Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Experimenting with a new route to work (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/experimenting-with-a-new-route-to-work-1788.html)

krousdb 03-14-2006 06:50 AM

Experimenting with a new route to work

I tried a new route to work today. Actually it's not completely new, just the last half. It enables me to eliminate the long uphill climb at highway speeds with a shorter, albiet much steeper uphill climb at 25-35 MPH speeds. The trip took about 5 minutes longer (60 minutes vs 55) and ends up being about 1/2 mile shorter. My FE was 59.03 at 34F with 16 MPH westerly winds which puts me head on into the wind for about 1/4 of the trip. My previous best of 60.41 was on 3/6 on my regular route but in that case it was 10F warmer and I had a 9 MPH tailwind. I used 1.580L of fuel. Interestingly enough, todays shorter route at 59.03 MPG took 1.585L.

So this route has possibilities. I did make a few mistakes which probably cost me one or two MPG's. I underestimated the steepness of the really steep incline and took it in 3rd gear. I lugged the engine pretty good until I shifted into second at about 17 MPH. The second mistake was that I missed the exit that I intended to take so I had to go downhill ICE on then back up again. Had I taken the intended route the distance would have been slightly longer, not shorter. I guess I will try it again tomorrow and try to eliminate my mistakes. Unfortunately the headwind will be worse tomorrow, 21 MPH.

SVOboy 03-14-2006 08:27 AM

Well, to me it sounds like

Well, to me it sounds like an improvement. Nothing like a longer drive to calm the nerves anyway. I wish I had 1 hour each way, I'd be such a happy person, :p

Anyway, when you missed your exit did you have to stop and u turn?

krousdb 03-14-2006 11:07 AM

Re: Well, to me it sounds like

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Well, to me it sounds like an improvement. Nothing like a longer drive to calm the nerves anyway. I wish I had 1 hour each way, I'd be such a happy person, :p

The new route is only for the drive to work. I will stick with the existing route home.

The current 55 minute commute each way is very relaxing. Everyone should just slow down IMO. It just sounds crazy to me that people rush to work. You would think it would be the other way around. The real problem is that people leave too late so they have to hurry to make it on time. I just don't understand why they just don't leave earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Anyway, when you missed your exit did you have to stop and u turn?

No U turn. I just used an alternate route to the alternate route. I have studied the maps thoroughly. :)

SVOboy 03-14-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:The real problem is

Quote:

The real problem is that people leave too late so they have to hurry to make it on time. I just don't understand why they just don't leave earlier.
Yeah, I get to school 1:10 early, so if I'm late I am always able to still be lazy about it and I'm always at least 30 early, even when I have to drop my mom off at school because my car ain't running.

Quote:

No U turn. I just used an alternate route to the alternate route. I have studied the maps thoroughly. Smiling
I do this often, but I don't really know where I'm going, I just have a shadow of a remembrance of driving somewhere when I was younger, and I tend to get lucky.

krousdb 03-18-2006 04:33 AM

I had a chance to try the

I had a chance to try the route again, without the missed exit. Turns out it is 1/2 mile longer with the same FE. So it actually takes more time and more gas to get to work. Back to the original route.

SVOboy 03-18-2006 08:58 AM

Knowledge is power, or

Knowledge is power, or something like that, :p