of the large population of environmentalists there.

I added my tanks to the gaslog today. Sorry MetroMPG for knocking you off of the top spot. :-(

JanGeo 02-08-2006 02:43 PM

Hypermilage

Guess I am heading for hypermiler real soon since the xB is rated 30/33 and I am in the low 40's.

The Brand of gas should be for the fillup as well as the price otherwise you could get confused - the current fillup will show what the prior gas type has given - no other way would be clear to use. I don't know what I started with when the dealer filled it up anyway. Simple to have the columns for the common additives and then a couple for fill in.

MetroMPG 02-08-2006 02:47 PM

Re: Hypermiler defined

Quote:

I added my tanks to the gaslog today. Sorry MetroMPG for knocking you off of the top spot. :-(
the king is dead. long live the king!

no need to be sorry. it'll help me to pull up my socks.

SVOboy 02-08-2006 03:05 PM

Haha, knocked me down to the

Haha, knocked me down to the last spot, I need to pull up my crappy winter mileage.

krousdb 02-08-2006 03:13 PM

Re: Hypermiler defined

Quote:

no need to be sorry. it'll help me to pull up my socks.

At 46 combined, you are already a hypermiler. No doubt that living up north hurts a lot. But there is always room to improve. Your Metro has great potential. :-)

krousdb 02-08-2006 03:16 PM

Re: Haha, knocked me down to the

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Haha, knocked me down to the last spot, I need to pull up my crappy winter mileage.

All you need are a few long road trips. You are welcome to come for a visit.:-)

SVOboy 02-08-2006 03:19 PM

I will be, eh, I get 45ish

I will be, eh, I get 45ish highway even in the winter, by my estimation based on 1/3rd highway tanks, but this city driving is a killer. One tank this summer was half highway and I got 45 total, :)

kickflipjr 02-08-2006 05:27 PM

Well, today I just just

Well, today I just just knocked off the top10. I would like to be able to look up users who arn't on the 10 ten easily. The bar or line graph
would be cool too.

rh77 02-08-2006 05:31 PM

Re: Well, today I just just

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr
Well, today I just just knocked off the top10. I would like to be able to look up users who arn't on the 10 ten easily. The bar or line graph
would be cool too.

Yeah, I got knocked off of last place long ago -- it just feeds the competetive fire to get my car at least close to making the list again. I haven't really done much lately -- kind of at a standstill. Mostly it's been driving style -- 55mph max to stay in the high 20s/low 30s. I'm sure we'll all improve once summer comes around...

RH77

MetroMPG 02-08-2006 05:34 PM

that's why i'd like to see

Quote:

Originally Posted by svoboy
but this city driving is a killer

that's why i'd like to see fuel consumption classified by city/hwy/mixed, svoboy. you may already be a "city" hypermiler depending on your car's city rating (are you???). but your driving patterns may prevent you from ever becoming an overall/mixed hypermiler.

---

as for the potential of my firefly, i'm not so sure about that. i know i've mentioned before that it's waaay more difficult to beat its rating than any other car i've driven. and i'm not sure if the issue is me, the car, or the rating.

e.g. in the last 4 years of driving my 89 accord, i averaged 35.8 mpg, which is a comfortable 33% over the EPA combined rating of 27. and i did that without even trying very hard (relative to my driving style in the past year).

yet with the firefly, i'm struggling mightily, and barely squeezing out a 3% victory by the same criteria.

and if i go by the canadian ratings, i'm actually falling short of the car's combined rating by 1 or 2 percent! (my NRCan hwy rating is 12% higher than the EPA's - i haven't compared other vehicles to see if the discrepancy is consistent)

SVOboy 02-08-2006 05:48 PM

My EPA ratings are actually

My EPA ratings are actually 29/32, with 31 for mixed, so I think I'm beating it. It's just a bummer because I got like 3 tanks in summer when I bought the car and now I'm screwed. So much work to be done and not enough money or time to do it. Spring break better be free of **** to do .

krousdb 02-09-2006 04:31 AM

Re: that's why i'd like to see

Quote:

e.g. in the last 4 years of driving my 89 accord, i averaged 35.8 mpg, which is a comfortable 33% over the EPA combined rating of 27. and i did that without even trying very hard (relative to my driving style in the past year).

yet with the firefly, i'm struggling mightily, and barely squeezing out a 3% victory by the same criteria.

and if i go by the canadian ratings, i'm actually falling short of the car's combined rating by 1 or 2 percent! (my NRCan hwy rating is 12% higher than the EPA's - i haven't compared other vehicles to see if the discrepancy is consistent)

I don't know exactly where you live in Canada, but the more efficient the engine, the bigger hit you take for cold weather. Part if it may be where you live. The Firefly would suffer more than the Accord.

