Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Just arrived (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/just-arrived-17748.html)

sealiedog 05-07-2015 08:13 AM

Just arrived

Hello Folks,

I've just joined with my new Outlander PHEV. I'm hoping to see some good mileage with the car, but not especially this week as I'm going away for a few days with not much chance of plugging in. At least I'll have some idea of how it does on all petrol miles.

Draigflag 05-08-2015 09:27 AM

Hi welcome, will look forward to seeing your economy. Coincidentally someone joined a few days ago with the same car. I'm a little sceptical about plug ins ;)

sealiedog 05-08-2015 10:31 AM

Thanks Draigflag,

I've done 350 miles today, almost all on petrol. I got about 39 mpg I think. It's a 2 ton car and it was almost all motorway speeds so not too bad in my view. I came from a Hyundai Santa fe 2.2 diesel which could do about the same on a motorway.

But now I'm semi retired that kind of trip is rare for me. The previous 400 miles consisted of trips between 5 and 30 miles almost all on electric mode. I charge up on Economy 7 electricity and it works out at just under 3 pence a mile. That's the type of use this car is built for. If you do a lot of long distance you don't want one, unless its a company car because the tax is very low. There's no road tax either, and no city congestion charge.
I've only had it 6 weeks, so far so good!

Draigflag 05-08-2015 11:11 AM

Yea we've been discussing the fuel figures for plug ins. They are already grossly exsadurated for any car, but with plug ins, they do the same lab tests as a regular car but with a full battery charge. I'm guessing most of the test is done on electricity. It's a shame, as the 148 MPG they quote is probably out of reach for most people.

sealiedog 05-08-2015 12:19 PM

To be fair, in the last month before today I've used almost no petrol to do 400 miles. I reckon about 18 quid in electricity and petrol. That's about equilavent to 100 mpg at today's prices. So I'm winning even if I add in this weekend where I will do about 800 miles at 40 mpg ish. If I work it out correctly that gives me about 50 mpg. And then I will be back to mostly trips that will give me 100 mpg again until I go on holiday in the car.

Some people get more mpg than that, but its obviously going to depend on doing mostly short trips.

Draigflag 05-08-2015 11:57 PM

So what made you pay the extra for the Hybrid then? Are there any additional Monthly rental charges for the battery? I was looking at the diesel version, it's pretty economical for a large car rated at between 44 and 61 MPG, I just hope the Hybrid is worth the extra money.

sealiedog 05-09-2015 01:14 PM

You get a 5000 grant from the government so its roughly the same price as the equivalent diesel model. There's also a grant for a dedicated high power charger installed at home.

The battery comes with it, no charges and its guaranteed for 5 years.

I have to say part of the attraction is the technology toys that come with it too! In some ways I miss the grunt of my old Santa Fe, but its nippy enough and pretty good to drive.