Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Very LOW MPG (15 MPG) for 2014 my NISSAN Rouge! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/very-low-mpg-15-mpg-for-2014-my-nissan-rouge-17009.html)

lenka12 11-07-2014 07:54 AM

Very LOW MPG (15 MPG) for 2014 my NISSAN Rouge!

Hello,
I got a new NISSAN ROUGE 2014 SV in August, 2014
The car should make 25 MPG in City. I see the reports
from another members. The average MPG is about 21-23
I got only 15-16 MPG? Is something wrong with a car?
Would be great get advice. Thanks.

Draigflag 11-07-2014 08:31 AM

Could you possibly post more details, engine size/transmission type, typical driving conditions etc as the last time I heard someone get MPG's as low as that, they were driving a fully loaded 18 wheeler!

lenka12 11-07-2014 08:46 AM

2014 Nissan Rogue SV 2.5L GAS L4 Automatic CVT, AWD
The driving condition:
100% in City (New York), some times traffic. Mostly one driver and 2 kids.
Using car to work - school - home.

Draigflag 11-07-2014 09:38 AM

It does sound very low, although gas engines with auto boxes never optimise economy. If its still quite new, I find the engine will free up and give better economy after a few thousand miles, and also you will learn what techniques work best with your car setup. Im guessing there's been a temperature drop in NY too? Colder temps, cars take longer to warm up and shorter trips are more tempting in bad weather. Just my thoughts :)

B3NN3TT 11-07-2014 10:20 AM

Your driving style has the most to do with it.

You are driving almost entirely in the city, which will put you on the low end of the spectrum regardless. If you are liberal with the throttle from stops, that will eat away at it even further.

As mentioned, fuel economy is poor up until the thermostat opens and the engine reaches normal operating temperature. My commute to work was 6 miles one way, and my Saturn SL1 never reached NOT on the drive. So a 40+ MPG car was giving me about 27 MPG for that reason.

All-wheel-drive is costing you fuel economy, too.

If you're looking for fuel economy in city driving, you're best served with a hybrid that can operate in electrical mode when you're in stop-and-go traffic. It's where hybrids excel, and where gasoline engines hurt the most.

lenka12 11-12-2014 06:02 AM

When I looked for all Rouges 2014 on this site, mostly got around 22-23 MPG.
May be something wrong with car and need service?

B3NN3TT 11-12-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenka12 (Post 180349)

Doubtful. Emissions controls these days are so stringent and sensitive, your Service Engine light would be lit on the dashboard LONG before there was actually any real problem with the vehicle.

Check your tire pressure, maybe?

lenka12 11-12-2014 07:50 AM

Tire pressure is good (normal). No warnings! The temperature is NYC now about 40-60F.
Again, I got this car in August, 2014. I have about 1,700 miles now. And full tank last only for 210-220 miles(capacity 14 gallons)

Draigflag 11-12-2014 08:16 AM

If you drive 100% in the city, why the need for such a big engine? If I drove in the city all the time, I would probably buy somthing no bigger than 1.0 litre in engine size.

lenka12 11-12-2014 08:26 AM

That is good point. But, in summer time every weekend we are going for some long trips,
outside the city.

Draigflag 11-12-2014 10:24 AM

Sure, but engines are becoming smaller and more powerful, large engines are becoming less and less popular. In Europe, some larger cars now have 0.9 litre engines, ideal for the city, but equaly at home on the highway as they can still do over 100 MPH and of course economy is up to 76 MPG too.

But back on topic, im sure after a while your economy will start to improve. Perhaps the only short term way to improve it is to try and use the car less for short trips. I can imagine traffic is pretty bad, average speed per journey is probably close to walking speed so you could be healthier and richer to travel by foot for short trips :)

hp79 11-12-2014 01:52 PM

Try measuring your fuel economy during a longer trip if you have a dash mpg function. I think it's normal and it's just that you are driving in high traffic area. My CX-5 now has 9000 miles, and I don't really see the mpg increasing, so I wouldn't expect any improvment unless you start driving more hwys.

LouSiffer 11-14-2014 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 180356)
Sure, but engines are becoming smaller and more powerful, large engines are becoming less and less popular. In Europe, some larger cars now have 0.9 litre engines, ideal for the city, but equaly at home on the highway as they can still do over 100 MPH and of course economy is up to 76 MPG too.

The only 1.0 L car in the US market is the smart fortwo. They haven't felt the big pinch of high gas prices like the European or Canadian markets so their cars are still a little on the "larger" side. Even here in Canada with our high prices people still tend to gravitate towards those horrible minivans, SUV's and F-150's....of course, I can't really say much - I have a 3.3L V6 :)

B3NN3TT 11-14-2014 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouSiffer (Post 180375)
The only 1.0 L car in the US market is the smart fortwo.

Ford offers a 1.0 3-cylinder Fiesta.

Draigflag 11-14-2014 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B3NN3TT (Post 180376)
Ford offers a 1.0 3-cylinder Fiesta.

Yea the ECO BOOST, great engine and good for 150 BHP. We get it in the Focus here too. Anyone following the World Rally will see the Fiesta M-Sports, 1.6 litre ECO BOOST with 300 BHP! Hoping to catch them in action this weekend as the rally is here in Wales for the final stages.

