Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Probably a Silly idea, but.... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/probably-a-silly-idea-but-1838.html)

krousdb 03-26-2006 12:10 PM

Probably a Silly idea, but....

I have plans to convert my del sol DX into a del sol CX. The EPA estimates for a 93 Civic DX is 34/40/37 and for a 93 Civic CX is 42/46/44. So the potential yield from such a conversion is 7MPG.

I have a CX tranny lined up as well as a CX IM/TB. So after installing those the only difference will be that I have a 16 valve head while the CX has an 8 valve head. So I said to myself, self, whats the easiest way to get a 8V head. And immediately, my self said..... remove 8 rocker arms!:) Obviously, I should select which ones to remove carefully and not remove them at random.:)

Hmmm I said to myself. It would be cheap (free) and easy. But before doing it, i thought i would run it thru a gassavers reality check.

IIRC the reason for a 16 valve head is for better breathing and power at high rpms. But I would rather have more torque at low rpm's which is what I assume the D15B8 has. I realize that since the valves/valve lift on a 16V head are smaller/less than on a 8V head, so removing 8 rocker arms would probably give me less power than the D15B8. But I don't really need that much power so maybe that won't be a problem.

So there is my silly idea. Now please tell me how silly it really is.:)

SVOboy 03-26-2006 12:28 PM

It's silly. If you want I'll

It's silly. If you want I'll give you the cx head from the engine I'll get the tranny from.

krousdb 03-26-2006 12:37 PM

OK, are there even more

OK, are there even more reasons why it is silly or did I cover all of them?

Hey, if you don't need the head then I will take it.

Compaq888 03-26-2006 12:51 PM

problem solved.

problem solved.

krousdb 03-26-2006 12:54 PM

Re: problem solved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888
problem solved.

Cheap, yes. Easy, no.

Compaq888 03-26-2006 01:01 PM

I'd waste my time changing

I'd waste my time changing heads if it gave me 7mpg.

SVOboy 03-26-2006 01:11 PM

You also have to consider

You also have to consider dan's ability to kill epa estimates and the fact that the 8 valver has more torque in the low rpms, which is why I wanna put one on my engine.

Compaq888 03-26-2006 01:15 PM

If it's better EPA then his

If it's better EPA then his original EPA for the car I'm sure his own numbers would go up too.

GasSavers_Ryland 03-26-2006 08:10 PM

if you removed 4 rocker arms

if you removed 4 rocker arms you risk fuel pooling on the back side of the valves that are not working, at least that is the clame for why the vtec-e heads lift those valves that are "off" each rotation, it would have been easyer and cheaper for them to not have those valves open at all under low RPM, but if you read up on it, they do open a crack each rotation.
you could of course get a vtec-e head, wiring harness, ecu, you could also find a differnt cam for your current stock head, and regrind half the intake cams, polish them, so you have 4 valves with much lower lift, and have what would basicly be a vtec-e head, without the vtec.