Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   When to Fill up at the station to get the best value. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/when-to-fill-up-at-the-station-to-get-the-best-value-1846.html)

GasSavers_Explorer 03-27-2006 07:37 AM

When to Fill up at the station to get the best value.

The Theory is simple. To get the BEST value at the gas station when you are filling up your gas tank is to either fill up in the EARLY morning or to Fill up LATE at night when the Air and ground is cool and the tanks under the station are in a settled state. Is this True? or another line of BS? Where I live it's hard actually test due to the price of gasoline fluctuating so frequently. I paid $2.49/gal this morning for Mid-Grade. By the time I go past the same station again tonight the price I'm sure will have changed to something higher or lower. Just from the station to my house which is approx 16 miles on the otherside of the town price was $2.69/gal at same name station for same grade. Is there a way to acutally test this theory? I'm guessing record the amount of fuel that is actually pumped if i can get there when the fuel happens to be the same price?

SVOboy 03-27-2006 07:56 AM

Someone on here way back

Someone on here way back when validated this...it can't hurt I say.

Also, I think MetroMPG has mentioned his gas pumps are volume corrected for temperature.

GasSavers_Explorer 03-27-2006 08:02 AM

Well at least it's saving a penny

Cool cool, thanks for the response... and at least now everyone knows that Hey It's worth keeping in the back of your mind when your out looking for gas between 11pm-5am.... yes all you party goers that forget to get gas BEFORE you go out... lol Thanks again SVOboy...

JanGeo 03-27-2006 10:28 AM

underground tanks

AHHHHHHHH The whole point of underground tanks is stable temeratures so I don't think you will be seeing any big change in the density of fuel between morning and night. Maybe better to gas up just after the tanks are filled or just before they are empty - fresh (cold tanker truck) gas or less volatile components (already evaporated off in the tank).

SVOboy 03-27-2006 03:57 PM

There has none the less got

There has none the less got to be a slight difference.

krousdb 03-27-2006 04:15 PM

Re: There has none the less got

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
There has none the less got to be a slight difference.

Yes, possibly a slight difference. But the pump calibration would have a greater effect. Pumps are calibrated to +/- 0.5%. Choose the pump that registers 99.5% of the fuel rather than the pump that registers 100.5%. Hmmm. That might be difficult to do since the test results are not actually posted on the pump.

JanGeo 03-27-2006 05:26 PM

Temps

If you knew how much gasoline expands and contracts per degree you would realize how little we are talking about unless there is a big temperature difference. Now if you wanted to check the fuel pump then get a 5 gallon ridged fuel container that you fill at various pumps and see which one reads the least amount of fuel pumped. I recommend a 5 gallon container because that is the size they use to test the calibration of the pumps and stations that "play" with the pump calibration usually pump less below and above 5 gallons to cheat you of the fuel.

Compaq888 03-27-2006 06:49 PM

I have been told to refuel

I have been told to refuel at night. I rarely do that.

philmcneal 03-28-2006 12:14 AM

here in canada, volume is

here in canada, volume is corrected to 2 degrees C i think or 23 which ever one sounded more reasonable.

JanGeo 04-03-2006 01:04 PM

refuel

I just got a full tank today and they had the truck deliver this morning and they had not raised the price yet PHEW got lucky ! Usually I get gas on Sunday and the truck seems to come on Monday so I got fresh gas this time - will see if it affects the mileage. I think I will get gas on Sunday to get the better price - paid $2.459 today but I already see local prices at $2.699 for Reg $2.899 for Prem looks like $3 a gallon is not far away - say a 10 to 24 cent price difference from Newport to Tiverton where I gas up.