A top ten list, or a ranking by MPG only really makes sense if everyone had the same car. As was mentioned before in this thread, it might be more fair by showing the % over the combined EPA rating. That way, there is no penalty for having "the wrong car". The idea is to do the best we can with what we have.

Another thing to consider is that some cars may have been "tuned" by the manufacturer such that they happen to do very well on the EPA test program, but don't necessarily do well in real life.

IIRC on the EPA highway cycle, the average speed is 48mph. The top speed is only 60mph. I would call that a suburban cycle rather than highway. In 1985, the EPA began discounting highway test results by 22% and city results by 10%. To put that in perspective, if the 98 Firefly had been around in 1984, it's EPA rating would have been 48/60. Ouch!

MetroMPG 02-09-2006 06:45 AM

Re: that's why i'd like to see

Quote:

the more efficient the engine, the bigger hit you take for cold weather.

hadn't considered that. but i'm not that far north - i'm on the st. lawrence river in southeastern ontario, roughly 500 km northeast of your location. looking at a map, i'm at a lower lattitude than several entire mid/western states.

Quote:

IIRC on the EPA highway cycle, the average speed is 48mph. The top speed is only 60mph.
did some more digging and found an article comparing the EPA and NRCan test cycles. our country's city cycles differ, however the highway tests are essentially identical. (which makes my 12% higher NRCan hwy rating even more bizarre).

Quote:

if the 98 Firefly had been around in 1984, it's EPA rating would have been 48/60. Ouch!
essentially it was around in 94: not counting the ultra stingy XFi model, the previous gen. car used the same TBI 993cc engine (though ODB1) & transmission, however the body style of the pre-95's were slightly smaller and 180 lbs lighter than the car i've got.

the '94 metro's EPA rating is 46/49: same hwy figure & 2 mpg higher on the city cycle (which could be accounted for in the weight difference). the rating for the 1993 model is 46/50. unfortunately canadian data prior to 95 isn't available.

GasSavers_DaX 02-09-2006 09:56 AM

Re: Haha, knocked me down to the

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy

All you need are a few long road trips. You are welcome to come for a visit.:-)

I can't wait to finish my HF transmission and do some full tank I-285 night runs. :)

SVOboy 02-09-2006 10:47 AM

Quote:I can't wait to finish

Quote:

I can't wait to finish my HF transmission and do some full tank I-285 night runs. Smiling
Hell yeah, I'm picking up krousdb a free cx tranny so he'll be in the same boat, :p

MetroMPG 02-21-2006 09:52 AM

matt - been playing with the

matt - been playing with the GD equivalent for CF. got a basic charting mini app working. This is the actual "complete" f/e data for Firefly #1:

https://metrompg.com/offsite/details-...art-sample.gif

to this i'm planning to add:

- a corresponding rolling plot of "lifetime mpg" (cumulative miles/gal re-calc'd at each fill up), so you can easily see where each fill-up lies in relation to your "lifetime mpg".

- reference lines for: EPA city/hwy/avg estimates

- reference line for: other drivers' actual mpg with the same car

i'll post back when i've added this stuff. we should be able to translate this approach from CF to PHP for the gaslog area once i've ironed out the details.

(can you spot the small fillup affected by filling error??? :D)

MetroMPG 02-21-2006 10:10 AM

i was also thinking of

i was also thinking of generating image map code for each chart, so you could mouse-over each fill-up datapoint and view the details in the browser status bar. (if you wanted, i guess you could also javascript it up to display the data elsewhere on the page)

GasSavers_DaX 02-21-2006 10:59 AM

Re: matt - been playing with the

Quote:

https://metrompg.com/offsite/details-...art-sample.gif
(can you spot the small fillup affected by filling error??? :D)

Holy crap! My theory is proved!

MetroMPG 02-21-2006 01:30 PM

Re: matt - been playing with the

OK, added the EPA reference lines to the plot for Firefly #1. need to make a legend in the image, but here's the deal: dash length from short to long = city / combined / hwy estimates for this car

https://metrompg.com/offsite/details-...sample-epa.gif

MetroMPG 02-21-2006 03:27 PM

added cumulative (lifetime)

added cumulative (lifetime) mpg, which is updated at each fill point. still have to work out a bug that sometimes mis-orders things when there are 2 fillups on the same day.

for firefly #1...

https://metrompg.com/offsite/details-...pa-lmpg-f1.gif

for firefly #2...

https://metrompg.com/offsite/details-...pa-lmpg-f2.gif