Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   What's your longest EOC distance? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/whats-your-longest-eoc-distance-18312.html)

ChewChewTrain 12-24-2015 07:26 AM

What's your longest EOC distance?

I haven't measured it yet, but my folks live atop a big hill and I can coast a mighty long ways.

Shall we allow two classifications?

1) Pure EOC
2) An EOC trip, but running your engine for no more than 30 seconds over the entire distance.

What's your best EOC distance?

Doug in Oakland :)

Draigflag 12-24-2015 08:08 AM

Sorry, what's EOC? Had a few Xmas beverages, brain not in full working condition lol.

ChewChewTrain 12-24-2015 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 186556)
Sorry, what's EOC? Had a few Xmas beverages, brain not in full working condition lol.

hahaha "Engine Off Coasting", Draigflag.

Happy holidays to you, by the way!
Doug
Oakland, California

Draigflag 12-24-2015 08:34 AM

Ah ok. I don't do that, can't in my car anyway, no matter how many times I press the engine start/stop button. Driver aids such as brake servo, power assisted steering, advanced braking systems, electronic stability programs and the like don't work properly so I wouldn't recommend it.

Happy Christmas to you too.

ChewChewTrain 12-24-2015 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 186558)
Ah ok. I don't do that, can't in my car anyway, no matter how many times I press the engine start/stop button. Driver aids such as brake servo, power assisted steering, advanced braking systems, electronic stability programs and the like don't work properly so I wouldn't recommend it.

Happy Christmas to you too.

Yes. Your car is TOO new.

My '89 Civic is 27 years old. It's first of the Civic models to have electronic fuel injection. That's the ONLY modern thing on the car. No airbags. Manual roll up/down windows. Delightfully bare bones with electronic fuel injection providing terrific reliability.

Draigflag 12-24-2015 09:36 AM

There's something appealing about old cars and thier back to basic nature, Ive enjoyed the old skool drive and how easy it is to work on older cars, however saftey is very important to me now, and as safe a driver as you might be, it only takes one idiot to ruin, or end your life. Anyway, let's not get too deep on Xmas eve!

ChewChewTrain 12-24-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 186560)
There's something appealing about old cars and thier back to basic nature, Ive enjoyed the old skool drive and how easy it is to work on older cars, however saftey is very important to me now, and as safe a driver as you might be, it only takes one idiot to ruin, or end your life. Anyway, let's not get too deep on Xmas eve!

Old car? No air bags? Simple. I just drive with a pillow on my lap. Problem solved!

ChewChewTrain 01-10-2016 08:58 AM

My longest EOC...

...is 1.2 miles.

If I'm allowed less than 10 seconds of engine time, I can travel a total of 2.1 miles.

(sorry DraigFlag. i too lazy to convert to km) :)

Draigflag 01-10-2016 01:08 PM

We use miles here in the UK. You see there is a stretch of road here, a very steep hill, which then leads into another steep hill. As a kid, my Dad used to put the car in neutral and coast down both using gravity and was able to travel some 6 miles or so. Would that be possible with engine off?

ChewChewTrain 01-10-2016 01:46 PM

A 6 mile coast? DANG! I'm SO envious.

To the letter of the EOC description the engine should be off. But I don't think anyone would discredit such a long, long coast. :)