Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Tire swap (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/tire-swap-1717.html)

Sludgy 02-16-2006 06:59 AM

Tire swap

My F350 has 265-75R16E BFGoodrich all-season tires with about 35,000 miles on them. They will need to be replaced soon.

I want to get better mileage. I'm considering switching to 235-85R16D that are (about) the same diameter but not as wide. This should reduce wind resistance. I'm also considering replacement of the steel wheels with forged aluminum, lightweight wheels.

I've heard that Michelin tires have the lowest rolling resistance. Are they better than BFG's? Can anybody tell me their mileage before and after tire and wheel swaps? Are the aluminum wheels worth it?

krousdb 02-16-2006 08:08 AM

Re: Tire swap

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy
My F350 has 265-75R16E BFGoodrich all-season tires with about 35,000 miles on them. They will need to be replaced soon.

I want to get better mileage. I'm considering switching to 235-85R16D that are (about) the same diameter but not as wide. This should reduce wind resistance.

The wind resistance is related to frontal area. The F-350 has a huge frontal area compared to the decreased area of the tire. Probably not a measureable improvement. The contact patch with the ground would be reduced, lowering rolling resistance, but probably not measureable on such a large, heavy truck.

Quote:

I'm also considering replacement of the steel wheels with forged aluminum, lightweight wheels.

Again, it is such a heavy truck that the weight difference will not be significant.

Quote:

I've heard that Michelin tires have the lowest rolling resistance. Are they better than BFG's? Can anybody tell me their mileage before and after tire and wheel swaps? Are the aluminum wheels worth it?

Michelin car tires such as the Michelin X and the Harmony had the lowest rolling resistance of all tires in a recent Consumer Reports test. But those tires are built for comfort and low noise. Truck tires may be built to some other requirements that truck drivers feel are more important. So I wouldn't necessarily say that LRR translates to truck tires.

Although I have never personally owned a truck nor have I any test results to prove this, but I don't think aluminum wheels will ever pay for themselves by increasing MPG due to less weight. There is a potential to increase MPG by switching tires but to do so you would have to look for a less aggressive tread, possibly a 16" car tire instead of a LT tire. Even so, you won't notice and benefit at speeds above 40. At lower speeds, you might be able to get a statistically significant test result.

Just my opinion, no hard data to back it up. :-)

rh77 02-17-2006 03:21 AM

Sweet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
Michelin car tires such as the Michelin X and the Harmony had the lowest rolling resistance of all tires in a recent Consumer Reports test. But those tires are built for comfort and low noise.

Sweet! We've been looking all over for recent tests of tires' rolling resistance (since it's not a required industry test). How new is the CR test?

RH77

rh77 02-17-2006 03:39 AM

Sweet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
Michelin car tires such as the Michelin X and the Harmony had the lowest rolling resistance of all tires in a recent Consumer Reports test. But those tires are built for comfort and low noise.

Sweet! We've been looking all over for recent tests of tires' rolling resistance (since it's not a required industry test). Awesome -- I pulled up the data (you have to be a web member to get access -- luckily I am). I'll see about the site's policies and post some info...

RH77

rh77 02-17-2006 04:11 AM

OK -- their policy

OK CR's policy is that reprinting data is OK as long as it's "noncommercial, educational purposes only", so I think we're cool here.

The tires tested with the "Excellent" rolling resistance rating in the "all-season" category, in order of best overall rating of other factors combined, with 80% as the top tested :

1. Michelin X Radial DT (only available to shopping club members, i.e. Costco, Sam's Club, etc.). Rating: 79%.

2. Michelin Agility Touring (Sold only at Sears). Rating: 62%.

3. Michelin Harmony. Rating: 61%.

4. Hankook Mileage Plus GT H707. Rating: 58%.

5. Kumho Touring 795 A/S. Rating: 57%.

6. Toyo 800 Ultra. Rating: 51%.

7. Sumitomo HTR T4. Rating: 44%

All models can be researched at TireRack.com or similar sites to get a feel for performance. It's the motherlode! Let me know if other information is required, and I'll post it. Now I can buy new tires, finally...

RH77

Compaq888 02-17-2006 07:03 AM

No offense but Michelin is

No offense but Michelin is really expensive. It would cost me $450 to get a set of 4. I bought my Kumho's for $279 installed and just inflated them and that's it.

GasSavers_DaX 02-17-2006 07:17 AM

Re: OK -- their policy

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
OK CR's policy is that reprinting data is OK as long as it's "noncommercial, educational purposes only", so I think we're cool here.

The tires tested with the "Excellent" rolling resistance rating in the "all-season" category, in order of best overall rating of other factors combined, with 80% as the top tested :

1. Michelin X Radial DT (only available to shopping club members, i.e. Costco, Sam's Club, etc.). Rating: 79%.

2. Michelin Agility Touring (Sold only at Sears). Rating: 62%.

3. Michelin Harmony. Rating: 61%.

4. Hankook Mileage Plus GT H707. Rating: 58%.

5. Kumho Touring 795 A/S. Rating: 57%.

6. Toyo 800 Ultra. Rating: 51%.

7. Sumitomo HTR T4. Rating: 44%

All models can be researched at TireRack.com or similar sites to get a feel for performance. It's the motherlode! Let me know if other information is required, and I'll post it. Now I can buy new tires, finally...

RH77

I've had my mind on a set of Michelin Harmony's for a while [either those or the Michelin HydroEdge]...never knew they were rated good for LRR. All the more reason to get some!

krousdb 02-17-2006 07:21 AM

Re: No offense but Michelin is

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
No offense but Michelin is really expensive. It would cost me $450 to get a set of 4. I bought my Kumho's for $279 installed and just inflated them and that's it.

I went for the Kumho's also because I loved the ride, performance and mileage on my Outback. I got the tires installed on aluminum wheels, mounted and balanced and shipped to my door for $505. See my garage to see what the tires and wheels look like.

SVOboy 02-17-2006 07:24 AM

How much do the rims weigh

How much do the rims weigh by themselves? What size?

krousdb 02-17-2006 07:25 AM

Re: OK -- their policy

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
I've had my mind on a set of Michelin Harmony's for a while [either those or the Michelin HydroEdge]...never knew they were rated good for LRR. All the more reason to get some!

Harmony, yes. Hydroedge, maybe not. Some Prius drivers have taken a significant hit by switching to hydroedge from integrity. The new Nokians have also proven to provide good mileage, although they are hard to find and can be expensive.