Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   2007 Honda CR-V hypermiling results. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/2007-honda-cr-v-hypermiling-results-18336.html)

Shizen__ 01-05-2016 11:08 PM

2007 Honda CR-V hypermiling results.

I've had my CR-V for almost a year now, and it's actually the car that got me into hypermiling because it's the first one to show me an instant read out on my mpg. Now, as I'm sure most of you here know, pretty much all trip computers are not exactly accurate. However, based on my personal hypermiling, I will typically average anywhere between 32-35 mpg in mixed driving. That's in a car that the EPA says should get 27 hwy. I recently drove to NC and back from FL, and got just over 42 mpg by the time I got up to NC. Again, that's 15 mpg over the EPA! Over 600 miles in one tank. My average speed was about 55 mph. At any given time I'll almost never go under 30 mpg, even in city driving. Anyone else have a CR-V or just any compact SUV? If so what do you average?

Draigflag 01-06-2016 04:04 AM

That's pretty good going for a gas SUV, closer to what you'd get from normal driving in the diesel model. Well done. I am warming to the idea of an SUV now for extra space and comfort, modern technology and the use of lightweight materials has allowed SUVs to be just as quick and efficient as a regular car now. I was looking at the new Renault Kadjar which is rated up to 74 UK MPG, although realistically you'd get about 55.

If you click the research vehicle link, you can compare yours to other and filter out the ones that don't match your make/model/year/engine etc.

Shizen__ 01-06-2016 05:12 AM

Thanks, and yeah. Newer suv models like the 2015 CR-V is rated at 34 hwy. It has a cvt so I can't imagine what I'd get with that. lol

Draigflag 01-06-2016 08:54 AM

Some of the newer cvt gearboxes are actually more efficient than a full manual, although I still think a manual is better for economy as you have more control over the revs and gearchanges and more input in driving style overall. Yea I see someone getting 55 MPG on Fuelly in a new CRV, with a personal best of almost 70 MPG. that same engine in the smaller lighter Civic managed almost 100 MPG over an 8000 mile experimental journey not so long ago, some feat of engineering, skill and patience.

benlovesgoddess 01-07-2016 01:44 PM

That's excellent! I guess you're quoting US mpg, so averaging 40-42 UK mpg on gas is on a par with what I was proud of getting in my diesel 2007 CR-V! We do a lot of rural roads and hills, but I do try to maximise the return thanks to the built in Scangauge style readout. Car is completely standard and on snow tyres. Have you made any physical mods to your Honda? Out of interest, what size is the petrol engine? Our diesel is a 2.2 litre through a 6 speed manual gearbox. We don't think the 4 wheel drive system ever gets much use, no snow or ice this winter yet.

Shizen__ 01-08-2016 05:01 AM

Thanks. Yes I'm American. lol It's a 2.4 automatic 5 speed 2 wheel drive engine. I have the back seats taken out, but I also have a large grille guard, rear bumper guard, and roof rails on. So I could probably do a bit better still. And yeah, normal drivers here are always so suprised by my numbers. Haha