JanGeo 11-19-2014 06:17 AM

Your engine is not broken in yet, city driving is just a few miles at a time typically the first mile is less than 10mpg for most cars. Tire pressure monitors are not going to indicate slightly low pressure and your rogue calls for 36-38 psi if I remember from a friend who just got another one after getting her 6 year old one totaled. She gets over 25mpg close to 30mpg I think ... Better than her old one that averaged 25 or less the way she drives it. I got 36mpg driving it smart. Both had/have AWD CVT. Get it out on the highway for a trip at normal not 70mph speeds and see what a trip yields ... Fill it, drive it, fill it again, then see ... Maybe your gas is leaking out when parked (parking attendant)?

lenka12 11-19-2014 07:11 AM

I don't see that my gas is leaking. I also got Infinity G35, I got about 15-17 MPG in the same city, same driving condition!! I think I should go to service to check why my MPG so low in city.

JanGeo 11-19-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenka12 (Post 180421)
I don't see that my gas is leaking. I also got Infinity G35, I got about 15-17 MPG in the same city, same driving condition!! I think I should go to service to check why my MPG so low in city.

Ahem I mean maybe someone that parks your car is stealing the gas from your tank?
Do you warm the car up before you drive it? That burns a lot of gas without going anywhere and will substantially lower your mileage.

One thing about the CVT to get great mileage you have to press lightly on the gas pedal so that the engine RPMs stay low as you accelerate. If you can keep the RPM below 1500 you should do well. I try to keep it at 1000 when I drove my friends and it was at that RPM for up to 40 mph.

motox155 12-03-2014 12:36 PM

We own a 2010 Rouge with the same features you have (awd etc.). On hwy trips we average 22-24 mpg. Around town with my wife driving (lead foot) it gets about 16-17 mpg

itripper 12-03-2014 10:50 PM

Using a branded gas, such as Chevron or Shell can make a difference, or find a gas without ethanol added is best. Has all your gasoline been from one gas station? Your mileage is bad for this model of car, I looked all over the net only found one other with mileage this bad, and he was still searching for answers too. In his case he switched from an AWD model to a FWD model in the hopes of better economy, but the FWD model was giving him 12 mpg! I would have the dealer look at it, and if it comes out clean but you continue to get bad mileage you may consider selling it, maybe get a mid size hybrid.

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/319192.png

Draigflag 12-05-2014 03:45 AM

Just a thought, does your car warm up fully before you hit the traffic? If you were to drive a few miles at a steady speed before hitting the traffic, and your oil and water were at the proper temperature, then your economy would improve imensely. Also, if your car has a stop/start system, then your engine will turn off more often when its at temperature. Mine wont turn off automatically unless its fully warmed up.

Jcp385 12-06-2014 03:20 PM

NYC probably explains it all. That's a horrifically bad place for MPG.

lenka12 12-09-2014 06:07 AM

Update.
Finally I did appointment today to local Nissan Service, but they refuse to take the car.
They told me, that is nothing we can do. They can’t diagnose the problem. But they understand that MPG I getting very low for this car. They told me to call to NISSAN and explain the problem.

Draigflag 12-09-2014 08:34 AM

Not very helpful of them. Have you had a chance to try any of the techniques mentioned above?

lenka12 12-09-2014 08:52 AM

I still did not tried the car for long trip. Mostly City. I used gas - CITGO.
Next time I will switch for different brand. I think my driving technic is normal.
And again, I have Infinity G35 (6cyl) with the same driving condition in a city i got pretty much the same MPG, which I got with Rouge.

aelfwyne 01-10-2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenka12 (Post 180349)
When I looked for all Rouges 2014 on this site, mostly got around 22-23 MPG.

Keep in mind that in 2014, there were really TWO models Nissan called Rogue. The 2014 Rogue was different from the 2014 Rogue Select. Do you have the Select? If so, it has worse mileage as it's the older design.

lenka12 01-11-2015 07:19 AM

No , I don't have Select.

evilspoons 01-14-2015 09:23 AM

I'd go take the car on a bit of a highway road trip and see how the economy stabilizes.

Don't speed. Smoothly roll on the throttle and smooth on the brakes, leave a following space in front of you to avoid jabbing the brakes all the time. Put the CVT in the "auto" mode (don't use "manual shift" if it has it, it's stupid on a CVT).

Since you have AWD it is the heavier one, keep in mind you are moving a 3600 lb hunk of metal around. Stop-and-go is terrible for it economy-wise. Boring, smooth driving is the key.

As for someone's suggestion of selling the car... I have a Subaru STi that only gets 18 MPG highway, $3600 in fuel in 24,000 km (15,000 miles). I'd take FAR more of a hit than that in depreciation getting rid of the car. Sometimes you just have to put up with bad economy.

Maybe pay attention to the automotive blogs talking about your car as well - they might issue a recall or software update to adjust engine computer or transmission behaviour at some later date to improve stuff.

nissanb14 01-19-2015 11:07 AM

I saw a 6mpg increase in mpg when driving on highway then just city. Plus your driving in NY so 15mpg is ok!!

0-40mph and stop and go traffic, 15-18MPG at best!!

talljerry 04-23-2015 04:32 PM

I had a NISSAN Rouge loner car that was geting 22 mpg and I just hated driving that car becouse the car steering wheel was so sensitive with no feel so you may end up in a accident fast,I was happy when got my 02 nissan frontier back.