Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Running Gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Automatic Discussion Area (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/automatic-discussion-area-1787.html)

rh77 03-13-2006 09:50 PM

Automatic Discussion Area

I know I speak for the minority here, but quite a bit of discussion relates to folks who have manual transmissions, and couldn't apply to those of us with slush-boxes. Just a rough guess, maybe 10% of members have the auto-trans.

Just an idea, but is there any interest for an automatics-only discussion area? As much as I'd like to be driving a manual, I'm stuck with what I have - and still looking to improve economy. If not, maybe this thread could be a place to talk about it.

Any thoughts.

RH77

PS - If anyone suggests a manual swap, a dope-slap awaits.

Matt Timion 03-13-2006 10:10 PM

Re: Automatic Discussion Area

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
I know I speak for the minority here, but quite a bit of discussion relates to folks who have manual transmissions, and couldn't apply to those of us with slush-boxes. Just a rough guess, maybe 10% of members have the auto-trans.

Just an idea, but is there any interest for an automatics-only discussion area? As much as I'd like to be driving a manual, I'm stuck with what I have - and still looking to improve economy. If not, maybe this thread could be a place to talk about it.

Any thoughts.

RH77

PS - If anyone suggests a manual swap, a dope-slap awaits.

Great idea. I was considering adding a Diesel section, a micro-car section, and now an automatic section. One way I think this site will grow is if the forums become a little more specialized. Having a "General Fuel Economy Discussion" area is good, but if it's too general it will scare people away.

So give more ideas for more area specific forums and I'll get to it.

philmcneal 03-14-2006 12:41 AM

yes automatic tranmissions

yes automatic tranmissions have a mind of their own. Toyota's ECT, Honda's Grade Logic Control, GM 4 speed autos and many others have a mind of their own. I think an automatic forum is an excellent idea to expand the use of what they have.

Compaq888 03-14-2006 06:54 AM

Good idea. I believe the

Good idea.

I believe the only good place where autos are good are for freeways. We are starting to get into the .5xx gearing for the last gear. Before it was high .6xx

Also since the CVT are going to appear on more cars it will be better for fuel economy and accelaration. Nissan is going to be putting CVT in all of their automatics and Toyota will be developing 7 and 8 speed automatics. I think this is great. With more speeds you can achieve better accelaration and better fuel economy. The downside of that is you'll lose more power because you got way more components that use up friction. The thing with CVT is that the technology is new and some manufacturers don't have it down yet.

SVOboy 03-14-2006 08:31 AM

Hmm, automatic forum, I'll

Hmm, automatic forum, I'll have to go and get my **** converted, I just looked at my new tranny last night, it's pretty, :)

krousdb 03-14-2006 11:09 AM

Re: Hmm, automatic forum, I'll

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Hmm, automatic forum, I'll have to go and get my **** converted, I just looked at my new tranny last night, it's pretty, :)

Not as pretty as the VX wheels i'll bet. Probably a lot heavier too! :)

SVOboy 03-14-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:Not as pretty as the

Quote:

Not as pretty as the VX wheels i'll bet. Probably a lot heavier too! Smiling
I dunno, much more fun than the wheels at least. Indeed, it is heavier, but word on the street is that it's about 50 pounds less than the auto, and I believe it, :)

diamondlarry 03-14-2006 01:13 PM

I think an auto section is a

I think an auto section is a good idea also. Since I do own one vehicle that has one('92 Gran Prix) it could be helpful.

Sludgy 03-16-2006 06:32 AM

Automatic tuner

There are lots of "chips" and "tuners" on the market to tune diesels. Most are for getting more power, which is something I don't want or need. Some also claim to tune the transmission shift points.

I'd like to tune my automatic tranny to go into top gear and lock the torque converter at about 1400 rpm. Anybody know of a chip or tuner than can change shift points without touching the engine calibrations?

rh77 03-16-2006 06:50 AM

Auto Repair TV Show

I remember seeing on one of those auto repair TV shows about a year ago where they re-tuned a gas Chevy Siverado after they put a new exhaust on it. They used this device that re-programmed a variety of things, including shift points. What is was, I can't recall, but I think when you buy the device it's a package deal with engine tuning and transmission programming. I'd have to do a search to verify if a transmission-only reprogrammer is out there for Fords.

I used to drive an E-350 Diesel for work (ambulance) which was right when the power-stroke came out, so we ended up with a bunch of the non-turbo dogs. I remember the TC engaging in 2nd gear, and then overdrive would kick in later-on. Man were they slow. Our local volunteer fire dept. bought a new E-550 with the power stroke (it was great to have the extra power), but I forget the shift points on the TC -- is it up around overdrive?

RH77