Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Smaller Injectors (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/smaller-injectors-1710.html)

rh77 02-12-2006 01:44 PM

Smaller Injectors

So I was removing the wiring to the failed cylinder decativation experiment (State Inspection coming up -- needs to look clean under there). Then I came to a realization driving today. Would smaller injectors increase fuel economy?

Go-fast mods have always been, "Bigger throttle body, fuel pump, rail, and bigger injectors". There has to be smaller injectors available for my car, since Honda tends to keep things uniform, but varies some details of course between engines. Haven't researched it, but had some thoughts...

Would a smaller cc rate of fuel injection through smaller injectors yield less fuel consumption? OR, would the ECU figure it out somehow and rich it out since less fuel = less oxygen = needing more fuel in the loop. If so, I should probably find out what size I have, and what size is compatible. Any thoughts???

RH77

SVOboy 02-12-2006 01:59 PM

If you just threw 190cc (vx

If you just threw 190cc (vx injectors, smallest that'll fit in exchange for your 240s) injectors in then you'd be running about 20% lean.

The ecu works by holding the injectors open a certain time per go around assuming certain things about fuel pressure and injector size. So same FP but smaller injectors = less fuel injected.

Not a good idea, :p

If you go obd1 and chip the ecu for 190cc injectors then it should make no difference.

rh77 02-12-2006 03:38 PM

Fooey, Brainstorming Nowhere

Darnit. I'm stuck with this 145-hp automatic. I can live with it being around 100-110bhp, but I just don't know what to do other than major engine and ECU mods to reduce the power. I gets it's just too new.

RH77

Compaq888 02-12-2006 03:47 PM

Be careful with injectors.

Be careful with injectors. If the injectors are smaller it can bump up your timing.

I'd gladly have a 145hp automatic. In fact if I had an integra I'd convert it to manual and use my altima as a Daily driver while the Acura is down.

SVOboy 02-12-2006 03:55 PM

How would smaller injectors

How would smaller injectors do anything to timing?

RH77 - you could always get a b16 block and stick the ls head on there, :p, people would love to trade you.

JanGeo 02-12-2006 04:03 PM

bigger engine

You need to run the bigger motor at a lower rpm and get the combustion thermal efficiency higher. Smaller injectors may allow for more accurate metering because they would have to be open longer thus operating over a wider range and better vaporization maybe with higher fuel pressure to offset the smaller fuel flow.

SVOboy 02-12-2006 04:04 PM

Let's also not forget that

Let's also not forget that your total cost to run the injectors properly would be like 200 bucks, :p

rh77 02-12-2006 04:41 PM

Yeah, I know...

Is that called a "mini-me" swap -- I think a friend mentioned it once. That would essentially make an Integra Type-R engine if the pistons, rods, and crank were beefed up, take the B18 block and put a VTEC head on it - right? Hmmm. Very valuable indeed. I may want to go even lower in hp, like D-series.

All dreams -- it won't happen, sorry. I hear the LS engine can really be modded (much to my surprise, because when I first drove the car, it seemed like a dog -- but that was the automatic - and I was used to the B16A2 at the time). How about a D15Z1? That would definitely not get me anywhere fast with the auto, but efficiently nonetheless. I think the car has like 5 more years left on the engine, so it's not cost-conscience to replace it. I need a project car...

I hearby initiate a new thread: See Project Honda/Acura for $2000.

RH77

SVOboy 02-12-2006 04:47 PM

Re: Yeah, I know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
Is that called a "mini-me" swap -- I think a friend mentioned it once. That would essentially make an Integra Type-R engine if the pistons, rods, and crank were beefed up, take the B18 block and put a VTEC head on it - right? Hmmm. Very valuable indeed. I may want to go even lower in hp, like D-series.

All dreams -- it won't happen, sorry. I hear the LS engine can really be modded (much to my surprise, because when I first drove the car, it seemed like a dog -- but that was the automatic - and I was used to the B16A2 at the time). How about a D15Z1? That would definitely not get me anywhere fast with the auto, but efficiently nonetheless. I think the car has like 5 more years left on the engine, so it's not cost-conscience to replace it. I need a project car...

RH77

Your engine is really as weak as possible, and d series is not possible.

Anyway, the b16 block and b18 wouldn't be mini-me cuz you'd stay non vtec, and the person with the b18 block and b16 head would now have LS/VTEC, :p

GasSavers_DaX 02-13-2006 10:22 AM

Re: Yeah, I know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77

RH77

I've seen Integras with SOHC Civic swaps...totally possible.