Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   98 civic sedan coefficient of drag? where to find? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/98-civic-sedan-coefficient-of-drag-where-to-find-1722.html)

SVOboy 02-21-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:Dude, pay some respect

Quote:

Dude, pay some respect for some peoples' cars on here -- there happen to be some owners of that model on here.

RH77
Hehe, I'm just kidding. I personally love the look of the del sol except for the front end, I just like to poke fun at it, I'll edit it though to be more clear.

MetroMPG 02-21-2006 03:59 PM

about the del sol... i

about the del sol... i wouldn't be surprised if that Cd is right.

the car's rear window design is a killer. airflow separates at the trailing edge of the roof, and likely doesn't re-attach by the end of the rear deck because it's fairly short. so you've got a relatively large trailing wake as a result.

to the wind it looks like a mini short-bed pickup truck with a tonneau cover. a "del camino"?

the "buttresses" on each side of the back window probably help to some extent (helping contain a bubble of air that the over-roof airflow can ride over without going instantly turbulent).

but if i were the betting type, i'd say the del sol is a particularly good candidate for aero mods in that area that would have a measurable impact on hwy mpg.

Matt Timion 02-21-2006 04:40 PM

Re: about the del sol... i

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
to the wind it looks like a mini short-bed pickup truck with a tonneau cover. a "del camino"?

but if i were the betting type, i'd say the del sol is a particularly good candidate for aero mods in that area that would have a measurable impact on hwy mpg.

"DEL CAMINO"... LOL

I think you're right about it having lots of room for improvement. Few realize that the Del Sol was introduced into the market because it's predecessor started making insurance rates climb. It's predecessor of course, was the CRX.

In some other markets the Del Sol is called the CRX, as their insurance companies havn't attacked the favorite car of teenagers and drag racers.

Considering it's lineage, the Del Sol is capable of a lot in terns of aerodynamic modifications. Smoothing out the rear, or removing the "Camino" from it's design would most likely bring it down to around .30 (give or take).

SVOboy 02-21-2006 04:43 PM

If you wanna get technical

If you wanna get technical the Honda Civic Coupe CRX became the Honda CRX del Sol in 1992, or at least I think those are the formal names, but the del sol is technically a crx del sol but we rexers don't like to admit it, :p

(all in good fun)

krousdb 02-22-2006 01:26 AM

Quote:

about the del sol... i wouldn't be surprised if that Cd is right.

the car's rear window design is a killer. airflow separates at the trailing edge of the roof, and likely doesn't re-attach by the end of the rear deck because it's fairly short. so you've got a relatively large trailing wake as a result.

the "buttresses" on each side of the back window probably help to some extent (helping contain a bubble of air that the over-roof airflow can ride over without going instantly turbulent).

Although I don't have it from an official source, the 0.378 was somewhat confirmed, for the same reasons listed above, at Sol Society, a website for Del Caminoers.

It's a good thing that I don't drive on the highway much.

So how do I get rid of the invisible parachute that I am dragging along with me? I'm also wondering about the spoiler on the Si model. Does that help or hurt? Possibly the 0.378 is for the Si and it is different for the S? Will lowering the car help?

GasSavers_DaX 02-22-2006 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:

"DEL CAMINO"... LOL

I think you're right about it having lots of room for improvement. Few realize that the Del Sol was introduced into the market because it's predecessor started making insurance rates climb. It's predecessor of course, was the CRX.

In some other markets the Del Sol is called the CRX, as their insurance companies havn't attacked the favorite car of teenagers and drag racers.

Considering it's lineage, the Del Sol is capable of a lot in terns of aerodynamic modifications. Smoothing out the rear, or removing the "Camino" from it's design would most likely bring it down to around .30 (give or take).

Ditto on the LOL.

I've heard rumors before that the Del Sol was originally designed to be mid-rear, then at the last minute they decided to make it FWD. I mean, look at how ungodly gigantic the trunk is on the Del Sol...I could definately see an engine going back there from the factory...and yes, I have seen the guys that make these cars mid-rear. Anyone else besides me think that the Del Sol ripped a little bit of styling from the Porsche 914?

SVOboy 02-22-2006 06:45 AM

Quote:I'm also wondering

Quote:

I'm also wondering about the spoiler on the Si model. Does that help or hurt?
Hurts, :p

Quote:

Will lowering the car help?
A tiny tiny bit.

I think what you need to do is cover the back with some sort of fiberglass pod with a clear window to it.

MetroMPG 02-22-2006 07:08 AM

Re: Quote:I'm also wondering

Quote:

I'm also wondering about the spoiler on the Si model. Does that help or hurt?
on this particular design, it probably has no effect, unless it's high enough or extends back enough to permit the flow to reattach on it. spoilers work best when they can interact with non-turbulent flow, regardless of whether their intent is for downforce (high angle of attack, worse Cd) or streamlining (no attack, improved Cd). i'd guess that the end of the deck is turbulent.

easy way to test what the air is doing back there: tape pieces of ribbon or wool in various positions including close to the end of the deck (so the end of each string reaches the lip) and go for a drive. if they're all streaming smoothly back, it means they're in laminar flow. if they're dancing around in all directions, they're in turbulence. aka "tuft testing".

Quote:

I think what you need to do is cover the back with some sort of fiberglass pod with a clear window to it.
that's the ticket! a del camino aero cap -

https://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_15...YUM_DBJBlBWWG8

and i agree dax, it completely looks like it was meant to have a mid engine.

krousdb 02-22-2006 04:11 PM

Re: Quote:I'm also wondering

Quote:

Quote:

that's the ticket! a del camino aero cap -

https://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_15...YUM_DBJBlBWWG8

and i agree dax, it completely looks like it was meant to have a mid engine.

OK aero gurus. I wanna reduce drag, but I don't want to change the look of the car. At least not something as obvious as a del camino cap. I guess that leaves the front spoiler, maybe flexible baseboard stuff ala SVOboy's suggestion, or underbody cover ala compaq888, or rear bumper venting, ala I don't remember who. Which would have the greatest impact? Would all three create synergies that one or two would not?

SVOboy 02-22-2006 04:17 PM

Synergies I'd say, I'd try

Synergies I'd say, :p

I'd try to see if you could fit a civic vx rear diffuser on the del sol if I were you, :)